Midi cable query

John Sheehan

I have a RJM phantom power box that I am using without a power supply. It connects to my rack Kemper off stage. If I were to make my own locking Nuetrik connector cable for the connection from my RJM phantom power splitter to my GT16, with the intention to use the system tuner function, do I need it to be 5 pin or will a three pin configuration work? Hope that makes sense.

The reason for wanting to use the Neutrik connectors is that they are a little more robust with respect to the general rigours of the road.

You'll need at least six pins, I'm sorry to say. Two for communication from GT to Kemper, two for communication from Kemper to GT and two for phantom power. Then you'll want to connect the connector shell to the bare wire in the cable for shielding.

Thanks, I do apologise for not clarifying my setup in more depth.

I don't require the 7 pin phantom power option, just the in/out of the phantom power box. I do have to provide additional power requirements to other devices at the pedalboard as well an additional MIDI out, so I have a Cioks DC7 power supply at the GT16 (it provides USB power for my Tablet, 1.5A 12V for my TC Voicelive and 24V which I step down to 12V for GT16. Prior to this, I was hoping to utilize the Pin 6&7 12V phantom power capability, So I made up a Neutrik 7 Pin connector cable and then tried a Microdesignum 7 Pin Midi Presto Splitter 1:4 (1 in, 4 out). This is the only 7 pin MIDI Splitter I could find, however the System/Kemper Tuner didn't like that (dreaded question mark at the GT16 display). I did note there was a requirement to connect the GT16 direct for the system tuner to function correctly - No MIDI thru's etc..

Quote: [Two for communication from GT to Kemper, two for communication from Kemper to GT] Thank you, thats what I was looking for!

I am having a lot of luck 5 pin wise now using a MIDI Solutions MIDI Merge (2 in, 2 out). I can get the tuner working correctly at the Kemper and the GT16, and I have that additional MIDI out at the pedalboard. So I'm taking your advice on board and have determined for my purposes I definitely need a 5 pin connector cable. It's just that I'm just a little wary of the durability of constantly connecting and disconnecting standard MIDI connectors particularly in a live touring environment.

Just another quick question: Can the RJM Phantom Power device handle greater current if I wished to tap into additional amps at the GT16?

Thanks for your help, and If I'm misinterpreting any of your info, please let me know.

Just another quick question: Can the RJM Phantom Power device handle greater current if I wished to tap into additional amps at the GT16?

Thanks for your help, and If I'm misinterpreting any of your info, please let me know.

I've never checked for the upper limit the phantom power box can handle. It should be able to handle at least 2 or 3 amps, maybe more. The length and quality of your cable will have more impact on your phantom power plans. The more current you draw through the cable, the more voltage drop you'll experience across the cable.

Some bands have taken to using two standard XLRs in parallel to connect their phantom power and bidirectional MIDI. They wanted to stick with the readily available XLR cables, so they made boxes that had a MIDI connection in, and two XLRs out. One box at the rack, one at the pedalboard. In addition to the cables being much easier to find, you can also use larger diameter wire, which helps deliver phantom power more efficiently.

Back