MASTERMIND PBC 4.6.3 FIRMWARE / 4.6.1 EDITOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjmmusic

Administrator
Staff member
At long last, here's the 4.6.0 release...

EDIT: Now updated to 4.6.2 4.6.3, details below.

FEATURES:
  • A ton of new device support:
    • Chase Bliss Preamp and CXM1978
    • Several CooperFX devices
    • Seymoud Duncan Dark Sun
    • Empress Zoia
    • Eventide Rose
    • GFI Synesthesia (added new CCs to Specular Tempus too)
    • Hologram Microcosm, Dream Sequence
    • HX Stomp XL (added more CCs to HX Stomp and HX Effects)
    • Jackson Asabi and Golden Boy
    • Meris Hedra
    • Mesa MIDI Matrix
    • Neunaber Neuron
    • Vintage Revolution Pedal Pro (basic unidirectional support)
    • Red Panda Particle, Tensor, Context
    • Source Audio EQ2
    • Strymon Night Sky, more CCs for Volante
    • And of course, Mini Effect Gizmo X and Overture
  • Cycle buttons can now be grouped. If you link one or more of them, step #1 is considered the "off" step which it will return to when another button in the group is activated
  • Cycle buttons can now be IA Linked together
  • Audio loops, buffers, function switches, etc. can be named by the user. There's an "Audio Feature Names" menu option that allows you to set the names.
  • Added CCs for remote bank up and bank down functions
  • System / Wait action will wait a specified number of milliseconds. Please note that this is pretty "dumb" - it will stop everything while it waits, except MIDI clock, so don't make it wait too long. If you're trying to put delays in between messages going to the same device, make sure that that device has Direct Send PC/CC turned on, otherwise you won't get the desired effect.
  • Added the option to send "True" note off messages instead of Note Ons with 0 velocity
  • System Report in the editor now has search functionality
  • The MIDI tab now only shows the CCs that are actually supported by the currently selected model of Mastermind.
BUG FIXES:
  • Removed artificial limit of 99 for IA IDs on hold functions
  • Fixed Previous Preset button type's behavior
  • External switches set to Preset type now number themselves correctly
  • External switches will now repeat correctly (if set to a button type that is supposed to repeat)
  • Page buttons now repeat
  • Note messages are now sent correctly over USB
  • The page selector at the bottom of the Presets tab now works correctly
  • Local pages with IA Cycle buttons now behave correctly
  • The editor didn't handle grouped hold functions correctly in the Presets tab, now fixed
  • Audio / Insert and Invert actions now display correctly in the editor
  • PBC/10 no longer draws excessive current during startup
CHANGES FOR 4.6.1:
4.6.1 started as a bug fix release, but I decided to squeeze in a few extras that didn't quite make the cut for 4.6.0.
  • Fuzz mode! This was something that came to me when working on the new Mini Effect Gizmo. The idea is that you tell the PBC that a loop has a fuzz pedal (or other pedal that doesn't like buffers) in it. Then, when that loop is active (and there are no other active pedals in front of it), the PBC automatically turns off the input buffer so it doesn't interfere. The buffer will automatically come back on when all "fuzz" loops are turned off (if the buffer is enabled). Don't know why I didn't think of this before, it makes a lot of sense. You can find the Fuzz mode settings ni the global Audio tab.
  • Added support for Walrus pedals and Quad Cortex
  • Fixed support for Jackson pedals
  • Fixed CC lists for some RJM products
  • Fixed firmware update problems in editor
  • Fixed system report in editor to show more parameters (IA ID, Min, Max, etc.) Also external switches are now shown properly
  • PBCs will now send tuner data when the tuner is activated via a MIDI CC. Data is sent back on the same port where the tuner CC was received. This allows any Mastermind to use a PBC (or new Mini Effect Gizmo) as a remote tuner and display the results on the Mastermind's screen.
  • Fixed grouping of external switches on pages higher than page 1.
  • Fixed external switches' handling of IA Cycle colors
  • Turning Send Redundant PCs off now works correctly when Direct Send is turned on
  • Fixed the quick flash IA buttons did when changing presets on an Axe-Fx III
CHANGES FOR 4.6.2 (firmware only release):
  • Fixed Get Preset Names on Kemper as much as I could. It won't hang anymore, and it generally works, but sometimes it will put an incorrect name in a blank performance slot. This is something that Kemper has to fix, and they're aware of the issue.
  • Fixed the "w Tails" effect buttons so that they are in sync with the respective delay and reverb blocks
  • Fixed local button pages so that scene buttons are correct when the page is loaded
  • Fixed MIDI Clock = Auto for incoming clock over USB
  • Fixed an incorrect interaction between Previous Preset buttons and Preset 2nd Press = Reload
  • Fixed a bug involving Previous Preset buttons and actions and MIDI banks
  • Did a lot of work in general improving MIDI bank handling. The Mastermind now always sends MIDI banks before PCs during a preset change, for any device that supports banks. Prior, it would try to be "smart" and not send bank numbers it thought were redundant.
CHANGES FOR 4.6.3 (firmware only release):
  • More fixes for Get Preset Names
TO UPDATE FIRMWARE:

PLEASE DON'T DO A MAJOR FIRMWARE UPDATE RIGHT BEFORE YOUR BIG GIG! (Not that many people are gigging right now, but hopefully soon?)

- First, back up your settings to a flash drive or computer! If you go back to 4.5 or earlier, your Mastermind will factory reset.
- Download and unzip the firmware file.
- Copy the file to a USB flash drive, and remove any other .rjf files from the flash drive.
- Eject the drive from your computer.
- Power on the Mastermind while holding the 1 and 3 buttons.
- Keep holding until you see "Mastermind Bootloader" appear on the screen.
- Now plug the flash drive into your Mastermind. The update should begin and will take a few minutes to complete.

-OR-

- First, back up your settings to a flash drive or computer! If you go back to 4.5 or earlier, your Mastermind will factory reset.
- Use the Transfer / Update Firmware menu option to update the Mastermind. This works with the PBC/6X and PBC/10s made after March 2019.

Firmware: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/MM463.zip

Mac Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/MastermindEditor-4.6.1.dmg
PC Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/MastermindEditor-4.6.1.zip

PBC/6X Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC6X/PBC6X Manual-4.3.pdf
PBC/10 Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/PBC Manual-4.2.pdf

Editor Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/wiki

Last edited:
I mean...wow. That pretty much wiped out most of my wish list in one fell swoop!

Stoked for tomorrow now! New expression pedal will be arriving, and now I need to update the PBC and swap out the Morningstar MC6 currently on my board for the MC8 - CC banking for the win!!!

Great update. Is the cycle reset documented? Lastly, do alternate presets allow for endless cycling or are they still reverting back to the calling preset regardless of how it's set?

At long last, here's the 4.6.0 release...

FEATURES:
  • A ton of new device support:
    • Chase Bliss Preamp and CXM1978
    • Several CooperFX devices
    • Seymoud Duncan Dark Sun
    • Empress Zoia
    • Eventide Rose
    • GFI Synesthesia (added new CCs to Specular Tempus too)
    • Hologram Microcosm, Dream Sequence
    • HX Stomp XL (added more CCs to HX Stomp and HX Effects)
    • Jackson Asabi and Golden Boy
    • Meris Hedra
    • Mesa MIDI Matrix
    • Neunaber Neuron
    • Vintage Revolution Pedal Pro (basic unidirectional support)
    • Red Panda Particle, Tensor, Context
    • Source Audio EQ2
    • Strymon Night Sky, more CCs for Volante
    • And of course, Mini Effect Gizmo X and Overture
  • Cycle buttons can now be grouped. If you link one or more of them, step #1 is considered the "off" step which it will return to when another button in the group is activated
  • Cycle buttons can now be IA Linked together
  • Audio loops, buffers, function switches, etc. can be named by the user. There's an "Audio Feature Names" menu option that allows you to set the names.
  • Added CCs for remote bank up and bank down functions
  • System / Wait action will wait a specified number of milliseconds. Please note that this is pretty "dumb" - it will stop everything while it waits, except MIDI clock, so don't make it wait too long. If you're trying to put delays in between messages going to the same device, make sure that that device has Direct Send PC/CC turned on, otherwise you won't get the desired effect.
  • Added the option to send "True" note off messages instead of Note Ons with 0 velocity
  • System Report in the editor now has search functionality
  • The MIDI tab now only shows the CCs that are actually supported by the currently selected model of Mastermind.
BUG FIXES:
  • Removed artificial limit to 99 for IA IDs on hold functions
  • Fixed Previous Preset button type's behavior
  • External switches set to Preset type now number themselves correctly
  • External switches will now repeat correctly (if set to a button type that is supposed to repeat)
  • Page buttons now repeat
  • Note messages are now send correctly over USB
  • The page selector at the bottom of the Presets tab now works correctly
  • Local pages with IA Cycle buttons now behave correctly
  • The editor didn't handle grouped hold functions correctly in the Presets tab, now fixed
  • Audio / Insert and Invert actions now display correctly in the editor
  • PBC/10 no longer draw excessive current during startup
TO UPDATE FIRMWARE:

PLEASE DON'T DO A MAJOR FIRMWARE UPDATE RIGHT BEFORE YOUR BIG GIG! (Not that many people are gigging right now, but hopefully soon?)

- Copy the file to a USB flash drive, and remove any other .rjf files from the flash drive.
- Eject the drive from your computer.
- Power on the Mastermind while holding the 1 and 3 buttons.
- Keep holding until you see "Mastermind Bootloader" appear on the screen.
- Now plug the flash drive into your Mastermind. The update should begin and will take a few minutes to complete.

-OR-

- Use the Transfer / Update Firmware menu option to update the Mastermind. This works with the PBC/6X and PBC/10s made after March 2019.

Firmware: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/MM460.zip

Mac Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/MastermindEditor-4.6.0.dmg
PC Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/MastermindEditor-4.6.0.zip

PBC/6X Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC6X/PBC6X Manual-4.3.pdf
PBC/10 Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/PBC Manual-4.2.pdf

Editor Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/wiki

Ok, I think I found an issue. I updated my editor and PBC then went to name my audio loops. After doing so I did a "send changes to device" command, and now I'm getting an error that says "Unknown state in sysex transmit". It pops up every time I close it, so I'm having to force close the editor to get it to stop.

EDIT: I'm doing some testing, and it is giving me that error no matter what - even if I make no changes.

EDIT #2: Got it to work! I think it's caused by some part of my settings not being updated to the new version properly. I opened a copy of one of my backups, allowed the editor to convert it to 4.6, then send it straight up to the PBC. Now it is working perfectly.

Last edited:
Great update. Is the cycle reset documented? Lastly, do alternate presets allow for endless cycling or are they still reverting back to the calling preset regardless of how it's set?

There isn't much to say about the IA Cycle thing, except that any IA Cycle button that's grouped will reset to step #1 when any other button in the group is activated.

I didn't change anything related to alternate presets in this release.

Ok, I think I found an issue. I updated my editor and PBC then went to name my audio loops. After doing so I did a "send changes to device" command, and now I'm getting an error that says "Unknown state in sysex transmit". It pops up every time I close it, so I'm having to force close the editor to get it to stop.

EDIT: I'm doing some testing, and it is giving me that error no matter what - even if I make no changes.

EDIT #2: Got it to work! I think it's caused by some part of my settings not being updated to the new version properly. I opened a copy of one of my backups, allowed the editor to convert it to 4.6, then send it straight up to the PBC. Now it is working perfectly.

Yeah, it sounds like the settings in the unit itself didn't go through the conversion process the first time. If anyone else sees this, let me know!

Thank you. Question, setting up synesthesia under devices. What boxes should be checked on bottom? I have send PCs and send PC on preset change checked ? Wasn't sure about the redundant box? Max presets I believe is 32. I checked PC offset 1 also. Thanks

The intent was for the checkboxes to be correct when you select the device, so you don't need to change anything. However, I don't have a Synesthesia here, so I only have the manual to go on. If you run into any trouble, let me know.

The intent was for the checkboxes to be correct when you select the device, so you don't need to change anything. However, I don't have a Synesthesia here, so I only have the manual to go on. If you run into any trouble, let me know.
The default is 32 presets, which is correct.
On bottom Send PCs and Send redundant PCs is default checked.
Send CC on preset change is not checked.
The Synesthesia and RJM don't seem to be working correctly together. I set the presets to change in RJM editor. Write changes to device, but the presets are not changing to the correct preset, They keep defaulting back to other presets.

The default is 32 presets, which is correct.
On bottom Send PCs and Send redundant PCs is default checked.
Send CC on preset change is not checked.
The Synesthesia and RJM don't seem to be working correctly together. I set the presets to change in RJM editor. Write changes to device, but the presets are not changing to the correct preset, They keep defaulting back to other presets.
I think I figured out why it wasn't working. Offset needs to be zero. That seems to have fixed that. I also checked the CC on preset change box.

I have just updated my PBC/6x and made clean install of 4.6 editor on my Win PC. I do not see new Jackson Audio devices (Jackson Asabi and Golden Boy) on Devices tab -> Device Type. Still only Bloom & Broken arrow there...

I have just updated my PBC/6x and made clean install of 4.6 editor on my Win PC. I do not see new Jackson Audio devices (Jackson Asabi and Golden Boy) on Devices tab -> Device Type. Still only Bloom & Broken arrow there...
Same here, except on a PBC10, and a Mac, but same outcome: no change in the Jackson Audio devices. I’ve got a Golden Boy on my board, for which I told the PBC it’s a Broken Arrow. It works fine, so not that big a deal.

I see what happened. The bug list has been started!

I think I found a bug in the new release. The button group feature, does not work for the 2 external buttons.

Once again, thank you. Audio loops naming is great feature. Would it be possible to implement something like this for macros? I use them a lot and when creating a preset I constantly have to switch to macros tabs to find out the number of the macro I want to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back