New build with 2 amp types?

JimP

Hello everyone - first post here ! I have a wiring question regarding the PCB 6x. I'm currently in the process of a new pedalboard build and acquiring all the materials and pedals including getting ready to order a PCB 6x. I've been reviewing the manual and trying to figure out if/how I can wire something. What I want to do is run the PCB to two separate amps. One of the amps is a "real" amp with an effects loop. The other would be a Strymon Iridium, which does not have an effects loop. This would enable to me use both a real amp or just take my board and go to FOH/power amp. I see in the PCB manual how you can send the PCB to two separate amps, both with effects loops using insert cables. The problem I foresee is that I would still like to use the Iridium having pre and post amp effects - exactly the same pre and post that I would have with the real amp/effects loop. But I'm not sure how I would put the Iridium in the middle of the effects, considering the output would go directly to FOH/power amp. I am putting junction boxes under the board for all the connections to amp etc. Does anyone have any experience or ideas how I would go about accomplishing this ? I am about to pull the trigger on an Iridium and I want to make sure this is going to be the right pedal for me, or do I need to find something else similar. Thanks in advance for any help - I appreciate it and look forward to a new PCB !

Welcome, first of all

Disclaimer: I don’t have an Iridium, but… Do you want to be able to use your real amp and the Strymon Iridium simultaneously, or would it always be one or the other?

If it’s the latter, I would think you could just put the Iridium in a PBC loop, wherever you want it in the signal chain, the same way you would the effects loop send and return from your real amp. Then you could setup the PBC to use either the Iridium loop or the real amp.

Of course, doing it that way would mean any post-Iridium effects would be getting the Iridium’s power amp and cab sim. That may or may not be an issue.

Trying to run both Iridium and real amp together might get a bit more complicated.

Welcome, first of all

Disclaimer: I don’t have an Iridium, but… Do you want to be able to use your real amp and the Strymon Iridium simultaneously, or would it always be one or the other?

If it’s the latter, I would think you could just put the Iridium in a PBC loop, wherever you want it in the signal chain, the same way you would the effects loop send and return from your real amp. Then you could setup the PBC to use either the Iridium loop or the real amp.

Of course, doing it that way would mean any post-Iridium effects would be getting the Iridium’s power amp and cab sim. That may or may not be an issue.

Trying to run both Iridium and real amp together might get a bit more complicated.
I was going to suggest this too, as the most straightforward solution. Running delay and reverb after the Iridium would be more like a studio kind of thing, where those effects are applied after the mic on the amp.

I don't know of a dedicated amp sim (though I'm admittedly no expert) that has an effects loop, but the Line 6 HX Stomp may meet your needs. It does have amp sims as part of it, and you can set up your signal chain however you want using its effects loop anywhere in the HX Stomp's internal signal path (i.e., before or after the preamp, power amp, IR, etc.), plus you have the added bonus of all the other built-in effects if you ever wanted to add something else to your board that you don't need a dedicated pedal for.

Personally, I use the HX Stomp for amp sims but I use it off my board. I consider amp (physical or virtual) as a separate component, and I can either plug my board into my amp(s) or my HX Stomp. I like the separation of concerns. But if you're looking to integrate an amp sim into your board, the junction box thing is a critical solution to make sure that you can patch pedals in the effects loop of either one with little to no rewiring or reconfiguration.

Welcome, first of all

Thanks Andrew - no, I would not want to run them at the same time. Just want to set it it up so that if I want to use a real amp, I plug in these cables to junction box, if I want to use the Iridium, I plug in less cables to the junction box. So sounds like I can put it in a loop, in any order, then send the output to the INS S jack - where I could have an insert cable with one plug going to a junction box for the amp, and the other plug going to a junction box that goes to FOH. Does that sound right?

I think that would work, but I should probably say I don’t have a 6X, either, I have a PBC10.

That said, I’m not sure why you would use the insert loop send from the 6X with an insert cable rather than the output.

I suppose (guessing here, to be honest) you could set it up so that if you are using your real amp, you would go from the 6X output back into the amp’s effects loop return. If you were using the Iridium, you could send it out from the INS send, with the loop order set so that the insert loop is at the end of your signal chain. Then maybe program a button on the 6X so you can choose which output to use, depending on whether you’re using Iridium or real amp. That way you could leave cables from the 6X to you junction box plugged in, and then just go out from the junction box to whichever amplification method you’re using.

I don't know of a dedicated amp sim (though I'm admittedly no expert) that has an effects loop, but the Line 6 HX Stomp may meet your needs.
The DSM & Humboldt Simplifier and the Deluxe version thereof have effects loops. Again, I don’t have one, but I’ve heard good things about them.

I think that would work, but I should probably say I don’t have a 6X, either, I have a PBC10.

That said, I’m not sure why you would use the insert loop send from the 6X with an insert cable rather than the output.

I suppose (guessing here, to be honest) you could set it up so that if you are using your real amp, you would go from the 6X output back into the amp’s effects loop return. If you were using the Iridium, you could send it out from the INS send, with the loop order set so that the insert loop is at the end of your signal chain. Then maybe program a button on the 6X so you can choose which output to use, depending on whether you’re using Iridium or real amp. That way you could leave cables from the 6X to you junction box plugged in, and then just go out from the junction box to whichever amplification method you’re using.
Sounds like I can definitely make it work - thanks for the info !

Back