Mastermind PBC Firmware/Editor 4.9.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjmmusic

Administrator
Staff member
Firmware and editor 4.9.0 are now available! (Now updated to 4.9.1, see below...)

FEATURES:
  • New device support:
    • Red Panda Bitmap 2 and Raster 2
    • Strymon V2 pedals: Bluesky, Deco, Dig, El Capistan, Flint, Lex
    • Wampler Metaverse
  • Fixed the Off Preset LED color option, which didn't quite work in 4.8.1
  • Added Dynamic Distortion block support in Axe-Fx III
  • Fixed an editor bug in the PC messages section that can cause PCs to be sent when they aren't supposed to
CHANGES IN 4.9.1:
  • A proposed fix to a problem that caused the editor to hang during settings transfers on Macs. Let's hope this works!
  • Fixed the inability to select a few Axe-Fx III CCs at the end of the CC list
  • Fix bug that prevented Song action from updating preset button names
TO UPDATE FIRMWARE:

PLEASE DON'T DO A MAJOR FIRMWARE UPDATE RIGHT BEFORE YOUR BIG GIG!

- First, back up your settings to a flash drive or computer! If you go back to 4.7 or earlier, your Mastermind will factory reset.
- Download and unzip the firmware file.
- Copy the file to a USB flash drive, and remove any other .rjf files from the flash drive.
- Eject the drive from your computer.
- Power on the Mastermind while holding the 1 and 3 buttons.
- Keep holding until you see "Mastermind Bootloader" appear on the screen.
- Now plug the flash drive into your Mastermind. The update should begin and will take a few minutes to complete.

-OR-

- First, back up your settings to a flash drive or computer! If you go back to 4.7 or earlier, your Mastermind will factory reset.
- Download and unzip the firmware file.
- Use the editor's Transfer / Update Firmware menu option to update the Mastermind. This works with the PBC/6X and PBC/10s made after March 2019.

Firmware: https://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/MM491.zip

Mac Editor: https://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/MastermindEditor-4.9.1.dmg
PC Editor: https://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/MastermindEditor-4.9.1.zip

PBC/6X Manual: https://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC6X/PBC6X Manual-4.3.pdf
PBC/10 Manual: https://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/PBC/PBC Manual-4.2.pdf

Last edited:
Hi Ron. Thanks for constantly updating and improving. I've updated the Mastermind PBC 10 and editor to 4.9.0. Every time I make a change in the editor, I get the spinning beach ball after writing changes to device. It doesn't come back and I have to force quit and relaunch every time. I'm on MacOS Monterey 12.4 on an M1 MacBook Pro.

Is this happening to anyone else?

Last edited:
HI Guys. When I write changes or write settings to device, after it completes writing, the editor stops responding and I have to force quit it.
I wasn't having this problem with 4.8.1. Both the Editor and Firmware are on 4.9.0. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

HI Guys. When I write changes or write settings to device, after it completes writing, the editor stops responding and I have to force quit it.
I wasn't having this problem with 4.8.1. Both the Editor and Firmware are on 4.9.0. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
That's really odd, I haven't had anyone else report that. It just hangs, no error messages or crash reports?

I think I can get a report after I force quit. I’ll send it tonight. I’m using a USB-C to USB-A unpowered hub to plug the USB A to B cable in with. It was working on 4.8.1. Would that have anything to do with it?

Hi Ron. I was able to take a sample from the activity monitor while the Editor was not responding. See attached files

Attachments

• Sample of MastermindEditor.txt
    83.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 11.07.02 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 11.07.02 pm.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
Thank you so much for the update on the "off color" function! Now it works like a charm for me and I'm very happy! It's so much easier now for me to remember the presets of a song! Thanks a lot!

I'm still having trouble when writing settings or changes to device. It doesn't happen when reading from device. I updated to Mac OS 12.5 a couple of days ago and switched to a powered USB hub. The USB hub is attached to my Monitor, but it still reads from and writes changes to the PBC10. I re downloaded the 4.9.0 editor and did the firmware update again via the Editor. That hasn't fixed it unfortunately. The editor freezes every time after I write settings or changes to device. Does this have anything to do with my USB connection? Could you find anything in my crash report?

Last edited:
I haven't been able to reproduce the problem, and all the crash report tells me is that it's MIDI related.

Does it work if you connect the PBC directly to the Mac, no hub in between?

Hi Ron. I just got a new USB-C to B cable. I connected directly to the Mac and same result. Is it something to do with the settings I have in the editor?

There aren't any editor settings that would affect this.

I updated two Macs here to 12.5 today and have not seen any issues transferring settings. This is going to be pretty hard to track down if I can't reproduce the problem...

What can I send you that would show what the problem is?
I would have to have your actual computer here to get any further with this, unfortunately.

I will try it on an M1 Macbook Air this weekend. That's the only M1 Mac that I have any access to. Maybe the M1 thing is a factor. I did some testing with M1 when they were new, and didn't see any problems, but have not tested it recently.

I have a 2010 iMac that is on iOS 10.14 I think. I I’ll update that to 4.9.0 later today and see if that runs fine while writing changes. If it is an M1 issue, can the editor be updated to work with M1?

Hi Ron. I just updated my 2010 iMac running 10.13.6, and the same thing happened. USB-A to B connected directly to the iMac.
Not sure what to do.

Did it work before you updated it?

Edit: And, is it the same problem (spinning beach ball), or is it something else? Also, are you sure the PBC is running 4.9.0? The version is displayed in the lower right corner of the screen when it powers up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back