My GT/22 Setup for the Axe-Fx III

Ok - I’m well on my way now
I bought some presets from Austin Buddy to help the learning process and get more tones
i understand the loop block or any block for that matter must be in the Chain for it to work unless it’s global like my volume pedal
i can now assign any function to a button in my MMGT22
I can save upload and download from axe or GT
Thanks Ian again for sharing your template it’s really helped get my head around what’s going on here
CHEERS

A February 2020 update: the only changes are the addition of two pages. Page 6 and Page 7 are "generic" versions of Page 1 and Page 2 -- the IA layout is identical. The only difference is the IAs do not have named channels on them.

This is handy if you're working with factory presets or someone else's presets where the block channels would be different from preset to preset, so channel names wouldn't make any particular sense.

Otherwise it's the same as January. Rock solid and working really well for me.

View attachment 1556
pedal
View attachment 1557

You can get the settings file here: http://j.mp/2V1L34K
Your settings are so nice!! Thanks

AF3 MK2 FW17.01RC M1 MacMini

Hi Ian,

I just got my GT22 and I saw a vid where Brett mention utilizing your layout/setup (at least when he'd just received his GT22) about 2 years ago +/- , so I decided to do the same, as a learning/launching point. I read the manual and then loaded the most recent of your layout/setup files I found earlier in this thread. (First time loading was a bit scary, as I hoped I wouldn't completely bork my new toy, but that process was simple enough and actually made sense.)

Unfortunately, I'm having a bit of trouble getting all to work properly. I don't know if some / all of my issues might be due to the Release Candidate status firmware, or if it is mainly a newb making User Errors??

After I loaded your file, I took a look around to see how you had everything laid out, even prior to bringing my presets over to my GT22. It certainly makes sense. Next I brought over a smallish range of presets that I use the most, but when the process was complete, there were a few IAs on the GT22 IA switches that didn't match the contents actually in my presets. For instance, rather than having the title of each preset displayed in the 18 contiguous screens, when I clicked the "Presets" button, each of those 18 screens, instead displayed sequentially one each, of the Scenes from the Preset Range I brought over. An IA displayed a Reverb1 Spring, and the actual Reverb1 is a Studio type. One other example is Drive1 displaying Klon and was actually an T808 OD.

I know most complex devices take time to feel comfortable, and even more time to become functionally adept. I would certainly appreciate, and could certainly use some assistance to help this newb get through these growing pains.
Cheers,
Lee

An IA displayed a Reverb1 Spring, and the actual Reverb1 is a Studio type. One other example is Drive1 displaying Klon and was actually an T808 OD.
These friendly names are hard coded in my the GT/22 layout. They aren't dynamically set based on what's in the preset. I use "kitchen sink" presets for the most part and those are global blocks in my AFIII so they're always the same blocks and types, thus hard coding some names like this makes sense for me.

I describe it in this post here: https://www.rjmmusic.com/forum/inde...tup-for-the-axe-fx-iii.3738/page-2#post-20564

There are higher number pages that don't have friendly names for the channels that you can use with generic presets. It'll just say A, B, C and D instead of "Klon" or "TS9" on the channel select screens.

For instance, rather than having the title of each preset displayed in the 18 contiguous screens, when I clicked the "Presets" button, each of those 18 screens, instead displayed sequentially one each, of the Scenes from the Preset Range I brought over.
I can't quite wrap my head around this one though.

How did you import your presets into your GT/22? What options did you have on during the process?

Thank you Ian. I did actually happen to skim over the part about the hard-coded
"channel names", and read it after sending my message. Doh.

I've now also tried going to PAGE 6, then PAGE 7, and then PAGE 8, and I don't see Drive1 on any of them, even though I'm still on the same preset.

As for importing my presets, I chose Get Preset Names and had Get Scenes ON, Create Song ON, and Scenes/Song set to 8. I just ran went through this process one more time, and set Scenes/Song to 6, just in case that could for some reason play a part.

I attached a photo of the GT22 immediately after I clicked the "Presets" button. Look forward to any guidance you might provide. I appreciate you taking time to assist.

Cheers,
Lee

Attachments

• image0 (1).jpeg
    image0 (1).jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 16
I thought I'd also attach tonight's backup file (Ian's layout on my GT22 after I'd loaded my presets) along with a screen caps of the first three presets of the loaded presets from my AF3. Maybe this can help determine what is going on.

I also just noticed the date on the backup file (on my thumb drive) from my GT22 this evening, shows Dec 31, 1969 rather than today's date. Perhaps there is a little hiccup with the formatting on this thumb drive that has introduced into the GT22?? This may be completely off base, but when something pops up even slightly odd during troubleshooting, my first inclination is to fix what has caused the anomaly. I may just go ahead and format the thumb drive, restore my GT22 to factory defaults, and then try a fresh load of Ian's layout file tomorrow to see if the same behavior is present. I'll check the forum prior to moving forward in the morning, in case input/advice is provided.
Cheers,
Lee

Attachments

• mmgtIAN-gt22-2021-10-18.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • AF3 screenshot first preset in GT22.png
    AF3 screenshot first preset in GT22.png
    166.9 KB · Views: 6
  • AF3 screenshot second preset on GT22.png
    AF3 screenshot second preset on GT22.png
    181 KB · Views: 6
  • AF3 screenshot third preset on GT22.png
    AF3 screenshot third preset on GT22.png
    168.8 KB · Views: 6
I've now also tried going to PAGE 6, then PAGE 7, and then PAGE 8, and I don't see Drive1 on any of them, even though I'm still on the same preset.
It's right there on Page 6 for me:

Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 5.47.27 PM.png

I'm not sure what's up with your presets view though.

Let me update the firmware on my GT/22 and test it against my AFIII running 17.01 -- my GT/22 has mostly been in storage for the last year as I haven't been gigging and haven't had the floor space to dedicate to it in my office.

Thanks Ian. My GT22 arrived w 4.6.3 I believe I’ve also seen some other that we’re having “strange” issues with Scene info displaying oddly that may or may not have been related (or at while using). Sorry for the bother of getting your GT out. These last two years have been sucky for sure.

I forgot to include in my reply that I also located Drive1 on Page6 as well. I must have had some strong tunnel vision that first night. ‍

Cheers,
Lee

edit: (extraneous garbage)

Last edited:
@iaresee @rjmmusic
This evening I decided I'd try connecting my GT22 to my AF3 MK1 FW16.00, to see if any of this unexpected behavior is specific to the AF3 MK2 (17.01RC). Unfortunately, I had similar results to what I posted previously. I did, however, also notice a darkened screen where "Special Pages" is located on Ian's layout (Page 1), and it was not functional. I had seen this same issue on one of the previous connections with my MK2, but on it's most recent connection, that specific screen was lit and also functional.

As I'm using Ian's layout file, and he and others have used it without issue, I plan to purchase some better MIDI cables tomorrow. I believe I've had the current cables for well over 10 years, and I likely just ran over to a big box store, so I believe they are lower tier quality. Looking at my MIDI cables, I'm pretty sure they aren't shielded, and not being a MIDI expert, perhaps interference could cause this type of occurrence?? Either way, I'm going to buy some better MIDI cables, which I'm hoping will resolve the issues.
Cheers,
Lee

@iaresee @rjmmusic

GT/22 4.6.3 AF3 MK2 FW17.01RC

I bought some new MIDI cables yesterday and after installing, there was no change in behavior. Last night I changed my settings on my GT22, turning off Songs, and leaving Scenes turned on. This time my chosen presets came in without behaving as if each Scene was a Preset. I worked my way through the first five presets with no odd behavior, but when I hit the sixth preset, it showed the correct information for a brief moment, then the screen on my GT22 changed to showing I was on Preset 41. My AF3 MK2 continued to show that I was on the sixth preset. I again clicked the Presets button, and chose Preset 16, which showed on the main screen of my GT22 correctly for a moment, then it quickly changed to Preset 295, while showing Preset 36 on my AF3. While I was on Preset "295" (on the GT22), it displayed on Scene 8 of preset 36 on the AF3. For the first time, I tried changing scenes using my A knob on my AF3. When I changed to scene 7, my GT22 changed it's displayed info to reflect Preset 294. This continued for each manual scene change using the A knob on the front panel of my AF3.

This morning I was again looking through the MMGT Editor (4.6.1) to see if I could find something that might help. Well, I thought I did. I thought shutting off the bidirectional MIDI might help, and when I unchecked that box, there was a moment where it seemed to behave correctly. That must have been a pipe-dream. After Ron clarified the need for Bidirectional MIDI, I re-checked the box for Bidirectional MIDI and many of the issues I was experiencing resolved.

Bidirectional MIDI is required (whether using 2 separate 5-pin MIDI cables or one 7-pin MIDI cable) so the GT22 is synced with the AxeFx3.

Thanks to everyone that may have contributed ideas or just read to see if they might help.

Cheers,
Lee

Edited: I removed information that was proven erroneous, so future New Owners scouring this forum, would not go down what I might call a false rabbit hole.

Last edited:
Is there some setting in your layout that would cause this problem? When I switch to any preset above 127 I see the correct preset in the display window for a split second then it switches down to a preset from 0-127. Every preset above 127 get "translated" down to 0-127. The offset seems to be consistant and predictable, so I assume there is a specific setting somewhere governing this (or it's a bug).

Is there some setting in your layout that would cause this problem? When I switch to any preset above 127 I see the correct preset in the display window for a split second then it switches down to a preset from 0-127. Every preset above 127 get "translated" down to 0-127. The offset seems to be consistant and predictable, so I assume there is a specific setting somewhere governing this (or it's a bug).
No. I'm actually experiencing this issue here with the latest firmware but haven't had time to troubleshoot it.

You can try re-reading all the presets from your AFIII into your RJM. That kind of made things better for me.

No. I'm actually experiencing this issue here with the latest firmware but haven't had time to troubleshoot it.

You can try re-reading all the presets from your AFIII into your RJM. That kind of made things better for me.
I have reloaded all my presets many times, with all sorts of changes. It does that preset shifting to the lower 0-127 thing every time Perhaps it's a firmware bug, since we both have the same problem.

I am getting closer to a solution (I hope). When Bi-Directional MIDI is on I get the preset conversion down to 0-127 When I switch it off, it works correctly, ut no onboard tuner display. This seems like a setting somewhere, either on the GT22 or in the Axe-FX is doing this. It's either a "feature" or a bug. Hopefully, this will be a clue aling the way to solving the issue.

What do you think causes the higher presets to switch down to 0-127? Someone in the Fractal forum asked me to upload the layout (yours). They suggested that some of your presets had IA commands that "always" switched something and that may have confused the Axe-FX. They mentioned "Burgs" and "2112". Does that make any sense?

Yek on the Fractal forum solved it for me. I uploaded the IAreSee layout I was using and he found some "incorrect" settings that were causing the preset switching issue. He corrcted them and reuploaded the GT22 settings file. That fixed it for me.. I am not totally sure what he changed. Some buttons on Page 5 that had nothing to do with my setup.

IAreSee what are the "2112" and "Burg's" buttons for on page 5 for? Yek seems to think those were the problem and removed them. How do you even get to Page 5? I am just trying to understand how all this stuff works and why it doesn't in some cases. Why did those buttons and their commands cause the higher presets to switch down to the 0-12 range?

RJM MMGT Editor 4.9.1 2023-01-24 Page 5.jpgRJM MMGT Editor 4.9.1 2023-01-24 Page 5 2112.jpg

Last edited:
IAreSee what are the "2112" and "Burg's" buttons for on page 5 for? Yek seems to think those were the problem and removed them. How do you even get to Page 5? I am just trying to understand how all this stuff works and why it doesn't in some cases. Why did those buttons and their commands cause the higher presets to switch down to the 0-12 range?

View attachment 2688View attachment 2689
They take to you to those presets which are the start of presets from those forumites.

Back