MIDI Pedals Not in Loops

George

I was watching a Youtube video recently (probably the source of most of my "problems"), and reference was made to the 6X not having enough loops to handle the pedal population. However, the author went on to say, since the H9's (and a couple of other MIDI pedals) were not in the loops that wasn't an issue there would be plenty of loops available for the pedals. Initially I was thinking "Ok great MIDI not an issue..." and then I started thinking..."Wait...how are the MIDI pedals receiving their signal and where/how is the processed signal of my (mostly) MIDI controlled wet effects supposed to get back into the signal for output to the amp?"

It would seem to me that I either have to use a loop for send and return, or I use the Insert connections on either my 6X or 10 to accomplish it. A basic question I'm sure. (I'll be glad when I can stop asking basic questions).

I think a lot of people use the PBC6x as a part of their signal chain, not like how the PBC 10 is often used to wrap all of the signal chain. With either, if you’ve got more pedals than loops, then you have the option to either put multiple pedals into a single loop or run some outside the loop and control their on/off state via midi. If not using a loop at all, I think you would go out of the main output(s) on the PBC to your first midi pedal, then just daisy chain your midi pedals until you go out of your last pedal and into your amp (or whatever is next in your signal chain after the pedalboard).

I haven’t done this but I’ve talked to lots of people who have. It’s slightly more complex to manage on/off via midi than with loops in the editor but manageable if you spend the time to program it right.

Back