My GT/22 Setup for the Axe-Fx III

Too simple to post: it just recalls PRESET384, which is the first preset of the amazing ones stored in my AFX3 that Yek shared on the Fractal forum!

Too simple to post: it just recalls PRESET384, which is the first preset of the amazing ones stored in my AFX3 that Yek shared on the Fractal forum!
That makes sense. I still don't understand why IAreSee's layout triggered the downward bank switching behavior. Why would a preset button on page 5 cause ANY preset above 127 to switch down into the 0-127 range.

Update time!

Things haven't changed that much. But as I've played with this setup, live, I've refined it so it works better for me during performances for the main pages. And then I've got a new page that's mainly for home use and you'll see why.

Page 1: Main

The major changes from the v1 release are along the top row and the bottom. On the top I've double-stacked some things. The Tempo >> Tuner button does tap tempo and hold-to-tune now. That freed up the upper left hand corner button. It's now used to get me to the looper page with one tap. I'm using the looper more and more with my band so this was handy. And hold for "Safe" gets me back to my main preset if I wander too far from home.

Along the bottom row, every scene button is now hold-to-bring-up-scene-selection. Any of them. Hold it down and you'll get the scene selection screen which is easier than reaching up to the top row. It's so much easier to hit literally any of those bottom row switches and hold it down to get to scenes 7 and 8 when I'm playing live.

View attachment 1418

Page 2: Special

Just some rearrangement and effect swaps on this page. Amp EQ toggles CC#15 on/off. I just always use that CC# for AMP EQ and it makes sense. Volume Pedal is a neat switch. Hold mode brings up channel selection for the VOL1 block and it names channel 1 "Pedal" (because it expects that channel to be tied to an expression pedal) and channel 2 is "Swell" (because it expects that channel to be set up in autoswell mode). That's pretty neat.

View attachment 1419

Page 3: Looper

Looper controls along the bottom should be self-explanatory. The row above the looper controls is setup for performance. Those are common blocks I like to toggle on/off when I'm looping with the band. And then the row above that one is setup for auditioning amp and cab settings. I can quickly turn amp blocks off/on and switch the cab block channels to try out different sounds while a loop block setup in front of all of them loops a lick. Upper left hand corner switch on this page gets me to the Main page.

View attachment 1420

Page 4: Buddy

This page is optimized for working with Buddy Gill's preset pack. I love that pack. It follows his recommendations for how to configure an FC-12 for use with his pack. The switches are named to follow the function of the block as Buddy intended it to function in his presets. For example, SC Boost engages a boost Buddy intended people with single coil guitars to use on presets that were dialed in with his humbucker-equipped SG.

View attachment 1421

Page 5: Utilities

All the stuff I need to maintain the GT-22 when I'm away from the editor. The Out + and Out - buttons increment/decrement OUT1's output level and save the changes. Careful using them. If you've tweaked the preset and use one of those switches you'll commit the changes along with the volume change. While I'm here I'll reiterate my request to @rjmmusic for a "get preset names and scenes from current preset" function I can assign to a switch that just updates the current preset in the GT-22 from the current preset in the Axe-Fx III. :)

View attachment 1422
You can grab the updated rjs file here: http://j.mp/2FlXcs3

That's it for now. Hope everyone is having a good summer making music!
Hi The volume +/- and save is it still only the scene level, have anyone managed to get it to be the actual out blok
Cheers

That makes sense. I still don't understand why IAreSee's layout triggered the downward bank switching behavior. Why would a preset button on page 5 cause ANY preset above 127 to switch down into the 0-127 range.
I don't either.

@Alexander can you give some details?

For me, I'm finding the bank up/down buttons in Preset view to be -- touchy -- to say the least. Pressing one will often land me 2 or 3 banks away from the next bank where I intended to go. I don't know if this is a firmware issue or a hardware issue on my GT/22.

I don't either.

@Alexander can you give some details?

For me, I'm finding the bank up/down buttons in Preset view to be -- touchy -- to say the least. Pressing one will often land me 2 or 3 banks away from the next bank where I intended to go. I don't know if this is a firmware issue or a hardware issue on my GT/22.

AFAIK, the exact cause of the bank issue has yet to be found.

AFAIK, the exact cause of the bank issue has yet to be found.
@iaresee 's issue sounds different... Can I get more details on this? Are your bank buttons on external switches or internal? How old is your GT? If it ends up several banks away, does it "walk" up the banks, or does it jump from one bank to another, skipping the intervening banks?

The specific thing about David Barrow's layout was that it had two buttons with System : Preset commands, that both had Send On Preset Change enabled. This messed up every preset change.

Last edited:
The specific thing about David Barrow's layout was that it had two buttons with System:preset commands, that both had Send On Preset Change enabled. This messed up every preset change.
Ah, yes, that would definitely cause a problem.

@iaresee 's issue sounds different... Can I get more details on this? Are your bank buttons on external switches or internal? How old is your GT? If it ends up several banks away, does it "walk" up the banks, or does it jump from one bank to another, skipping the intervening banks?
Internal switches and my GT/22 is fairly old now -- maybe 8 years? It moves through banks so fast when it does the skip I would't call it "walking". I can film some video later tonight and post my latest config dump. I'lll open a new thread!

Internal switches and my GT/22 is fairly old now -- maybe 8 years? It moves through banks so fast when it does the skip I would't call it "walking". I can film some video later tonight and post my latest config dump. I'lll open a new thread!
Go into setup, then select System Functions and System Info. Please let me know what it says next to Switches. That'll tell me whether they're the older switches that have a tendency to stick.

Go into setup, then select System Functions and System Info. Please let me know what it says next to Switches. That'll tell me whether they're the older switches that have a tendency to stick.
3fffff

Button boards are all 1.05

I'm running 4.9.1

The specific thing about David Barrow's layout was that it had two buttons with System : Preset commands, that both had Send On Preset Change enabled. This messed up every preset change.
I just checked and I had these with "Send on Preset Change" as well (along with 8 switches on a higher page setup this way). An oversight, and corrected now. I've updated my original post. Thanks!

I just checked and I had these with "Send on Preset Change" as well (along with 8 switches on a higher page setup this way). An oversight, and corrected now. I've updated my original post. Thanks!
How was that affecting other presets that had nothing to do with those buttons? I was selecting presets in the 400's and/or anythin above 127 and it would "downshift" to the 0-127 range. I am just curious as to how that would work.

How was that affecting other presets that had nothing to do with those buttons? I was selecting presets in the 400's and/or anythin above 127 and it would "downshift" to the 0-127 range. I am just curious as to how that would work.
The GT/22 will send the messages along on preset change for those switches. I didn't find this was impacting me, but can't hurt to have them defined correctly.

Back