MEG CS Not Working

cgscotto

I have one problem and one question:

Problem: The CS stopped working on my MEG. When I use the CS output, the sound is very low output and distorted as if it is grounding. The regular output works fine. I am experienced soldering and working on electronics. Do you have any advice what to check, replace, and or fix to get the MEG CS working?

Question: Can you run two MEGs in series; i.e., the output from the CS of one MEG into the buffered input of a second MEG and CS output from second MEG to amp input? I know this is possible because the Effects Gizmo is in some ways several MEGs running in series. I guess what I am asking are there any drawbacks to running two MEGs in series?

As always, thanks!

If the buffer's still working, then the mostly likely thing that needs to be replaced is FET1, which is near the CS Out jack. It's a three-lead transistor. Part number is Fairchild / On Semiconductor J111.

Thanks, replacing FET 1 did the trick. All is good again. I am going to have to get a really thin tipped iron designed for PCBs if I am going to do this again. Those were some small eyelets on the board.

Well done! Definitely recommend a 1/16" or 1/32" tip for that kind of stuff.

Next, you can try a CPU chip with 100 pins spaced 0.5mm apart. Those are great fun. :)

Back