New MEGs?

Thanks everyone! The actual hardware will be done very soon, and I'm frantically trying to finish the editor software and manual. We should be able to ship (just) before the end of the month.

Here's my first of likely many dumb questions:

Let's say you want to split one of the loops into two mono loops. Are you able to control the two mono loops separately?

Having lots of fun planning out my wiring scheme!

Hi there! I'm planning to add a MEG X to my PBC 10 mono rig: I'm already using a MEG, connected to the "out 1-4, in 5-6" (aka insert) loop; I'm also using the four cable method, so every effect in the old MEG goes in front of the amp and every unit in the loops 7-10 of the PBC go into the amp fx loop.

What would be the best method of integrating the new MEG X, in order to benefit from loop reordering and therefore obtaining the ability to position effects before the amps as well as in the fx loop?

I figured out that I need to assign one loop of the MEG X for the connection with the amp fx loop; likewise, I believe I can cascade the two MEG using their regular ins and outs and placing them in the insert loop of the PBC.

So: would it work just using a splitter from the amp fx loop send to the MEG X dedicated (amp fx) loop in and to the PBC in 7-10, with an insert cable merging the MEG X dedicated loop out and the PBC mono out into the amp fx loop return?

Thanks!

Here's my first of likely many dumb questions:

Let's say you want to split one of the loops into two mono loops. Are you able to control the two mono loops separately?

Having lots of fun planning out my wiring scheme!
Yes, you can control them separately, but only the lower numbered loop can be controlled from the front panel. The other side of the loop can only be controlled by MIDI.

Hi there! I'm planning to add a MEG X to my PBC 10 mono rig: I'm already using a MEG, connected to the "out 1-4, in 5-6" (aka insert) loop; I'm also using the four cable method, so every effect in the old MEG goes in front of the amp and every unit in the loops 7-10 of the PBC go into the amp fx loop.

What would be the best method of integrating the new MEG X, in order to benefit from loop reordering and therefore obtaining the ability to position effects before the amps as well as in the fx loop?

I figured out that I need to assign one loop of the MEG X for the connection with the amp fx loop; likewise, I believe I can cascade the two MEG using their regular ins and outs and placing them in the insert loop of the PBC.

So: would it work just using a splitter from the amp fx loop send to the MEG X dedicated (amp fx) loop in and to the PBC in 7-10, with an insert cable merging the MEG X dedicated loop out and the PBC mono out into the amp fx loop return?

Thanks!
The best connection is to put the MEG in the PBC/10's insert loop where the amp's effect loop used to be, then one of the MEGX's loops is used to connect the amp's effect loop.

You wouldn't want to try to merge the MEGX and PBC10's outputs, that wouldn't work.

The best connection is to put the MEG in the PBC/10's insert loop where the amp's effect loop used to be, then one of the MEGX's loops is used to connect the amp's effect loop.

You wouldn't want to try to merge the MEGX and PBC10's outputs, that wouldn't work.
Thanks Ron! That wouldn't work either: the amp fx loop has to be connected as per diagram at page 20 of the PBC manual I believe...

However, I figured out a different solution. Since I'm using few effect pedals with the pre/post mode, I currently need two loops for each of these, one before PBC loop 7 and one after. I should be able to let the MEG X do the pre/post thing, connecting its normal out to the insert loop of the PBC and one of its loop (the dedicated one, "going" to the amp fx loop) to the PBC loop 7 (or subsequent), which becomes now free...

This would allow me to have different colours, putting gain stages before or after modulation and time based effects and even playing with serial/parallel setup in different presets...

Yes, you can control them separately, but only the lower numbered loop can be controlled from the front panel. The other side of the loop can only be controlled by MIDI.
This is great. Let's say you have some mono and stereo loops; if you changed their order up so that a mono loop came after a stereo one, would it automatically sum the stereo loop to mono?

This is great. Let's say you have some mono and stereo loops; if you changed their order up so that a mono loop came after a stereo one, would it automatically sum the stereo loop to mono?
No, only the left side of the signal from the stereo loop would be sent to the mono loop. Mono loop outputs are sent to both the left and right sides of stereo loops that follow them.

Just got the new mini effects gizmo x here! Really stoked on it so far! Here's what I've done for initial testing:

- Buffer sounds awesome!
- No pops/clicks from switching pedals! This was a big bonus as a lot of the other midi switchers use relays that cos the pops (I was previously using a HEX and an ML5).
- Fuzz Mode works perfect! I love that each loop is set up to behave like this.
- Responding to CC's to turning on/off loops perfectly!
- Still need to test the dual mono output functionality before wiring up my board, so I'll need to pick up some of the EBS right angle insert cables.
- Haven't tested the loop order functionality (either as PC or sysex), but I will try that once the board is wired up (I don't necessarily plan to use it much at the moment, but I can def see how great it would be especially with reordering things like delays/loopers/modulation).

Possible bugs?
- Installed MEGX software for Mac. Works great, though I couldn't read/write to the MEGX while my MioXM midi interface was connected to my computer separately (so I had to unplug the MioXM and the problem solved). MEGX connected directly to Mac.
- Set up tuner functionality with GT-22 which works great. I configured my MEGX to mute the output while in tuner mode. Sometimes when toggling the IA button on the GT-22 it doesn't unmute the tuner (GT: system > tuner + CC 119 toggle).

Overall, it's a home run! Been eagerly awaiting for the last number of months so I can finish wiring up my board.

No, only the left side of the signal from the stereo loop would be sent to the mono loop. Mono loop outputs are sent to both the left and right sides of stereo loops that follow them.
Thanks for the info. If the ability to sum is indeed a hardware issue and not a potential future firmware update (fingers crossed!), perhaps someone has a creative workaround to sum stereo loops to mono if need be?

On a separate note, I've been playing around with the Editor and reading the manual, trying to get familiar with them. There are some really neat features in here!

I'd love to save some $$ and build my own insert cables, but I'm not sure I can trust my soldering skills that much yet... It looks like I need 10 insert cables of various lengths. Any recommendations? Are there good solderless insert options yet?

Thanks for the info. If the ability to sum is indeed a hardware issue and not a potential future firmware update (fingers crossed!), perhaps someone has a creative workaround to sum stereo loops to mono if need be?

On a separate note, I've been playing around with the Editor and reading the manual, trying to get familiar with them. There are some really neat features in here!

I'd love to save some $$ and build my own insert cables, but I'm not sure I can trust my soldering skills that much yet... It looks like I need 10 insert cables of various lengths. Any recommendations? Are there good solderless insert options yet?
I'm planning on using the EBS insert cables for all of mine aside from 2 loops that it's too short for.

Possible bugs?
- Installed MEGX software for Mac. Works great, though I couldn't read/write to the MEGX while my MioXM midi interface was connected to my computer separately (so I had to unplug the MioXM and the problem solved). MEGX connected directly to Mac.
- Set up tuner functionality with GT-22 which works great. I configured my MEGX to mute the output while in tuner mode. Sometimes when toggling the IA button on the GT-22 it doesn't unmute the tuner (GT: system > tuner + CC 119 toggle).

I just released a 1.0.1 version of the editor. This should hopefully fix the MIDI interface thing. I still need to look into the tuner issue.

iPad version of the editor should hit the App Store in a few days.

The hardware isn't capable of doing any mixing, sorry. It would add more size, cost and complexity to the product than I would like. For summing the main output to mono, a box like the Goodwood Interfacer would do the job.

Finally did a preliminary wiring of the board with all 6 loops wired as split mono, so I have 12 loops going. Working perfectly! Also the global menu for default loop order is so nice!

Just gotta hook up the CV cables for the Purpll and Ring Mod to the CV.OCD and then I can finally start programming everything!

Here's some pics (ya it's crammed on that novo 18, ill prob need a bigger board if I don't want a rats nest and both sides of the board on extra tall feet).

IMG_0587.jpgIMG_0588.jpgIMG_0589.jpgIMG_0590.jpgIMG_0591.jpg

That's a nice demonstration of how you can use the MEGX in more locations than the PBC/6X. Maximize your board space!

Back