MMGT / AxeFX Chatter from the Fractal Forum

Sleestak

Although this is a cross-forum post, I wanted to share some a comment I posted over on the Fractal group.

I've been using an MMGT10 as my controller for both the AxeFX II and AxeFX III. It is, without question, the best MIDI controller I have ever used - and I've been using various MIDI controllers for decades. The MasterMind GT series are very easy to program for the AxeFX, and the cc's are already mapped for you in the editor. Mine connects to the AxeFX III with a single 7-pin MIDI cable, which is bidirectional and also provides power.
Also, I've gotten good at offline editing, using just the pedal to set up new patches and set lists. The GUI makes it easier, but you can do all of that from the unit itself.
I have two expression pedals connected to my MMGT10, and I have also used external control switches. Although you should read the manual for the MasterMind pedals (so you understand its immense capabilities), the editor makes it pretty easy to get things set up.There is a learning curve, mostly because you will come to realize there are some powerful ways to simplify and customize the layout. It's worth it.
One more thing; yes, the big board (MMGT22) is awesome. My MMGT10 handles everything I need, and my shows are pretty complex; most of my patches have 5+ scenes, and I have unique patches for every song in the set list. The page functions, and multi-press functions, give you a big range of control with a small board. Honestly, I wouldn't trade mine for a bigger one.

Nope, I don't work for RJM. And I paid full price for my board like anybody. I just happen to dig their products and awesome customer support.

Link: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/shout-out-to-rjm.167700/post-2015652

Thanks very much for the great review!
Ron, I'm a big proponent of well-designed and well-supported technology. The MMGT is nearly perfect* as a MIDI controller, and I love the depth of functionality. I've helped a few local friends with demo sessions of my board, and they've purchased their own controllers, which I helped them set up. They took my implementation as a starting point, and within a week, had created their own sysex with some incredibly inventive customization for their own purposes. That is what makes the MMGT such a great device: it frees the user from a 1:1 forced integration ecosystem, and let us design the setup based on our needs. It takes a little thinking and learning at the outset, but it's so worth it.

* WIsh list item: Would it be possible to add a clock? I have a little digital clock on my pedalboard. It has functions for timer countdown / countup / clock. It's super valuable for my live shows, as we sometimes adjust the set list based on the time.

Ron, I'm a big proponent of well-designed and well-supported technology. The MMGT is nearly perfect* as a MIDI controller, and I love the depth of functionality. I've helped a few local friends with demo sessions of my board, and they've purchased their own controllers, which I helped them set up. They took my implementation as a starting point, and within a week, had created their own sysex with some incredibly inventive customization for their own purposes. That is what makes the MMGT such a great device: it frees the user from a 1:1 forced integration ecosystem, and let us design the setup based on our needs. It takes a little thinking and learning at the outset, but it's so worth it.

* WIsh list item: Would it be possible to add a clock? I have a little digital clock on my pedalboard. It has functions for timer countdown / countup / clock. It's super valuable for my live shows, as we sometimes adjust the set list based on the time.
There's no battery backup, so it couldn't keep track of actual time when it's unplugged, but as a timer, that's possible. Seems like that would be best implemented as a button type? That way it doesn't take up real estate on te main screen.

Reactions: Jop
I wonder if it could be implemented on the AxeFX III itself, and then displayed via MIDI. I'll see what the FractalNerds think.

There's no battery backup, so it couldn't keep track of actual time when it's unplugged, but as a timer, that's possible. Seems like that would be best implemented as a button type? That way it doesn't take up real estate on te main screen.
Honestly a clock/timer would be awesome. On a button even cool. I keep a clock on stage and have to reset it every show anyway.

Back