MASTERMIND PBC/6X FAQ

rjmmusic

Administrator
Staff member
What's new about this model?
The big new feature is the ability to rearrange loop order. Your effects can automatically be placed in a different order for each preset. Aside from that, it's smaller and less expensive than the original Mastermind PBC, making it more suitable for smaller pedalboards.

What are its main tech specs?
  • 6 audio loops
  • 1 insert loop, which can be used for a 7th effect, a split point for the 4 cable method or other special routing arrangements
  • 3 loops and the insert loop are switchable between mono and stereo
  • Programmable loop order per preset
  • 1 switchable buffer at the input, and 1 buffer in the insert loop
  • Secondary, switchable unbuffered input
  • Expression pedal input
  • External switch input accepts 1 or 2 button switch
  • Function switch output which can control channel switching on some amps, or additional feature switching on select pedals
  • MIDI output jack, which can be split into an input and output using a Y cable
  • USB connector for connection to a computer to use with our Mastermind Editor or DAW software
  • Easy to read LCD screen displays preset and song names
  • Built-in tuner
  • Fully user configurable using the Mastermind Editor software
  • Extensive MIDI support (the same as our other Masterminds)
  • Built in support for many popular MIDI devices
Why is it called PBC/6X?
The "X" indicates that this is a matrix switcher, which means that you can change the order of loops. We wanted to differentiate the PBC/6X from the PBC/10, which is a relay switcher.

Is the PBC/10 going to be discontinued?
No, we're selling both PBC models.

Will there be a PBC/10X?
We haven't decided that yet. We'd love to hear your opinion on this!

Can I upgrade my original PBC to have loop reordering?
Sorry, no, that would require a complete redesign.

Why would I want the PBC/6X over the PBC/10?
  • The PBC/6X is smaller, which allows it to fit on smaller pedalboards (or allows you to put more pedals on a big board!)
  • The PBC/6X is less expensive
  • The PBC/6X has the ability to change its loop order on the fly
Why would I want the PBC/10 over the PBC/6X?
  • The PBC/10 has more: 10 audio loops (4 stereo), 2 insert points, 3 buffers, 4 function switches, 11 buttons
  • The PBC/10 has an internal line mixer that allows you to use parallel effect routing
  • The PBC/10 has individual left and right outputs, and the right output has an isolation transformer and phase switch
  • The PBC/10's layout has more space in between buttons and a larger LCD
  • The PBC/10 uses relay switching which allows you to use it without any buffers. Matrix switching needs a buffer in front of it when used with a standard guitar
In short, if small size, lower cost or loop reordering are a priority, the PBC/6X is probably a better choice. If you are planning a larger pedalboard with extensive use of stereo effects and parallel routing, then the PBC/10 is what you're looking for.

Why is there no line mixer / parallel capability in the PBC/6X?
The primary goal was to have a smaller, less expensive PBC. Adding an internal line mixer would interfere with both of those goals. You can use our Mini Line Mixer in conjunction with the PBC/6X to get up to three loops in parallel. You won't be able to switch between series and parallel on the fly - you'll get full time parallel routing for the loops connected to the mixer.

What are the dimensions and weight of the PBC/6X?
Dimensions: 10.1 x 4.4 x 2.4 inches (25.7 x 11.1 x 6.1 cm)
Weight: 2 lb (0.9 kg)

When will it be available?
We're hoping to be shipping by the end of March. We will likely be taking preorders in February.

What will it cost?
The projected cost (barring any surprises from manufacturing) is US$699. We will offer a discount to those who preorder. More details on that in the coming weeks.

Is this switcher true bypass?
Yes, it is, although it does it using different hardware than our other switchers. It uses an analog switch matrix chip, which means that the true bypass feature is implemented using transistors instead of relays. When a loop is switched off, it truly is out of the signal path.

Does this switcher convert my signal to digital?
The signal path is never converted to digital. The internal tuner uses a digitized signal, but that signal is split off from the buffer before being digitized and that digitized signal never makes it back to the signal path.

Last edited:
Pretty pretty please do a 10 loop version of this. I like the smaller form factor but it doesn’t really do much good to save pedalboard space if I can’t put new pedals there ;)

Great. But, How does the PBC/6X differ from other switchers on the market?

There are a lot of them on the market now, but our main strengths are:
  • Song and setlist support
  • The most extensive MIDI support
  • Editor software that allows very extensive editing of buttons, MIDI messages, etc.
  • Integrated tuner
  • Larger, easy to read LCD display
  • Direct USB connection to computer, with ability to communicate with DAW software
Although I have not tested it against all competitors, I feel we've gotten the best performance out of the analog switch chip. I spent many extra months just focusing on audio quality, and it really was worth the effort.

If you have any specific comparison questions, please let me know!

I can tell you another thing the PBC has that few, if any, other approaches have, the ability to send commands when you turn a button off (ie second press). Drives me utterly bonkers and hence why I am back to RJM and looking forward to this one :)

I have a few questions about the two different units.

Do the two PBC units sound any different since they use different switching methods? Do the relays have a shorter signal path than the matrix chip design? Also, what about the life expectancy of the two different designs?

I have a few questions about the two different units.

Do the two PBC units sound any different since they use different switching methods? Do the relays have a shorter signal path than the matrix chip design? Also, what about the life expectancy of the two different designs?

I don't hear a difference between the two. Running an audio analyzer on them, the results are almost identical. If you try to use no buffers at all, the matrix version will degrade tone a bit, but as long as you have a buffer on, I can't distinguish it from the PBC/10.

The matrix chip has a much shorter signal path than the relays.

Life expectancy? Not sure. I'd figure that the relays would fail first because they're mechanical devices, but we've been using relays since 2005 and we basically don't have relay failures. The parts we have to replace most often are found in both units, so they should have similar life expectancy.

Hello, I am a new member and I am very interested in the PBC/6X. I'm curious how the "Mix to Mono" feature and the TRS/stereo output works. Could you please explain how the TRS/stereo output works?

"Mix to Mono setting that mixes down left and right sides to a single signal before going to the output."
"There is also a Mix to Mono setting that mixes down left and right sides to a single signal before going to the output."

Can this essentially be run as a stereo ABY? If the output is stereo, would it need a TRS->2x TS cable, running to two separate amps? If you "Mix to Mono" before sending it to the output, could you control if the mono signal goes out on the Tip (left/amp A) or the Ring (right/amp B)? How is this possible without an internal mixer?

The PBC/6X looks near perfect for me. But if I can't run a stereo (Y) with the ability to A/B between the two amps, it might not work for me. Also, there is no Phase or Ground Lift, correct?

Thank you!

A few quick answers:

- Yes, it can work as an ABY switch. Out of the box, there's no way to switch the left and right side independently, but you can easily fix that with the editor. (By default, the output button switches both left and right side on and off simultaneously).
- You will need to use an insert cable (TRS to 2x TS) to make the connection to your amps.
- There is no phase inversion or ground isolation in the unit, you would have to add that externally.
- The Mix to Mono does use a basic mixer to get the job done, but it's not the more complex mixer found in the PBC/10 which is used for parallel routing

Are you planning on using stereo effects or mono effects? I'll need to know that to answer in more detail.

Yes I am using stereo effects:
(board is mono until) -> (possible future addition of Source Audio Spectrum) -> Source Audio Nemesis -> Source Audio Ventris -> Source Audio Vertigo

Ok, if you have stereo effects. the A/B/Y thing will work differently based on whether Mix to Mono is on

Mix off: left output gets left side, right output gets right side
Mix on: left output gets left and right side mixed, right output gets left and right side mixed

In either case, you can turn either or both outputs off at any time.

Hello, @rjmmusic Insert Point question. If the insert point can be used as, say a 7th effect. Does that mean it can be turned on/off via the PBC? Or can it just be placed in the looper as a thru and you have to turn the effect on/off yourself on your board? And can the Insert Point be moved like the other loops in the matrix? Already preordered a white one, so pumped! Thanks!

Hello, @rjmmusic Insert Point question. If the insert point can be used as, say a 7th effect. Does that mean it can be turned on/off via the PBC? Or can it just be placed in the looper as a thru and you have to turn the effect on/off yourself on your board? And can the Insert Point be moved like the other loops in the matrix? Already preordered a white one, so pumped! Thanks!

The insert loop can be switched on and off as well. The only difference between it and the other loops is that it has an integrated buffer.

@rjmmusic How will the output work on the PBC6 if you’re running stereo effects and also want to run out to 2 amps? I see the one “Out” jack and that’s all, so I was curious. Thanks!

@rjmmusic How will the output work on the PBC6 if you’re running stereo effects and also want to run out to 2 amps? I see the one “Out” jack and that’s all, so I was curious. Thanks!

Just like you connect stereo effects, you would need an insert cable or splitter box to split the TRS output to two amps. Best-tronics can build a cable for you, or you might want to talk to Goodwood Audio, their Interfacer might be able to do the job - I just asked them if they can make a version with a TRS input.

Back