MASTERMIND PBC FIRMWARE 4.0.11 / EDITOR 4.0.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjmmusic

Administrator
Staff member
Here's the 4.0 firmware release for your enjoyment...

There are quite a few features and fixes, here are most of them:

Audio Features
  • Audio loops can now be set as "independent". This is a global-level setting that is a new option to the locked/unlocked setting. An independent loop does not change when you change presets - it stays in whatever state you last set (by IA button presses).
  • There is now an Audio / Input action that controls the input mute.
  • It's now possible to disable the internal tuner
  • There is a new Guitar mode for the tuner that allows you to set a capo (in semitones) and per-string offsets (in cents). You can also use the Chromatic mode to get the old tuner behavior.
Device Support
  • Added the Tap Button CC to Strymon pedals
  • Added missing Bypass CC for the Strymon Mobius
  • Added support for MD-500 and RV-500
  • Added support for Empress Echosystem, Reverb, Tremolo and Phaser
Expression Pedals
  • You can now define up to 128 expression pedal settings blocks. There's a System / ExpPedal action that allows you to switch expression pedal settings on the fly. This replaces expression pedal grouping
External Switches
  • External switches can now have different functions on different button pages (in addition to the per-preset settings they already have)
  • External switches now pay attention to color settings: setting a color to black means "LED off" and any other color means "LED on"
Function Switches
  • Function switches now have global and preset settings with lock, independent and override settings, just like audio loops do.
Presets
  • Each preset can now have a button color assigned to it. When a preset button calls up a preset, its button color will be displayed on that preset button (if any color is assigned)
  • Each preset can be assigned an alternate preset number. There's a new "Alternate" setting for the "Preset 2nd Press" global setting - when this setting is active, pressing a preset button a second time will recall the preset's alternate preset.
Song / Setlist:
  • It's now possible to select a preset that's not part of the current song, and also possible to select a song that's not part of the current setlist.
  • There is now a System / Song action that allows you to select songs from an IA button, macro, etc. Special values are "None", "Previous" and "Next"
  • The System / Setlist action now has special values "None", "Same", "Previous" and "Next"
  • When switching setlists, will always reset to the first song and preset in the setlist
Tempo
  • Each preset can set a tempo division for the MIDI clock output and the Auto Tap feature
  • Presets can specify a tempo value, or special values "Off", "Same", "Song"
  • Songs can specify a tempo value, or special values "Off", "Same", "Preset"
  • There is now a System / BPM action that allows you to set tempos on the fly. Special values are "Off", "Same", "Song", "Preset", "Plus 1", "Plus 0.1", "Minus 1", "Minus 0.1"
  • There's a setting that enables or disables sending of MIDI start and stop messages when the clock starts and stop
  • There's a setting that enables or disables sending MIDI clock to the secondary output pins of the MIDI in port.
  • "Ignore Preset Tempos" setting forces the system to ignore all tempos in presets and act as if the tempo was set to "Song"
  • There is now an "Auto" setting for the "MIDI Clock" parameter. This one makes the system a clock master unless a clock is received from the USB port or MIDI In port, in which case it becomes a clock slave
Other Features
  • You can now format flash drives from the setup menu
  • MIDI Forwarding setting allows you to use the Mastermind as a USB MIDI interface for other MIDI devices. Works well with Strymon pedals and the Nixie software on a PC or Mac.
  • PC actions now have "Same" and "Prev" values. The former sends the most recently sent PC again. The latter sends the 2nd to last PC again
  • Added a System / IA Store action
  • The amount of time button names are displayed is now user configurable
  • There are now "Copy to Preset" and "Copy from Preset" options accessible by right-clicking on presets in the Presets tab of the editor.
Fixes since the beta release
  • Fixed MIDI Forwarding
  • Fixed settings conversion issues that caused problems with page names and the Dry Mix button
  • Fixed settings load and save of expression pedal settings blocks
  • Fixed how editor looks on high-DPI Windows displays
  • Sending settings to the device no longer kicks you back to the first song in your setlist (unless you change setlists)
  • Added "Same" value for the System / Preset action - reloads the current preset
Fixes in 4.0.1
  • Hold Functions that have IA cycle turned on will now display the cycle step names correctly
  • Preset and song tempos can now be set to special values (Same, Preset, Song, etc.) in the setup menu on the PBC
  • When editing tempos on the PBC, pressing the Mute button will set BPM to the minimum value. This makes it easier to access the BPM special values. Press Mute, then press Val- to get to the special values.
  • Fixed song and setlist selection from incoming PC messages. When "bank=song" is off, only songs within the current setlist will be searched for matching presets.
  • Fixed range checking issues in the editor when editing Audio actions (specifically Signal and Parallel actions)
  • Fixed a bug in the editor that sometimes caused the Alt Preset parameter of the first preset to be corrupted
Fixes in 4.0.2 (firmware release only)
  • Added "Prev" value to the possible values for Alternate Preset. This allows you to return to the previously selected preset
  • Fixed a bug that made it impossible to edit preset or song tempos on the device
  • Fixed a bug that made it impossible to edit empty setlist entries if you'r settings were upgraded from 3.x
  • Fixed the unintentional sending of expression pedal data when changing exp pedal settings
  • Fixed MIDI forwarding errors
Fixes in 4.0.3 (firmware release only)
  • Fixed expression pedals again, this time correctly
Fixes in 4.0.4
  • Fixed preset button status updating from incoming PC messages
  • Fixed the loss of button repeat functionality in certain cases
  • Fixed the inability to change the buffer lock state in the editor
Fixes in 4.0.5 (firmware release only)
  • Fixed a memory issue that occurred in systems with many devices defined
  • Fixed an issue involving momentary hold functions on disabled buttons
Fixes in 4.0.6
  • Fixed handling of external switches on pages > 1
  • Fixed handling of "Previous" preset value in several places
  • Fixed "None" value for System / ExpPedal action, it now returns you to the global exp pedal setting
  • Fixed a conflict between IA Cycle and Global settings
  • Added Source Audio Ventris support
Fixes in 4.0.7:
  • Fixed IA Cycle again, now normal, global and local IA Cycle buttons should all work correctly
  • Fixed an issue where MIDI clock fluctuated during preset change
  • Fixed an issue with external MIDI control of loops, outputs, etc.
  • Fixed System / ExpPedal actions. The "None" special value is renamed to Global to indicate what it really does. Also added "Preset" special value that recalls the current preset's expression pedal settings (if any).
Fixes in 4.0.8:
  • Fixed fluctuation in MIDI clock output during preset changes
Fixes in 4.0.9:
  • Fixed a crash that could happen in certain cases
  • Fixed an issue that occurred when an external switch was set as a tempo button and the tuner was enabled
Fixes in 4.0.10:
  • Made the range of the Contrast setting wider - some new displays we've received are darker and need the contrast set lower than was previously possible
Fixes in 4.0.11:
  • Fixed a bug that could cause the unit to lock up if using an external switch for tap tempo.
TO UPDATE FIRMWARE:

PLEASE DON'T DO A MAJOR FIRMWARE UPDATE RIGHT BEFORE YOUR BIG GIG!

- First, back up your settings to a flash drive or computer! If you go back to 3.1 or earlier, your PBC will factory reset.
- Download and unzip the firmware file.
- Copy the file to a USB flash drive, and remove any other .rjf files from the flash drive.
- Eject the drive from your computer.
- Power on the Mastermind PBC while holding the 1 and 3 buttons.
- Keep holding until you see "Mastermind Bootloader" appear on the screen.
- Now plug the flash drive into your Mastermind PBC. The update should begin and will take a few minutes to complete.

Firmware: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/MM4011.zip

Mac Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/MastermindEditor-4.0.7.dmg
PC Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/MastermindEditor-4.0.7.zip

Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/manuals/PBC/PBC Manual-4.0.pdf

Editor Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/wiki

Last edited:
I finally got MIDI forwarding to work...although Nixie acts a little funny (could be a Nixie problem though and not a PBC problem...not sure). While using it through the PBC, when I make a change to the "grit" setting on a preset for the Timeline for example, it doesn't give me the option to "Write" that change to the Timeline. But if I change any other parameter (like Mix) it does. Weird.

Just so you know, I installed the latest editor and firmware (4.0 non-beta) and the Dry Mix thing is still broken for the button pages. Going to Audio>Signal causes the next drop down to give you zero choices. No way to choose any signal. Right clicking on the button and just trying to assign an internal CC still doesn't work either.

Another thing I noticed while I was trying the above is that it sometimes gives you choices on drop downs that don't make any sense. For example, choose "parallel" and it will let you choose 1-10 below that, giving the impression that any loop can be put in parallel mode. I know it can't...but it may be confusing to others...just FYI.

Let me add to the above "Dry Mix" issue Ron...maybe it'll help in the repair.

I saw in the other thread where you said we should be able to choose "Signal #1: Dry" from the drop down. Well, we can't choose anything at all from that drop down (I'm using the PC version of the editor, maybe it's not a problem for MAC).

If I right click on a button and try to assign internal CC as Dry, it makes the IA action read "Signal #2" for that button. However, since the "other" issue exists that I pointed out above, where you can falsely try to put ANY loop in parallel mode, I found that I can fake it out. If I choose "parallel" and choose Loop 1, and then go back up and change the "parallel" drop down to read "signal", the IA action now reads Signal #1 ON/OFF" as it should. When I write this to the PBC, dry switch works again as it should.

Found another (sorry, not trying to pick this thing apart, I just know you rely on us to find the bugs and report them to make the product better). :)

In my PBC, for preset #1, my "alternate preset" is set as Global and indeed works. If I read the settings from the PBC, it reflects this in the editor. However, if I save this file...close it, and reopen it, it will show the Alt Preset for preset #1 as "None" instead of Global. It only does this for preset #1. All the others seem to be right.

Of course, if I connect to the PBC, read settings, and edit from there (which is what I normally do), the above really doesn't matter. But if I write that file to the PBC right after opening it, it will mess up my first preset.

There, I'll stop for tonight!

I posted this in another thread, but I'll also post it here since the Dry Mix thing will affect all beta testers:

The fix addresses the settings conversion from 3.x to 4.0. If you're going from 4.0 beta to 4.0, it's not going to fix anything, because the conversion has already happened.

It does look like there's still a bug in there, but you can get around it like this:

Go to the Buttons tab, select page 3. Double click the Dry Mix button. Select the Audio / Signal action at the bottom left. Change Subtype to loop, set Number to 1. Now change Subtype back to Signal. The signal dropdown menu won't say anything, but the action list on the left should say Audio / Signal #1. Now save the settings and it should be working.

Thanks for the other reports as well. I think the Nixie issue has to be a Nixie bug. I'll look into the alt preset and parallel issues.

Hello, Ron,
Thanks for the hard work !
I wanted to post 2 things that don't seem to be working on 4.0:
1-I have my external 2 switch set to display flashing tempo and when I startup my PBC, it doesn't flash the tempo until I actually tap it.
2- I wanted to have a second press on the global with that would revert to the preset I was on before I went to global... doesn't seem to work when I set a second step on the Global IA and go to previous ( It only goes from the previous preset to the pre-previous, and skips the global altogether)
Could be I am doing something wrong but I tried everything I know

Hello, Ron,
Thanks for the hard work !
I wanted to post 2 things that don't seem to be working on 4.0:
1-I have my external 2 switch set to display flashing tempo and when I startup my PBC, it doesn't flash the tempo until I actually tap it.
2- I wanted to have a second press on the global with that would revert to the preset I was on before I went to global... doesn't seem to work when I set a second step on the Global IA and go to previous ( It only goes from the previous preset to the pre-previous, and skips the global altogether)

I will look into those, but regarding the first issue - what are the tempo settings for your first preset and first song (if you're using songs)?

Oh I got it... we already discussed this : you can't set a global tempo for when the PBC starts up ...
I thought maybe that was added in 4.0 but I don't see it so If i have a delay set on a preset ( I don't use song mode)
I can't see the light flashing until I tap the tempo I guess ... Oh well
Thanks anyway

I am still unable to get Nixie to detect anything when plugged into the PBC. Maybe one of you much smarter than me persons can help. Heres what I have: PBC>MOBIUS>TIMELINE>BIGSKY all connected via MIDI. I use a USB to connect PC to PBC like normal. Does the MIDI loop need to close by connecting back to PBC? I've tried MIDI FORWARD off/on trick, no luck.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I am still unable to get Nixie to detect anything when plugged into the PBC. Maybe one of you much smarter than me persons can help. Heres what I have: PBC>MOBIUS>TIMELINE>BIGSKY all connected via MIDI. I use a USB to connect PC to PBC like normal. Does the MIDI loop need to close by connecting back to PBC? I've tried MIDI FORWARD off/on trick, no luck.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Correct, you have to close the loop from BigSky back to PBC. Midi Forward has to be on....and this last part took me a while to find out....you have to CLOSE the PBC editor software before Nixie will find your pedals. Can't have both open at the same time!

Once I did that, it worked.

Correct, you have to close the loop from BigSky back to PBC. Midi Forward has to be on....and this last part took me a while to find out....you have to CLOSE the PBC editor software before Nixie will find your pedals. Can't have both open at the same time!

Once I did that, it worked.

I'm guessing that this is on a PC? I did all of my Nixie testing on a Mac, I should've tried on a PC as well. Thanks for mentioning this. The PC's standard MIDI driver does seem to have trouble with multiple programs trying to use a MIDI device at the same time.

I'm guessing that this is on a PC? I did all of my Nixie testing on a Mac, I should've tried on a PC as well. Thanks for mentioning this. The PC's standard MIDI driver does seem to have trouble with multiple programs trying to use a MIDI device at the same time.

Correct Ron, I'm on PC. Is there any way to update to a MIDI driver on PC that will prevent this issue? Or am I stuck with it?

Correct Ron, I'm on PC. Is there any way to update to a MIDI driver on PC that will prevent this issue? Or am I stuck with it?

As far as I can tell, I would have to write a new driver specific to our products. Not sure how bad that would be, but it probably wouldn't be fun!

Oh I got it... we already discussed this : you can't set a global tempo for when the PBC starts up ...
I thought maybe that was added in 4.0 but I don't see it so If i have a delay set on a preset ( I don't use song mode)
I can't see the light flashing until I tap the tempo I guess ... Oh well
Thanks anyway

You can set up a macro with a System / BPM action, then set it as your startup macro. Just tried it here and it works for me.

Hello, Ron,

Try this: edit your Global Preset button. It should have two actions:
System / Preset preset:Global
System / Macro off:1 on:None

Make sure all checkboxes are off except IA Link

Then, create Macro #1 (or a different number if #1 is being used). Turn on the "Force state to" checkbox, and select "On". Add the following action:

System / Preset preset: previous

Anyone recommend a MIDI hub for under my board? The last device in my MIDI chain is the YNOT, no MIDI thru, so I'll need to add to hub to get my Strymon's back to the PBC for Nixie to work.

The MIDI Solutions Thru or Quadra Thru are probably the most commonly used ones, and they work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back