Midi Out of RG only sending PC on channel 1

ARMANDO DIAZ

Hello! I’m trying to send a PC to a midi device connected to the Midi Out port of my RG. I’m using a new LT Midi Controller which is connected to the front of the RG.

I have the Rack Gizmo’s midi channel set to “1” and believe the LT is also set to “1”. I did this setup from the Mastermind Editor 4.5 on my Mac. The midi device I’m trying to send a PC message to is set to midi channel 2. When I push a button on the LT I get no PC message on the display of midi device(set up as Generic in Editor). I tried setting the device to midi channel 1 and was able to see corresponding numbers as I pushed each individual button on the LT(LT-1 Midi Device-1, LT-2 Midi Device-2 and so on). Unfortunately I’m unable to save any changes on the midi device this way. As soon as I select another button the device doesn’t retain any changes made.

Anyone know why this is happening and a possible fix? Thanks!!

It sounds like the device isn't set up correctly in the LT's Devices tab. Make sure that you have it set to channel 2, click Set Preset PCs to Sequential to make sure that the presets are all initialized properly and turn on Send PCs and Send Redundant PCs.

It sounds like the device isn't set up correctly in the LT's Devices tab. Make sure that you have it set to channel 2, click Set Preset PCs to Sequential to make sure that the presets are all initialized properly and turn on Send PCs and Send Redundant PCs.

Thanks! I did all this but nothing. Today I tried setting the device back to Midi channel one and I was able to save Presets to it although sometimes they worked and sometimes only partially. Kind of buggy.

I’m still wondering if maybe either the LT or Rack Gizmo isn’t sending out PC messages on anything but Ch 1?? Is there a way to test this with both units so I can rule this out? I’ve done factory resets on both units. Thanks in advance!

It's extremely unlikely to be the Rack Gizmo, because its MIDI out is a MIDI Thru except when transferring settings or updating firmware. It only passes MIDI data through.

But, it would still be worth testing without the Rack Gizmo - connect the LT directly to your other device and see if that changes anything.

And, what is the device you're trying to control?

The best way to test the LT is to use a computer with a MIDI interface and MIDI monitor software to see exactly what MIDI messages are being sent.

It's extremely unlikely to be the Rack Gizmo, because its MIDI out is a MIDI Thru except when transferring settings or updating firmware. It only passes MIDI data through.

But, it would still be worth testing without the Rack Gizmo - connect the LT directly to your other device and see if that changes anything.

And, what is the device you're trying to control?

The best way to test the LT is to use a computer with a MIDI interface and MIDI monitor software to see exactly what MIDI messages are being sent.

All right! Thank you so much! I went ahead and connected the LT directly to the midi device and all’s working great! I went ahead and put the LT into setup mode and created the “generic” midi device and set it’s midi number.

My only question now is why wasn’t I able to accomplish this in the Mastermind Editor app? For whatever reason it either didn’t save or write to the LT. I hope you can tell me how to get this saved as a file in the Editor because there’s no way I’m plugging it back into my Mac until I know this won’t get corrupt.

Thanks again for all the assistance!

Does it work when you put the Rack Gizmo back into the picture? It sounds like you changed two things - removed the Rack Gizmo and also edited on the LT itself. We don't know which one fixed the problem.

If you still have your old settings, you can send them to me and I can figure out what happened.

When using the editor, did you use the Transfer / Write Settings to Device menu option after editing? Settings are not transferred until you do that.

If you'd like to back up straight from the LT, get a USB flash drive, Hold 1 and 3 to enter setup. Select System Functions, then Save Settings. You can then plug in a flash drive and save to it.

Does it work when you put the Rack Gizmo back into the picture? It sounds like you changed two things - removed the Rack Gizmo and also edited on the LT itself. We don't know which one fixed the problem.

If you still have your old settings, you can send them to me and I can figure out what happened.

When using the editor, did you use the Transfer / Write Settings to Device menu option after editing? Settings are not transferred until you do that.

If you'd like to back up straight from the LT, get a USB flash drive, Hold 1 and 3 to enter setup. Select System Functions, then Save Settings. You can then plug in a flash drive and save to it.

Thanks! First thing I did was remove the RG from the setup and hooked up the LT to the midi device(MTR). Once doing the editing in Set Up mode was done I connected everything back to the RG, LT->RG->MTR. Everything is now working as expected.

I still haven’t connected this setup back to the editor so I should be able to upload the settings file later today. I’ll also be saving the LT’s settings to a flash drive later today.

I believe I got the “Read” and “Write” procedures correct in the Editor but in trying to get this setup working over the last few days I did do multiple factory resets on both LT and RG and also went into Preferences folder and trashed the two RG preferences which store all the previously named/saved settings in the Editor so the Settings file I upload would be the last available. Thanks again!

Is this the working version or the non working version? It seems correctly set up for sending on channels 1 and 2.

Is this the working version or the non working version? It seems correctly set up for sending on channels 1 and 2.

I don’t think any of those channels were working and the midi device(MTR) was not receiving the PC messages. I have saved my settings via the LT today so I’ll try reading from device and see if it’s working or not. Thanks!

Back