Midi clock questions involving external midi clock controller

billyofcourse

I recently picked up a Disaster area Smartclock to use with my mastermind to be able to have easier access to setting bpm on the fly when not in front of the editor or using predefined presets and using it as a traditional style pedalboard while jamming or writing.

When using midi with the smartclock I can set the mastermind to master and it won't accept any input from the smartclock via midi, but when I set it to slave it will accept midi clock from the smart clock but it also will no longer adjust tempos via midi clock with presets.

Yes, I can wire up the smartclock to attach to the mastermind through one of the 1/4 jacks for a footswitch and have it send in tap tempo, but I find the midi clock option to be quicker and more precise overall.

Is there any way for me to use the smartclock as a functional tap tempo or bpm setting machine via midi clock, and still have the mastermind adjust tempos when using presets?

Currently, you can't do that, it's either a master or slave, but not both. I'm working on MIDI clock changes for the 4.0 firmware and will see if I can do something to help.

I did notice that the Smart Clock has a MIDI input on it. I've never used it, so I don't know how it works, but it might be possible to set it up to forward a clock from the input to the output, and generate its own clock when no clock is coming in the input. If it can do this, then connect the PBC to the Smart Clock input and the Smart Clock output to the rest of your rig.

Back