New GT16 user--question about midi thru with Axe Fx

79_Limited

Just received my GT16 yesterday and it is so well built and easy to set up.

Question...I need to control both my Voice Live 3 and Axe FX with my Mastermind. Currently I plan to route as follows:

GT16 Midi Out --> Axe Fx Midi In (I am using the RJM Phantom power box to power the GT16) --> Axe Fx Midi Out --Voice Live 3 Midi In.

Thanks for the input.

If your Axe-Fx is a model that doesn't have a dedicated MIDI Thru port, then that's the way to do it. Just make sure to enable MIDI Thru in MIDI settings on the Axe-Fx. If you do have a MIDI Thru port (Axe-Fx II XL and XL+, I think) then use that to connect your Voice Live.

Thanks for the input. My Axe FX XL does have the Midi thru.

I forgot to mention that the Voice Live 3 is the floor unit that will be mounted close to the RJM. To avoid running 2 Midi cables to the Axe FX rack could I run the Remote In to the Midi In of of the Voice Live 3 (Midi channel 2)? That way I can keep the simple 1 phantom powered Midi cable from the RJM to the Axe FX.

I plan to also sync all of these devices with Midi clock.

You can do that, but you need a special MIDI cable that adapts the Remote In port to an output. This cable has pins 1 and 3 on one end wired to pins 4 and 5 on the other. Then, on the Devices tab make sure the MIDI port for the Voice Live is set to Remote In.

We don't, but you could contact a custom cable builder like Best-tronics (www.btpa.com) - it's not on their site, but they could do it on a custom basis.

Bestronics can make one for me.

For this to work do I just need 3 pins wired with Pin 2 being the common pin?

Thank you.

I recommend wiring it like this

1 -> 4
2 -> 2
3 -> 5
4 -> 1
5 -> 3

You only actually need pins 1, 2 and 3 on the GT side connected to pins 4, 2 and 5 on the Voice Live, but If you wire all 5 pins you won't have to worry which end is which, it'll work no matter which way you connect it.

Back