MEGX with a few closed loops and sends for the rest of the loops

Brian

I want to use a couple loops for pedals, send to the amp on loop 3 and connect amp effects loop to return of 3, then split the rest of the outputs to rack effects that will output to a mixer which outputs back to effects return. So far this is not working. Does the MEGX allow a combination of closed loops and open loops?

Specific setup:
Loop one split mono: 1 and 7, both pedals
Loop 2 send to rack unit and return from rack unit
Loop 3 send to amp input and return from amp effects send
Loop 4 split mono: 4 send to mixer, 10 send to rack effect input (which outputs to mixer)
Loop 5 split mono: 5 and 11 send to rack effect inputs (which output to mixer)
Loop 6: send to rack effect input (which outputs to mixer)

Loop order: 1 7 2 3 4* 10* 5* 11* 6*

*loops 4 and onward use send only, return disconnected

Last edited:
It should work. Did you remember to keep loop 3 turned on at all times? And when you say "not working", what are the symptoms?

Thanks for getting back to me. What I seem to be observing with the first setup above is low levels and noise when implementing the mixer. It is a Rane Sm26b and I’m starting to wonder if it is the device not working or not set up correctly. I’m going to open it up and look at the dip switches and will report back on Tuesday.

I set it up a little differently today to ensure the levels in the racks were as expected by connecting them directly in the loops without the mixer. Seemed fine. I was looking at the Rane manual and noticed a configuration where an input can be split to three channels (which are panned left) sent to effects and then routed back in to channels 4, 5, and 6 (panned right) to mix to the R output. So I put the Rane mixer in loop 6 of the MEGX.

No split mono channels in this setup:
Loop 1 sunface
Loop 2 beano
Loop 3 GP-8 rack
Loop 4 send to amp input and back from effects loop send
Loop 5 SDE-1000 rack
Loop 6 send to Rane sm26b left input and return from right output (Rane 123 go to three racks which come back in to 456 and mix to right output, supposedly)
Megx out to amp fx return.

All sounds nice and strong except when I engage loop 6 - no sound at all. Seems to be something going on with the mixer or cables involved.

Got further with this setup but still not liking how the Rane mixer works with the megx. Absolutely could be operator error. The “no sound” issue above was a simple bad cable connection at the mixer output. However, I notice a lot of noise from the mixer in general.

Aside from the mixer challenges, a question more for the RJM team:
One thing I just tried is sending the Rane output to a second amp, and therefore pulling loop 6 out of the serial chain to the first amp.
I observe a volume and tone suck on the dry amp when I engage loop 6, even though nothing should be changing if I understand correctly. I’m other words, nothing coming back in to loop 6 return. Is it normal for the tone and volume to be affected when using a loop as a split point?

Got further with this setup but still not liking how the Rane mixer works with the megx. Absolutely could be operator error. The “no sound” issue above was a simple bad cable connection at the mixer output. However, I notice a lot of noise from the mixer in general.

Aside from the mixer challenges, a question more for the RJM team:
One thing I just tried is sending the Rane output to a second amp, and therefore pulling loop 6 out of the serial chain to the first amp.
I observe a volume and tone suck on the dry amp when I engage loop 6, even though nothing should be changing if I understand correctly. I’m other words, nothing coming back in to loop 6 return. Is it normal for the tone and volume to be affected when using a loop as a split point?
If the signal before the split is not well buffered, and if the inputs the split signal is going to load the signal too much, then the split itself can definitely cause lost level and tone.

Interesting. All of these aspects are rather new to me - or at least I haven’t had to deal with them before in the pedal world. I’ll experiment more. Would you suggest I work with megx buffer on and one rack at a time to see which one is affecting tone?

According to old manuals, the input impedances are as follows:
Intellifex - 470 kOhm
DEP-5 - 56 kOhm (set for +4dB) / >100 kOhm (set for -20dB)
Quadraverb GT - ?? kOhm

Last edited:
I thought you said loop 6 was going into an amp's input, not an effect unit? If that's the case, it's the amp that's the issue, not the effects. You're almost certainly going to need to add a buffer.

In the setup described, Loop 6 send goes to the mixer, which splits to a few effects, blends them and sends the result to the return of a second amp. The output of the megx goes to the first amp.

Ah, I see. Definitely, a 56k or 100k impedance is way too low for guitar gear, especially in parallel with other things, which makes the situation worse. Adding a buffer should fix it, though.

Ah, I see. Definitely, a 56k or 100k impedance is way too low for guitar gear, especially in parallel with other things, which makes the situation worse. Adding a buffer should fix it, though.
Thanks again. When you say add a buffer, do you mean engage the buffer on the MeGX, or is something more specifically connected to the front end of the effect in question needed?

The MEGX buffer would be enough if the split happened right after the buffer, with no effects in between. But as soon as you turn on one effect in you're system, the buffer no longer helps, only the strength (output impedance) of the last active effect's output before send 6 matters in that case. You'll need an additional buffer connected between Send 6 and the splitter that goes to the input of the the three effects.

Back