MIDI Wiring Scheme Possible? POG2 Nixie External Control

Will all my wildest pedalboard wiring dreams come true?

• Keep dreamin'

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Devan Bumstead

RJM Community,

I'm new here and just ordered my first RJM product! I've got a PBC/6X coming soon. I've been using an OC-10 for many years and I've loved it but wanted a bit more out of the MIDI side of things. Enter PBC.

But can you possibly "check my work"? I've attached a proposed wiring schematic for my MIDI. My plan is to wire up MIDI IN and OUT jacks on the side of my board and I hope to accomplish the following:
  1. Be able to access Nixie to manage my Stryfecta from the side-mounted external jacks.
  2. Be able to send MIDI messages TO the PBC from an external source to control patch changes.
  3. If possible, be able to send MIDI messages OUT from the PBC to other external gear through the external jack.
The variables I'm dealing with are:
  1. Needing to make a MIDI Y cable for the PBC (easy enough)
  2. Confirming that the MIDI Mod by Microdesignum for the POG2 will indeed properly receive and pass through MIDI messages from the PBC.
  3. Possibly wanting to be able to control the Iridium with the PBC as well. I'm just looking into this. If I get a Midibox2, it should be pretty straight forward yeah? Just put it in the MIDI chain and use one of the TRS outs to connect to the Iridium?
Thanks for your help!

Update: my photo won't upload for some reason so here's a link:
http://www.devanbumstead.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Pedalboard-Layout-3.1.pdf

Last edited:
Congrats on the purchase! I know I'm biased, but I think the PBC is one of the best pieces of gear out there for guitarists right now, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have these last few years!

I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work, though you'll have to make sure and get all the settings on all pedals (PBC included) just right for it to work, as Nixie is notoriously picky. Make sure that when you're testing it, you don't have any PC programs open that also send/receive MIDI signals.

For what it's worth, I did the MIDI mod on my POG2 and have never had any issues using Strymon Nixie with it in the MIDI signal chain.

Congrats on the purchase! I know I'm biased, but I think the PBC is one of the best pieces of gear out there for guitarists right now, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have these last few years!

I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work, though you'll have to make sure and get all the settings on all pedals (PBC included) just right for it to work, as Nixie is notoriously picky. Make sure that when you're testing it, you don't have any PC programs open that also send/receive MIDI signals.

For what it's worth, I did the MIDI mod on my POG2 and have never had any issues using Strymon Nixie with it in the MIDI signal chain.

Thanks a ton! This is very helpful. I'll make sure I'm careful. I've used Nixie in a complex setup before with my OC-10 and it worked but being unfamiliar with the PBC I wanted to make sure it could be done.

And funny side note, I had a tiny business selling pedalboards back in my college days and called it...DB Pedalboards! Small world :)

Small world indeed! It's such an easy name to go for when your initials are DB though! :)

BTW, just so you know it's a possibility, the PBC can actually be used as a MIDI interface for Nixie, allowing you to use it with the same USB cable used to connect the PBC to the editor (though you can only run one of the two programs at a time). The one issue in your case is that you would need to pick up something like this to merge any MIDI signals going to the PBC MIDI In from both your PC and the last Strymon pedal in the chain.

Good to know! Thanks again!

Now the more I’ve been letting this new build simmer, the more I’ve been wanting to be able to change the order of the Iridium on the fly. Is there a device that will let me either have the Iridium before or after the Timeline/BigSky?

I know if I used the stereo loops in the PBC I could do it easily, but I won’t be putting those pedals into the PBC’s loops at all, they will all come after it. So any other hardware options for quick order reversal? It would need to be stereo.

That's a tricky one. I did a quick search, and it looks like Goodwood has made custom stereo order switchers before. That's probably the simplest way to do what you want. Still would be a bit expensive though. If you go that way, make sure you have it made with stereo inputs and outputs.

Back