MASTERMIND GT FIRWARE/EDITOR 4.1 beta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The USB port (the square one) doubles as a second midi port. You can check the merge function in the editor and send midi from the GT midi out and your usb connected ipad to the Axe. Very nice function that allowed me to send the separate scene number to the Axe when using the same preset in different songs but wanted another default scene. Hope I can get this back. If the GT can receive a specific sysex or cc to switch scenes I would be covered.

The USB port (the square one) doubles as a second midi port. You can check the merge function in the editor and send midi from the GT midi out and your usb connected ipad to the Axe. Very nice function that allowed me to send the separate scene number to the Axe when using the same preset in different songs but wanted another default scene. Hope I can get this back. If the GT can receive a specific sysex or cc to switch scenes I would be covered.

Aha!

So to use USB as a 2nd MIDI port for incoming MIDI messages, MIDI Rx Channel must be set.

And when using USB to route outgoing MIDI messages, a generic MIDI device be added with MIDI Port set to'" USB".

Correct?

Yes, midi Rx Channel is the one the GT will listen to. I don't know about the generic midi device, but that should be ok. I only used it for sending midi data from my iPad to the Axe, since what is coming in on the USB port of the GT will be merged and transmitted to the regular midi out. I set different midi channels, one for the iPad to communicate with the GT, another one to communicate directly with the Axe (through the GT).

Enhancement Request / Idea:

Could there be a "Scene" button type, like the Preset button type? I.e., that way I could put the scene buttons where I want them vs. relying on the Scene menu.

Unless I am missing this and it's already there?

Enhancement Request / Idea:

Could there be a "Scene" button type, like the Preset button type? I.e., that way I could put the scene buttons where I want them vs. relying on the Scene menu.

Unless I am missing this and it's already there?

Already in there. When assigning buttons, make sure to use to correct / easy way to do that.
On the hardware by going into Device > Assign Buttons.
In the editor by right-clicking a button and selecting Assign CC.

Already in there. When assigning buttons, make sure to use to correct / easy way to do that.
On the hardware by going into Device > Assign Buttons.
In the editor by right-clicking a button and selecting Assign CC.

Just to make sure I'm clear and understanding both...

I know I can create my own button, but I'm looking for something that will automatically display the Scene name (like the button of type "Preset" does with presets" instead of me having to create an IA button, assign it a CC, etc. That I can do for sure, but much more manual process than I would like.

Make sense?

If you assign a Scene button (as described), and have performed Get Preset Names (including Scene Names), the scene name will automatically be displayed on that button.

If you select Device > Default buttons, the GT will assign scene buttons for you.

BUG:

When I change nothing except the order of songs in the Songs tab, and then select Transfer > Write Changes, the list of songs on the hardware is not updated. I have to select Transfer > Write Settings to make the hardware display the updated list.

The GT has a single MIDI input, which would require be used by the III as well as iPad. Using a hardware merger as a solution would not be compatible with single-cable/bidirectional MIDI.
In my rack I include these two pieces of gear:

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodt8.htm
http://www.midisolutions.com/prodm8.htm

The MIDI out from my controller goes to the MIDI in of the T8 which then feeds all of my MIDI devices. The MIDI outs of all my MIDI devices go to MIDI in ports on the M8 which then returns to my MIDI controller,

If you are using the DIN7F or XLR6F you could simply connect the MIDI in and outs of the DIN7F or XLR6F to the M8 and T8 to enable bi-directional MIDI comms with multiple devices. This is how I am planning to integrate a GT into my rig once I get one.

I already use these units in my rack, and it makes swapping MIDI controllers easy. It also eliminates the latency from chaining multiple MIDI devices together. All devices get MIDI messages at roughly the same time.

Last edited:
Don't know if its a bug or just a setting I'm missing, but when I start my rig up, whatever patch I've got it on last, it reverts back to 1 when I turn it on the next time. It used to start on the last patch I was on when I shut down. Any ideas on how to fix that?

just posted a fix for getting the wah and volume expression pedals to work on the expression pedals thread for any having difficulties with them.

In my rack I include these two pieces of gear:

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodt8.htm
http://www.midisolutions.com/prodm8.htm

The MIDI out from my controller goes to the MIDI in of the T8 which then feeds all of my MIDI devices. The MIDI outs of all my MIDI devices go to MIDI in ports on the M8 which then returns to my MIDI controller,

If you are using the DIN7F or XLR6F you could simply connect the MIDI in and outs of the DIN7F or XLR6F to the M8 and T8 to enable bi-directional MIDI comms with multiple devices. This is how I am planning to integrate a GT into my rig once I get one.

I already use these units in my rack, and it makes swapping MIDI controllers easy. It also eliminates the latency from chaining multiple MIDI devices together. All devices get MIDI messages at roughly the same time.

Those devices are in your rack. That's not ideal when you want to integrate an iPad /tablet that's located at the spot of the musician. It would require running a long USB or MIDI cable.

A small MIDI Solutions Merger could be used near the GT and iPad, but as I wrote, these devices do not support bidirectional MIDI over a single 7-pin cable.

No need for merger if it’s only for connecting an ipad and Axe to the GT. The built in USB port on the Gt is just what you need, and the GT has a built in merge function for usb midi and regular midi port. I use it this way since day 1, but we face another problem with scene syncing as the Axe III don’t send scene data back to the GT, according to Ron.
ATM I’ll do it old school and just stomp on the right footswitch!

Hi,

Finally have the time to test out the beta, and convert my settings. However, I'm having an issue with 'get preset names', because of the way I have my gear set up. Some info about my midi chain:

I've put a midi merge box after the Axe FX, to merge the midi out and midi through ports. This way I can send midi commands from the Axe FX and my GT to the other midi devices in my rack. For example: all PC's for my H9 are stored in the Axe FX, but I can still use the GT expression pedal, because the midi is merged before it gets to the H9.

The merge box has two outputs, one of which goes to the rest of the rack, the other one goes back to the GT.

In this setup the tuner for instance works fine on the GT. Getting preset names however doesn't work, the names get all scrambled. I've found a workaround by disconnecting the through cable from the axe fx when I'm getting the names. Then it works just fine. Could there be a solution so I don't have to open up the back of my rack every time I want to get preset names? Or does the merging create issues that cannot be solved?

Thanks!

Hi,

Finally have the time to test out the beta, and convert my settings. However, I'm having an issue with 'get preset names', because of the way I have my gear set up. Some info about my midi chain:

I've put a midi merge box after the Axe FX, to merge the midi out and midi through ports. This way I can send midi commands from the Axe FX and my GT to the other midi devices in my rack. For example: all PC's for my H9 are stored in the Axe FX, but I can still use the GT expression pedal, because the midi is merged before it gets to the H9.

The merge box has two outputs, one of which goes to the rest of the rack, the other one goes back to the GT.

In this setup the tuner for instance works fine on the GT. Getting preset names however doesn't work, the names get all scrambled. I've found a workaround by disconnecting the through cable from the axe fx when I'm getting the names. Then it works just fine. Could there be a solution so I don't have to open up the back of my rack every time I want to get preset names? Or does the merging create issues that cannot be solved?

Thanks!

I've never tried this, but the GT would be receiving its own commands back from the MIDI Merge. The preset name request message looks an awful lot like the response, it's probably causing the problem. I'm not 100% sure it can be fixed, but I probably can do something.

Don't know if its a bug or just a setting I'm missing, but when I start my rig up, whatever patch I've got it on last, it reverts back to 1 when I turn it on the next time. It used to start on the last patch I was on when I shut down. Any ideas on how to fix that?
Nevermind, I found it. Second page of setup - Start Last Preset. Awesome. I love answering my own questions! Now, how do I use my Mastermind to control my iPhone?

The Axe-Fx doesn't report changes to connected devices, and Cliff says there are no plans to do that. The only answer is to have the GT keep querying the Axe-Fx "what preset is selected?" and "what scene is selected?", over and over again to watch for changes. I really hate to have continuous MIDI chatter going like that, but if that's what people need, I guess I'll do it. Not yet sure that I'm going to hold up 4.1 to get this feature in, it's going to take a lot of testing because it could interfere with MIDI clock and other features.
Could that be an option that is switched on and off?

BUG or Beginner's Problem? (I'm not sure ...).
Device "Generic PC" cannot send CC values 8 or higher , 7 and lower values work fine.

Background:
I've worked with the Axe 3 on 1.14 and the GT22 on 1.4.2b for a few days now and I'm delighted with all the options and flexibility it offers. Controlling the Axe the way it's shown in the video that comes with the GT22 beta works absolutely superb. The Editor also works fine.
So, many thanks to Ron and his co-workers for this fantastic product.

I have a strange thing goin' on though and because I have probably a lot more to learn about all this great stuff I think there's a fair chance that this is actually not a bug but an newby "challenge".

The thing is this:
* Besides controlling the Axe I also want to start/stop backing tracks in my PC.
* I use both Ableton Live 9 and the latest version of Audicity for this purpose. Both require a combination of keystrokes and MIDI-commands.
* To the best of my knowledge the GT22 cannot send keystrokes, so I use Bome Midi Translator for that purpose. I have succeeded in getting this al to work just fine with CC values up to 7, but while implementing I found out that values higher than 7 are not sent by the GT.
* I checked this thread and did not find earlier reports on this, but maybe I misssed it?
* I have "DIRECT SEND" for this device set to ON (field checked in Editor page for this Device)
* So ... am I missing something or or this really a bug?

Thx, Rob

+++++++++++++++++++++
EDIT
Found the problem, nothing wrong with GT22 ... problem was that I set BOME to check on channel 1 for some CC's (in stead of channel 2 where I set the GT to send), which happened to be all above 7. Therefore BOME did not show any input, even it was there, and therefor it seemed nothing was sent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back