Status
Not open for further replies.

rjmmusic

Administrator
Staff member
Another new release for you...

FEATURES:
  • (UNTESTED) Support for Fractal Audio FM3 and Strymon Compadre
  • Dev PC -/+ and IA buttons that select presets on devices can now be linked together so that selecting one updates the other. Any time a PC or bank message is sent to a device, the Dev PC buttons will update to reflect the new numbers. If an IA button has a CC0 or CC32 action followed by a PC action as the first two messages, or just a PC action as the first action, and IA Link is turned on, the IA button respond to other IA buttons and the Dev PC -/+ buttons. For example, a button that sends PC 10 to a device will automatically turn on when PC 10 is sent to the device, even if it was sent by another button.
  • The MIDI Merge setting has been broken into In, Out and USB settings. You can use these to choose which ports are forwarded to the output, and which aren't. If you were merging from the In to the Out port, you will have to manually turn on the Merge: In setting after upgrading to this release. The Out setting is new and allows the input side of the bidirectional MIDI Out port to be forwarded out the MIDI Out port, which wasn't possible before.

BUG FIXES:
  • Fixed drag-to-swap feature - it didn't work correctly when dragging to external switches
  • Fixed some CC values for Strymon pedals
  • Fixed special characters in preset, song and setlist names

TO UPDATE FIRMWARE:

PLEASE DON'T DO A MAJOR FIRMWARE UPDATE RIGHT BEFORE YOUR BIG GIG!

- First, back up your settings to a flash drive or computer! If you go back to 4.2 or earlier, your Mastermind will factory reset.
- Download and unzip the firmware file.
- Copy the file to a USB flash drive, and remove any other .rjf files from the flash drive.
- Eject the drive from your computer.
- Power on the Mastermind while holding the 1 and 3 buttons.
- Keep holding until you see "Mastermind Bootloader" appear on the screen.
- Now plug the flash drive into your Mastermind. The update should begin and will take a few minutes to complete.

-OR-

- First, back up your settings to a flash drive or computer! If you go back to 4.2 or earlier, your Mastermind will factory reset.
- Download and unzip the firmware file.
- Use the Transfer / Update Firmware menu option to update the Mastermind. This works with the PBC/6X and PBC/10s made after March 2019.

Firmware: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/MM450.zip

Mac Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/MastermindEditor-4.5.0.dmg
PC Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/MastermindEditor-4.5.0.zip

PBC/6X Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC6X/PBC6X Manual-4.3.pdf
PBC/10 Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/PBC Manual-4.2.pdf

Editor Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/wiki (not yet updated for 4.5)

Last edited:
Hi

I try to update the firmware of my PBC to 4.5
I follow the procedure but when i get to the Bootloader i insert the flash drive i get the message unable to open directly.
My PBC is 4.3.0 and i tried updating to 4.3.2 and i get the same message.

Last edited:
A few things to try:

- Make sure you're selecting "Eject Drive" on the computer before removing it
- Make sure the file is not zipped - if it is, double click the zip file to extract the rjf file inside, and copy that to the drive
- Delete all rjf files from the flash drive except the one you want the Mastermind to load
- If none of that helps, try a different flash drive. USB 3 drives have problems with the Mastermind, and larger flash drives can be problematic as well 32GB or less USB 2.0 flash drives tend to work the best.

I do eject drive
The file i get when clicking on the firmware download link is not Zipped, it is named MM450.rjf and is 543K big. If i clic on it it opens the editor.
All rtf files are deleted from flash drive.
Flash drive used is the one i got from RJM when i bout the type Mastermind spring 2019.
I have used it to update to 4.3.
And i still get the unable to open directly when i get to bootloader (2.0)

I tried downloading the file and I was able to update a PBC using it. If you have bootloader 2.0, try updating using the Firmware Update option in the Mastermind Editor's Transfer menu - you can do the update over the USB connection to the computer instead of a flash drive.

Hi. Just did the Firmware update option. Worked great.
Thanks for answering all my questions.
Best regards.

Pierre

Trying to update to 4.5.0. I'm using the transfer/update. I get an error saying: error validating: file block to long. Not sure what to do from there? Also, should you update both firmware and editor? Any order on doing so better?

Update the firmware first, although it doesn't really matter. I recommend downloading the firmware again, maybe the last download got corrupted.

Ron... Attempted to move from 4.3.2 to 4.5.0 code. I run a WDW rig... and was getting dry signal thru the wet speakers. The config file stated it needed to be converted. Tried several things with no success. Performed a factory reset and placed the PBC on release 4.5.0, then recreated a portion of my configuration from scratch on 4.5.0. Everything is working as expected again.

Last edited:
Any chance we could see an android and ios pbc edit app? It would be so much easier to carry my phone or iPad to the gig instead of a laptop.

Can I ask what language the editor is written in? Not a developer, but trying to learn.

Any chance we could see an android and ios pbc edit app? It would be so much easier to carry my phone or iPad to the gig instead of a laptop.

Can I ask what language the editor is written in? Not a developer, but trying to learn.

That's definitely one of the top 3 most requested features, and probably the one that's been requested the longest. The biggest problem is redesigning the user interface for a small touch screen. Things that make sense with a keyboard and mouse don't necessarily translate well to mobile.

I use C++ with Qt to develop the editor. That makes it easier to develop Windows and Mac versions simultaneously. It also theoretically makes iOS and Android versions easier, but it's up to me to come up with a workable design for the UI.

I'm hoping that some changes planned for 5.0 will make it easier to get to the eventual goal of the mobile editor.

That's definitely one of the top 3 most requested features, and probably the one that's been requested the longest. The biggest problem is redesigning the user interface for a small touch screen. Things that make sense with a keyboard and mouse don't necessarily translate well to mobile.

I use C++ with Qt to develop the editor. That makes it easier to develop Windows and Mac versions simultaneously. It also theoretically makes iOS and Android versions easier, but it's up to me to come up with a workable design for the UI.

I'm hoping that some changes planned for 5.0 will make it easier to get to the eventual goal of the mobile editor.

That's a totally respectable answer. I'm interested to see 5.0's implementations. I also get that the UI would need a serious retooling for a small screen device. I would be happy to help design mockup ideas for that if you would find it beneficial.

And maybe even you decide that it doesn't make as much sense to develop a full editor for the phone, but instead release a scaled back version for that. Maybe something that just rearranges songs in a set list, and loads the new rjm file? That's 90% of my edits from week to week. Though I'm pretty sure you could easily come up with a good working full editor UI for a tablet size device I think.

That's a totally respectable answer. I'm interested to see 5.0's implementations. I also get that the UI would need a serious retooling for a small screen device. I would be happy to help design mockup ideas for that if you would find it beneficial.

And maybe even you decide that it doesn't make as much sense to develop a full editor for the phone, but instead release a scaled back version for that. Maybe something that just rearranges songs in a set list, and loads the new rjm file? That's 90% of my edits from week to week. Though I'm pretty sure you could easily come up with a good working full editor UI for a tablet size device I think.

If you have the time and inclination to work out an idea, it would be helpful for sure. One thing I'm pretty sure about is making Setlists/Songs/Presets a hierarchical list instead of having them on separate tabs. It seems like managing everything would be easier.

I agree with Zach, a scaled back version for editing songs and setlists would already be great as a mobile solution. I woulnd't mind having to use a computer for "deep-editing". Once your setup works, most changes will only be song and setlist related.

If you have the time and inclination to work out an idea, it would be helpful for sure. One thing I'm pretty sure about is making Setlists/Songs/Presets a hierarchical list instead of having them on separate tabs. It seems like managing everything would be easier.
What do you think about this? Just a rough idea. Presets, songs, and set lists can be their own screens just like the PC/Mac app. You can hide the other functions behind the hamburger menu button.
PBCedit iPad app.jpg

The problem I've found is that the checkboxes, combo boxes and other small UI elements are pretty hard to use on a touchscreen. I feel there needs to be a much more drastic change to the design, and that's one of the main things that's keeping me from doing it

The problem I've found is that the checkboxes, combo boxes and other small UI elements are pretty hard to use on a touchscreen. I feel there needs to be a much more drastic change to the design, and that's one of the main things that's keeping me from doing it
I can see your point. I can think of something more streamlined for touch. Btw where is a better place for this discussion? Should I post my next UI template in the general discussion so more people will offer ideas, or in the feature request section?

Hello everybody, I have a question: Does the current Mastermind editor 4.5.0 work with macOS Bug Sur (10.15.5)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back