My GT/22 Setup for the Axe-Fx III

Update time!

Things haven't changed that much. But as I've played with this setup, live, I've refined it so it works better for me during performances for the main pages. And then I've got a new page that's mainly for home use and you'll see why.

Page 1: Main

The major changes from the v1 release are along the top row and the bottom. On the top I've double-stacked some things. The Tempo >> Tuner button does tap tempo and hold-to-tune now. That freed up the upper left hand corner button. It's now used to get me to the looper page with one tap. I'm using the looper more and more with my band so this was handy. And hold for "Safe" gets me back to my main preset if I wander too far from home.

Along the bottom row, every scene button is now hold-to-bring-up-scene-selection. Any of them. Hold it down and you'll get the scene selection screen which is easier than reaching up to the top row. It's so much easier to hit literally any of those bottom row switches and hold it down to get to scenes 7 and 8 when I'm playing live.

View attachment 1418

Page 2: Special

Just some rearrangement and effect swaps on this page. Amp EQ toggles CC#15 on/off. I just always use that CC# for AMP EQ and it makes sense. Volume Pedal is a neat switch. Hold mode brings up channel selection for the VOL1 block and it names channel 1 "Pedal" (because it expects that channel to be tied to an expression pedal) and channel 2 is "Swell" (because it expects that channel to be set up in autoswell mode). That's pretty neat.

View attachment 1419

Page 3: Looper

Looper controls along the bottom should be self-explanatory. The row above the looper controls is setup for performance. Those are common blocks I like to toggle on/off when I'm looping with the band. And then the row above that one is setup for auditioning amp and cab settings. I can quickly turn amp blocks off/on and switch the cab block channels to try out different sounds while a loop block setup in front of all of them loops a lick. Upper left hand corner switch on this page gets me to the Main page.

View attachment 1420

Page 4: Buddy

This page is optimized for working with Buddy Gill's preset pack. I love that pack. It follows his recommendations for how to configure an FC-12 for use with his pack. The switches are named to follow the function of the block as Buddy intended it to function in his presets. For example, SC Boost engages a boost Buddy intended people with single coil guitars to use on presets that were dialed in with his humbucker-equipped SG.

View attachment 1421

Page 5: Utilities

All the stuff I need to maintain the GT-22 when I'm away from the editor. The Out + and Out - buttons increment/decrement OUT1's output level and save the changes. Careful using them. If you've tweaked the preset and use one of those switches you'll commit the changes along with the volume change. While I'm here I'll reiterate my request to @rjmmusic for a "get preset names and scenes from current preset" function I can assign to a switch that just updates the current preset in the GT-22 from the current preset in the Axe-Fx III. :)

View attachment 1422
You can grab the updated rjs file here: http://j.mp/2TEOTOg

That's it for now. Hope everyone is having a good summer making music!

Thank you for sharing, this is very helpful.
Keep up de great work

Another update? Sure!

I've started using global blocks in my Axe-Fx III pretty heavily. I run a "kitchen sink" effects setup around different AMP/CAB combinations. This has been helpful for trying out different AMP/CAB pairs from Austin Buddy's naked amps pack in live situations. I get the new AMP/CAB sounds, but all my effects are the same so I'm not totally lost, live.

My kitchen sink setup with globals looks like this:

Screen Shot 2019-09-14 at 8.34.41 PM.png

All those blocks with aquablue dots on them are global blocks -- if I change that block in this preset, the changes are reflected across every preset that also uses this global block in it.

The cool thing about having this ultra-consistent layout in use on my gigging presets is I can (finally!) name the channels on my various effects blocks as they're always the same settings from preset to preset! Fantastic, right?

Here's what my GT/22 setup looks like now:

Screen Shot 2019-09-14 at 8.38.04 PM.png

The really big difference is that my channels are NAMED! Hooray! When I hold down on an effects IA to change the channel this is what I see:

Screen Shot 2019-09-14 at 8.38.11 PM.png
Each channel gets friendly name like "Klon" or "Kot" or "TS Light" which makes selecting what I want so much easier. I don't have to remember what Channel 1 was setup to be -- I named it! Now I know!

For my non-kitchen sink presets, I'll probably put togehter some generic pages that don't have the channels named. Basically, duplicate my first two pages but without the names, just because I can and I have all that page space in the GT/22. Why not, right?

This has been one of the biggest quality of life improvements in my gigging setup in a long time.

You can get my latest GT/22 setup here: http://j.mp/2FlXcs3 -- that's current as of Jan 2, 2020 and was made with firmware 4.4.1.

In addition to the named channels, you'll see a few other tweaks. There's a page specifically designed for working with Austin Buddy's Naked Amps pack -- it has switches on it that can be used to turn on/off settings on the AMP block as well as change the AMP and CAB block channels for both (AMP|CAB)[1,2] blocks. You'll need to map some midi on the III for this page to work 100%.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Thanks Ian! Weirdly your images are not showing up on my Mac (I haven't tried a PC with IE yet). I can see the images from your first post in this thread but not the latest post.

Thanks Ian! Weirdly your images are not showing up on my Mac (I haven't tried a PC with IE yet). I can see the images from your first post in this thread but not the latest post.
They were embedded using URLs from the Fractal forum -- I just replaced them with images uploaded to this forum software. Can you see them now?

A February 2020 update: the only changes are the addition of two pages. Page 6 and Page 7 are "generic" versions of Page 1 and Page 2 -- the IA layout is identical. The only difference is the IAs do not have named channels on them.

This is handy if you're working with factory presets or someone else's presets where the block channels would be different from preset to preset, so channel names wouldn't make any particular sense.

Otherwise it's the same as January. Rock solid and working really well for me.

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 8.05.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 8.05.27 PM.png

You can get the settings file here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6v92fhahww3m4re/iaresee-gt22-2023-02-06.rjs?dl=0

Last edited:
A February 2020 update: the only changes are the addition of two pages. Page 6 and Page 7 are "generic" versions of Page 1 and Page 2 -- the IA layout is identical. The only difference is the IAs do not have named channels on them.

This is handy if you're working with factory presets or someone else's presets where the block channels would be different from preset to preset, so channel names wouldn't make any particular sense.

Otherwise it's the same as January. Rock solid and working really well for me.

View attachment 1556

View attachment 1557

You can get the settings file here: http://j.mp/2V1L34K

Thanks for sharing this again, Ian. Your settings are so well thought out I can think of very little, if anything I could add to improve them. Quite a swiss army knife of features!

Thanks iaresee

i have managed to upload your settings to my Mastermind GT22 - via drop box and GT Edit

The axe FX unit is still in factory preset mode apart from basic set up - midi channel 1 etc freq .... - is there another upload for the axefx 3 to marry in your layout options or do you upload on to the GT22 with the axefx3 plugged in via midi

Still trying to get my head around the programing at the moment - will get there ....

but any help appreciated

Last edited:
is there another upload for the axefx 3 to marry in your layout options or do you upload on to the GT22 with the axefx3 plugged in via midi
Nothing for the Axe-Fx III -- though you'll want to transfer your presets from your III into the GT 22 _after_ you upload my setttings. My settings contain my presets, which are not your presets. So you'll need to refresh presets in the GT 22 so it has your presets.

Nothing for the Axe-Fx III -- though you'll want to transfer your presets from your III into the GT 22 _after_ you upload my setttings. My settings contain my presets, which are not your presets. So you'll need to refresh presets in the GT 22 so it has your presets.
Good Onya Will Do - Thanks Ian

That’s Awsome
Your Settings have brought the axe fx alive
my Favourite preset is the Friedman and with your presets I can now switch on and off reverb flanger phaser
and multi delay on the second page in addition to the chorus delay and drive that was accessible before
This for me was a great way to get started
I have a mission RJM pedal looking at adding another when I can program them
it seems the preset goes straight to wah on input 1 which is ok but
im a big fan of a volume pedal in the loop or at the end of the signal path
I looked at global settings for volume but no success yet
I would like the volume pedal to govern the axefx volume no matter which patch I use
is there an easy way ?

I would like the volume pedal to govern the axefx volume no matter which patch I use
is there an easy way ?
You can map the pedal to the global volume control. Understand though that the gobal volume is at the end of the signal chain. So it won't change drive saturation or anything like that. If you want to do this, first set expression pedal 1 in the GT22 an external controller other than 1. In the MMGT Editor double click on the WHITE expression pedal in the list here (it's named WHITE because it maps to my white Mission pedal on my pedal board):

Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 9.39.02 AM.png

Once you're in the controller editor screen change the first CC Number to something like Ext Ctrl 2 or another higher value Ext Ctrl.\

Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 9.43.11 AM.png

Save and send the settings to your GT22.

(Note: I don't have my Axe-Fx III in front of me right now so I'm doing menus by memory, they might be slightly incorrect so expect to have to poke around a bit.)

Next, go into the I/O > MIDI settings in the Axe-Fx III and scroll over until you see the Global tab. Find the Global Volume control in that list, highlight it and set the value to whatever Ext Ctrl number you set the pedal to in the GT22.

Now that pedal will control the global volume level in any preset.

If you want to control the volume at the START of the preset, you need to add a volume block to every preset. No way around that, I'm afraid.

Ian - how did you insert the screen shots above?

On the Devices Tab, with SAxe-Fx III selected, I notice on mine there is a box unchecked toward bottom that says "Direct Send PCs/CCs - is that checked on yours???

Here is the Device tab, and my Ext. page now. I note if you look at the "Stored" settings for the Ext. controllers (not global), it apparently has CC#7 assigned (third attachment)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 12.09.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 12.09.54 PM.png
    51.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 12.14.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 12.14.08 PM.png
    87.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 12.15.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 12.15.04 PM.png
    80.6 KB · Views: 11
On the Devices Tab, with SAxe-Fx III selected, I notice on mine there is a box unchecked toward bottom that says "Direct Send PCs/CCs - is that checked on yours???
It is _not_ checked for me, you should not have it checked for the Axe-Fx III AFAIK.

Success
however I hooked it up to pedal 2 - I adjusted the ( was It taper values back to zero ) and works well enough - probably not as well as my volume pedal into an fx loop in my amp because it is processed but well enough for what I want it for
I’m sure I can fine tune later
i wanted to leave exp pedal 1 for wah etc which so may presets seem to already be on and I’ve ordered another mission pedal
I did however encounter a problem when I was pushing buttons on the axe fx3 - I went into fc controllers in the global settings and lost the patch or preset 23 which was my Friedman amps - gone
so now a crash course in fractal bot - firmware upgrades for axe and saving settings
I got them all back as they are all just presets at this time but this was before I got the volume pedal working haha
i think i then Managed to get volume working but when editing again I lost my Mesa patch gone blank
no worries I knew how to get it back and got it back
volume pedal on pedal 2 working well
when I swap it to wah it’s a little glitchy now maybe calibrate new pedal when it comes
that FC controller function doesn’t like RJM MMGt22 does it ?
do i need to give it a factory rest just to appease it or continue as i am
cheers for your help so far
I’ll offer something back one day
also the looper doesn’t work - do I need to set cc numbers asking for a friend :)
ThankYou
Reverend

Back