MASTERMIND PBC FIRMWARE / EDITOR 4.7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjmmusic

Administrator
Staff member
Here's firmware and editor 4.7.0, which makes a few small fixes and adds new device support.

FEATURES:
  • New device support:
    • Fractal FM9
    • Free The Tone pedals (5 of them)
    • Suhr microMIDI and Discovery
    • Strymon Zelzah
    • Sound Sculpture ABCadabra, Abyss, Volcano
    • Wampler Terraform
  • Fixed a bug in Axe-Fx III Poll State where it sometimes failed to scan for effect block states
  • Fixed the default setting for buttons that control Axe-Fx III effect blocks, so that they automatically sync with the Axe-Fx
  • Fixed independent loops and function switches so that they power up in the user-specified default state instead of always being off on powerup.
TO UPDATE FIRMWARE:

PLEASE DON'T DO A MAJOR FIRMWARE UPDATE RIGHT BEFORE YOUR BIG GIG!

- First, back up your settings to a flash drive or computer! If you go back to 4.5 or earlier, your Mastermind will factory reset.
- Download and unzip the firmware file.
- Copy the file to a USB flash drive, and remove any other .rjf files from the flash drive.
- Eject the drive from your computer.
- Power on the Mastermind while holding the 1 and 3 buttons.
- Keep holding until you see "Mastermind Bootloader" appear on the screen.
- Now plug the flash drive into your Mastermind. The update should begin and will take a few minutes to complete.

-OR-

- First, back up your settings to a flash drive or computer! If you go back to 4.5 or earlier, your Mastermind will factory reset.
- Download and unzip the firmware file.
- Use the Transfer / Update Firmware menu option to update the Mastermind. This works with the PBC/6X and PBC/10s made after March 2019.

Firmware: https://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/MM470.zip

Mac Editor: https://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/MastermindEditor-4.7.0.dmg
PC Editor: https://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/MastermindEditor-4.7.0.zip

PBC/6X Manual: https://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC6X/PBC6X Manual-4.3.pdf
PBC/10 Manual: https://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/PBC Manual-4.2.pdf

Last edited:
It would be great to see the new features from the megx editor in the pbc editor. Mainly the beautiful UI redesign and the renaming loops feature. Thanks!

It would be great to see the new features from the megx editor in the pbc editor. Mainly the beautiful UI redesign and the renaming loops feature. Thanks!
Renaming is already available, although a bit more hidden. Go to the Edit menu and select Audio Feature Names, and you can rename everything there.

Have there been any problems with 4.7.0? I just updated to 4.7.0 (both firmware and the mac app) and I can't write to the device twice in one session. I can write once. The next I time I try to write, it freezes and I have to force quit. This is reproducible for me (happens every time). It also freezes every time I try to read from the device.

Have there been any problems with 4.7.0? I just updated to 4.7.0 (both firmware and the mac app) and I can't write to the device twice in one session. I can write once. The next I time I try to write, it freezes and I have to force quit. This is reproducible for me (happens every time). It also freezes every time I try to read from the device.
No one else has reported that so far. Try bypassing any USB hub if you have one. What version of MacOS are you running?

I'm on Mojave 10.14.3 (I'm realizing how old this is, so I could definitely start by updating). I'm not using a USB hub, but I am using a second USB cable (like an extender).

I'm on Mojave 10.14.3 (I'm realizing how old this is, so I could definitely start by updating). I'm not using a USB hub, but I am using a second USB cable (like an extender).
Mojave should be ok, but I have not tested with it. I definitely recommend trying without the extender. I use an extender sometimes in our office, and it works in some situations but not in others.

Okay, it does work without the extender, which is kind of a bummer. I mean, it's great that it works, but the extender is helpful. I did notice it does still lock up if I close my laptop (put it to sleep) and reopen it with the Mastermind connected and the app open and then try to write. But that's probably a little more expected.

Well, I take it back. I'm using it now without the extender, and it's exhibiting the same behavior. I can only write once, and then it locks up thereafter. It definitely did work last night for a while once I stopped using the extender.

Do you have another computer you could try it with? If it exhibits the same problem with two computers, we can be pretty sure the problem is internal.

I can install it on my work computer temporarily I guess. Are there some cords that work better than others? I bought a new cord for this that has a USB-C connection on one end so I can plug it straight into my macbook (this one).

I can install it on my work computer temporarily I guess. Are there some cords that work better than others? I bought a new cord for this that has a USB-C connection on one end so I can plug it straight into my macbook (this one).
That cable should be fine (although admittedly I haven't tried that specific one). Things are a little more complicated with USB C, but I use a USB C equipped Mac every day. I have a hub in between computer and Mastermind, which shouldn't make a difference. But it does make me wonder - would it work better if you had a hub in between? Might be worth trying if the Mastermind ends up working fine on another computer.

The weird thing is that it is intermittent. Occasionally it will let me write over and over. Most of the time it does not. I haven't been able to find any pattern as to when it does or doesn't. Is there a particular order you recommend for doing things? Like power up the mastermind first then connect to a computer or vice versa?

The weird thing is that it is intermittent. Occasionally it will let me write over and over. Most of the time it does not. I haven't been able to find any pattern as to when it does or doesn't. Is there a particular order you recommend for doing things? Like power up the mastermind first then connect to a computer or vice versa?
The order shouldn't matter. It sure seems like a data corruption issue, because it's so random. We just have to figure out why.

I'm using my work computer now, and so far it seems to be working, although it's hard to know for sure since it was an intermittent issue anyway. I'll keep using it for now just see if it stays consistent. Haven't tried windows yet. I should note that my work computer is pretty much brand (just shipped to me last week), whereas my personal macbook is . . . maybe 2018 model?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back