Mastermind PBC & editor deep-dive YouTube videos

JimGtr

FYI I just posted a three-part deep-dive video on the RJM Mastermind PBC:

In part 1 I talk about some of it's salient features, walk-through the routing on my board, and explain what button pages are & show how I'm using them.

In part 2 I dive deep into the desktop editor and take you through creating button pages with various types of IA Actions; and also talk about button groups, IA Cycle and other tips.

In part 3 I demonstrate how the "On Preset" checkboxes work, explain some important things to know about button behavior (on press vs on release), and wrap it up by creating a local button page.

In the description box below the videos there are direct links to the various sections if you're just interested in a particular topic.

Enjoy!

Thanks so much for doing these. The vids that are out there already are great but its nice to see a different perspective on how to approach setting up use of such an expansive product. I just got my PBC a week or so ago and am getting things set up and integrated, so these helped me out quite a bit. Cheers!

Thanks for taking the time to create these videos. It opened up a lot of possibilities for me. There is a lot of information here and I have watched the videos several times to try to absorb it all.

One issue that I am having is the following. page 1 = presets, page 2 = loops, page 3 = switches, page 4 = looper functions for my timeline, page 5 = basic setup, page 6 = mobius presets, page 7 = timeline presets, page 8 = gain pedals. page 5 is like the one you set up with a couple overdrive pedals, a couple of delay presets grouped, and button 5 toogles through 3 modulation, button 5 is tap tempo, the loop bottom is set up to go back to preset page and store the settings to the currently selected preset on hold. The problem is that when I save the settings on this page and then go back to the presets page, when I select that preset, it opens up the basic setup button page. I have checked the settings in the editor and tried various things, but I can't figure it out. I have the loop button configured to do the same thing in my mobius and timeline preset pages.

I have 3.1.7 firmware and editor so I am not sure if that makes a difference. My computer is running 10.8.5 and I don't think the current editor software works with that OS so I haven't updated the firmware yet. I think editing the button pages would be difficult on the BPC itself. Anyway if you have any idea what would be causing the basic setup page (page # 5) to be fired when I hit that particular preset, please advise.

You probably have buttons that are triggering page changes on preset change. Make sure that all buttons that have a System / Page action have all checkboxes turned off, except Momentary, which should be on.

You probably have buttons that are triggering page changes on preset change. Make sure that all buttons that have a System / Page action have all checkboxes turned off, except Momentary, which should be on.[/QUOT
I'm not sure if that is the case. On button page 5, I have the loop button setup to go back to page 1 (presets) and to IA store for the hold function. I only have momentary checked for both of these. If I hold this button, it says stored on the screen. If I hit the same button it goes back to page 1 with the green light on for the currently selected preset. If I select another preset and then reselect the previous preset it opens up page 5. This page 5 is not essential to me right now but it seems a cool thing to have if it works properly. The same thing happens when I hold to store the preset from page 6 (mobius presets) and page 7 (timeline presets). It seems something is happening related to the IA store function that I have assigned to the hold function on that button. I am trying to set these up in a consistent way so I have that button set up the same way that I have it on page one. Anyway, not sure if this makes sense.

On your "Basic Setup" button (hold function on button 8 / Mute), you have Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change turned on. Turn them off, turn on Momentary and the problem should go away.

Also, do the same for the Mobius Presets button, Delay Presets button, the Gain button (pages 6 and 7), the Presets button (pages 6 and 7), the untitled button 10 (Bank Up) on page 8. That should keep it from happening again.

That did the trick. Thanks, Ron. One other question. When should the IA LInk box be checked or not checked? Thats the one button I'm not sure about.

That did the trick. Thanks, Ron. One other question. When should the IA LInk box be checked or not checked? Thats the one button I'm not sure about.

If you have two or more buttons that do the same thing, turning on IA Link will insure that turning one button on will automatically turn the other button on. This makes sure the buttons remain in sync with each other.

The page buttons you're using are momentary - pressing the button will trigger the page switch, but the button will not remain in the "on" state. IA Link has no effect on momentary buttons.

Thanks for taking the time to create these videos. It opened up a lot of possibilities for me. There is a lot of information here and I have watched the videos several times to try to absorb it all.

Sounds like Ron got you dialed in with your questions. Glad you found the videos helpful, Denis. Thanks!

If you have two or more buttons that do the same thing, turning on IA Link will insure that turning one button on will automatically turn the other button on. This makes sure the buttons remain in sync with each other.

Hi Ron, are you able to elaborate this more? I'm new to this MIDI stuff, and would like to find out more info for IA Link, to see if it something that can be useful for my setup.

Spinach.

Hi Ron, are you able to elaborate this more? I'm new to this MIDI stuff, and would like to find out more info for IA Link, to see if it something that can be useful for my setup.

Spinach.
IA Link is pretty simple. Say you have a button on one page that turns on one of your drive pedals, and you decide that you want another button on a different page to do the exact same thing. By enabling IA Link for each of those buttons on the two different pages, the PBC will automatically sync the LEDs to accurately show whether they're on/off between the two pages.

For example: If you enable the drive pedal on one page, then flip to the other page, it will show it as enabled there too. If you then turn it off again on the second page and flip back to the first page, it will have turned off there as well.

Hope that makes sense!

For example: If you enable the drive pedal on one page, then flip to the other page, it will show it as enabled there too. If you then turn it off again on the second page and flip back to the first page, it will have turned off there as well.

Thanks PianoMan!!!

So its mainly for certain loops that are on different pages in which you want it to synchronize when the state of the loop/button has changed in one page to be reflected on the other, right?

What about buttons that is assigned to send PC/CC commands, can the IA Link be utilize for it?

Note: I'm mainly using the Mastermind Lt to control my MIDI pedals I don't have the Effect Gizmo...

Spinach

Thanks PianoMan!!!

So its mainly for certain loops that are on different pages in which you want it to synchronize when the state of the loop/button has changed in one page to be reflected on the other, right?

What about buttons that is assigned to send PC/CC commands, can the IA Link be utilize for it?

Note: I'm mainly using the Mastermind Lt to control my MIDI pedals I don't have the Effect Gizmo...

Spinach
Yep! Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it will sync any two buttons that do the exact same thing, regardless of what they're doing.

Back