Megx Computer connections

Hi all,

I have just got the MegX. Clearly a must have. I am trying to program it and just want to ask a couple of questions:
- can the unit still be programmed via midi? If I connect it to a computer via midi interface will the Megx editor see it?
- can you share some sync and charge cables that are known to work? For example, would this cable here work? https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/produ...arge-cable-2m?referrer=https://www.google.ro/
- assuming cable is fine but the unit does not show up in the editor, what do I do? Is there an edit or programming mode in which the unit has to be in, like with the Mastermind?

Thanks,
JO

Thanks for the purchase!

The MEGX to editor connection works over USB only. I'm fairly certain that the cable you linked to won't work (it seems to be a charge only cable). Something like this would work:

It's hard to tell on Amazon especially, because most USB C cables only mention charging in the title, but if you read the description, it mentions syncing. A "slow" cable (480MB/sec) like the above one is fine for the MEGX, it doesn't use the super high speed features of USB C.

There's no special editor mode in the MEGX. The only setup mode in the MEGX (accessed by holding a button at startup) will prevent the editor from connecting until you exit setup. If you can't get it to communicate with the editor, something is wrong.

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the clarifications. Very helpful. I found a cheap Hama charge / data cable USB A - USB C (ver 3.2 gen 1, max 5Gbps) which works just fine. Very nice not needing to power the unit for programming! All in all, everything is perfect. Bravo for such an impeccable yet simple device.

On another topic. How does the unit handle line levels? I will test it with some rack studio gear (TC2290, TC1210) at +4dbu and was wondering if there are any limitations I should be aware of specwise?

Best,
JO

I purchased the administrator suggested cable above and neither my computer (MacOS) nor my iPad Pro with a USB-C connector see the Meg-X when connected to it. I have tried connecting power to the Meg-X and without power connected. I just received my MEG-X last week, so it should have the newest firmware.

Please advise. Thanks!

When using with those devices, make sure that the MEGX isn't powered up with its AC adapter and let it be powered by USB. There's some issue with Apple devices that makes it more picky about devices that can be powered by USB.

I have the AC power adapter unplugged from the Meg-X. When I plug it into the iPad I do not see any lights power on the unit. Additionally, when I scan for devices none is enumerated in the drop down.

Do you have another cable you could try? You'd be surprised how many problems we've traced to cables that were bad right out of the package.

Back