New MEGs?

A little tip for everyone doing the split mono while using a pedal with it's own fx return...

TLDR: Treat the input/send on the pedal as "pedal A", and the return/output on the pedal as "Pedal B"

Here's the long version:

- Each loop can be split into 2 mono loops using TRS insert cables:
- - - Send Loop 1: Tip goes to the Input of the pedal you want in Loop 1, Ring goes to the input of the pedal you want in Loop 7
- - - Return Loop 1: Tip goes to the Output of the pedal you want in Loop 1, Ring goes to the Output of the pedal you want in Loop 7

So Loop 1, both the input and output should be connected to the TIP of Loop 1's send and returns, while Loop 7 is connected to the RING of Loop 1's send and returns.

Pretty straightforward, and I got all my patches correct on first time. Then I hit a snafu when wiring in a pedal that has it's own fx loop, the 3Leaf Audio Chromatron.

I wanted the input/send of the chromatron to be connected to loop 2 (need my impedance sensitive fuzz first), and the return/output of the chromatron on Loop 8. This way, I can have my overdrives, modulation, and PLL within the fx loop of my chromatron (and thus trigger the envelope detector of the chromatron from my clean signal with the most dynamics, but apply the filter after said pedals).

Where I confused myself was in wiring the Input/Send using the Tip and Ring of Loop 2, instead of the Tip and Tip. The Input/Send is essentially "pedal A" which should be Loop 2, and the Return/Output should be "pedal B" which should be loop 8. I spent about an hour troubleshooting (first checked my programming on the MEGX and GT-22, then changed cables and slots on the MEGX, then pulled out the chromatron to test if it worked properly outside of the MEGX, before I realized I wired it wrong).

So it should've been wired like this:
- - - Send Loop 2: Tip goes to the Input of the Chromatron (aka the input of Pedal A), Ring goes to the Return of the Chromatron (aka the input of Pedal B)
- - - Return Loop 2: Tip goes to the Send of the Chromatron (aka the output of Pedal A), Ring goes to the Output of the Chromatron (aka the output of Pedal B).

Anyways, that was the only brain-twister I got from wiring it. It's actually straightforward, but figured someone might also get snagged on this down the line, so I thought it would be helpful.

Tuner Access. I'm almost done setting up my GT10 and MEG X. Everything is working perfectly. The "fuzz mode" really helps Ron. Nice feature to turn off the buffer for that loop. Regarding tuner mode, I understand that the MEG X will do all the tuner calcs, but how do you actually access the tuner in the GT 10? I'm sure it's obvious, but I can see it (in the software or the manual). Help?

Just set up an IA button: Assign CC > MEGX > Tuner. Note that the MEG must be able to communicate back to the GT, so that typically means a 5 or 7-pin MIDI connection from the GT directly to the MEGX.

AHHH..I just discovered that. I am connected directly from my GT10 to MEG X via 5-Pin. Can I assign this "Tuner Mode" via the HOLD function on an existing IA button?

Another ?. You said to set up an IA and assign CC > MEGX > Tuner. The only option where I can assign that "Tuner" is if set up a "System" message. This works on the GT, and I can access the tuner on the main screen, but not signal is reaching the turner. Did I miss a step?

If you right click on a button in the Buttons tab, that's where you'll find the Assign CC > MEGX > Tuner menu option. That will assign two actions: MEGX: Tuner / CC Toggle and System / Tuner. The former activates the tuner on the MEGX, and the latter activates the tuner display on the GT. Both are needed. Also, make sure Bidirectional MIDI is turned on in the GT.

Can't seem to figure out how to make the tuner work. Perhaps you can look at my file. See attached.

Attachments

• CCMM10-090421.rjs
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
Finally placed my order. Snagged the last blem! New MEG-X coming my way.

Maybe I can finally start wiring my studio board!

Back