Mastermind PBC Firmware/Editor 4.9.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both the M1 MacBook and the iMac did. I’m wondering if I should go back to 4.8.1. How do I tell if my PBC was built after March 2019?

Hi,
I just got my PBC/6X and am having trouble with the loop ordering in the preset section. The drag and drop works fine in the main audio tab, but if I go to the audio section per preset, nothing happens when I try to drag and drop the loop order. I’m wondering if there is some other setting somewhere that I can’t find that is preventing setting the loop order in the preset section? Im running 4.9.0 editor and 4.9.0 firmware. Thanks for any help.

Edit:
The problem is when I click on the ‘>’ button to override the loop order, the Loop Order box collapses and all that is displayed is the ‘>’ button, which is now blue. Also, when going through the menu system on the PBC itself and navigating to Edit Loop Order for a preset, there is nothing to do there. See pics below.

Edit #2: Well this appears to only be the case with Preset 1. All other presets have expected behavior. Curious if this is a known thing or why Preset 1 is acting differently for me. Thanks!

B037A48F-C621-4E81-94D0-A9B8972F9BBC.jpeg

EAEAB7C0-6BF7-4214-8DAC-8DB230F7CA6E.jpeg

F8CC323F-129D-4E60-9D55-108EAE372830.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like preset 1's loop order got corrupted somehow. Copy preset 2 to preset 1, then you should be able to edit preset 1 normally.

The iMac worked the last time I used it with 4.8.1. Which was mid June sometime. It's the same issue with the spinning ball after it sends the update to the PBC. The PBC gets updated, then the spinning ball starts and the Editor doesn't respond. I'm running 4.9.0 on the PBC. I've updated it via Memory Stick with 4.9.0 downloaded from this thread and once via the 4.9.0 Editor after a few days of the editor not working. The M1 Macbook Pro was working on 4.8.1 also. Thanks and sorry to be a pain. The editor is so convenient.

Attachments

• IMG_4076.jpg
    IMG_4076.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1
I'll keep working on it, I just can't figure out what the problem would be. I ran it on an M1 Macbook Air this weekend with no problems.

Do you have any other MIDI devices connected to your Mac?

No other MIDI Devices connected to the Mac externally. I have Ableton Live Suite 11 installed, but shut down when updating the PBC. I haven’t used that with the PBC yet, although I plan to.

I use a transcription program called Transcibe! that I connect the PBC to and control via midi using the same USB cable. I have a button page setup for that. It’s usually shut down when I update the PBC.

I have a Strymon Timeline and Mobius connected to the PBC with midi. It’s never been a problem before. Should I try unplugging the midi out of the PBC before an update?

No other MIDI Devices connected to the Mac externally. I have Ableton Live Suite 11 installed, but shut down when updating the PBC. I haven’t used that with the PBC yet, although I plan to.

I use a transcription program called Transcibe! that I connect the PBC to and control via midi using the same USB cable. I have a button page setup for that. It’s usually shut down when I update the PBC.

I have a Strymon Timeline and Mobius connected to the PBC with midi. It’s never been a problem before. Should I try unplugging the midi out of the PBC before an update?
If it's only connected to the MIDI out and not the MIDI In, it can't affect anything at all. The MIDI In shouldn't affect anything, but unplugging anything that might be plugged in there that is worth trying.

I only plug into the midi in when connecting to Nixie which is rare these days. Only plugged into midi out of the PBC when updating. Then to Mobius, then to Timeline. I re-set up a button page for the Timeline looper a few of weeks ago After deleting it a while ago. And a button page for Transcribe! Could I have made mistakes there that would cause it?

Your configuration file shouldn't have anything to do with the problem, at least not that I know of.

EDIT: but, since you can read settings from the unit, you may as well send them to me so I can try them here.

Hi Ron. I tried uploading the export of everything read from the PBC last night. I couldn’t get it to save with my post. Is it the export from the file menu of the Editor?

Hi Ron. I tried uploading the export of everything read from the PBC last night. I couldn’t get it to save with my post. Is it the export from the file menu of the Editor?
No, just use the normal Save or Save As functions.

Hi Ron. Thanks for constantly updating and improving. I've updated the Mastermind PBC 10 and editor to 4.9.0. Every time I make a change in the editor, I get the spinning beach ball after writing changes to device. It doesn't come back and I have to force quit and relaunch every time. I'm on MacOS Monterey 12.4 on an M1 MacBook Pro.

Is this happening to anyone else?
Hey Ron! I wanted to chime in and say I'm having this exact same problem and I don't know how to fix it either. I updated my RJM and Editor to the latest 4.9.0 firmware last week and since then I have this same issue down to the T just as Chris does.

I'm on a different Mac though - I'm running a MacBook Pro 2019 on OS 10.14 (Mojave) with an Intel chip, not an M1 chip.

I know you mentioned you haven't had anyone else report this either so I created an account to let you know I've been experiencing this all week too. Let me know if you need anything from me. I've had my PBC 10 for about 5 years now and use it weekly, amazing device and thankful that you created it. Keep up the amazing work Ron and hopefully we can figure out what may be causing the spinning beach ball.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I've tried to upload my settings several times unsuccessfully. It gets to 100% and seems fine until I save the post and the settings aren't included. On my Mac I use Safari. I also emailed the settings to my work PC and tried to upload them here with Google Chrome. Also unsuccessful. Can the .rjs file normally be uploaded to a forum post?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 1.06.15 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 1.06.15 pm.png
    73.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I've tried to upload my settings several times unsuccessfully. It gets to 100% and seems fine until I save the post and the settings aren't included. On my Mac I use Safari. I also emailed the settings to my work PC and tried to upload them here with Google Chrome. Also unsuccessful. Can the .rjs file normally be uploaded to a forum post?
You should be able to upload the file here, but since that's not working, please send to support@rjmmusic.com instead.

Good news, it is in fact related to your settings - you have a MIDI device set up on the USB MIDI port. If you get rid of that device, or change it to the MIDI Out port, it no longer hangs.

I'll fix it as soon as I can figure out what's going on. Now that I can reproduce the problem, it should be a lot easier to track down. In the meantime, that workaround should get you going for now.

Others that are seeing this problem - do you also have a device using the USB port?

Hi Ron. I had Transcribe! set up on the Midi Port as USB. I've switched it to Midi Out, written changes and voila, no beach ball.
Only problem is, the PBC stopped controlling Transcribe. Will the PBC still be able to send Midi to Transcribe via USB if it's set to Midi Out?
I'll do some more investigation tonight, if I have time. I do have a Roland UM-1 somewhere that I can use temporarily.

Thanks also Obsidian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back