new member questions

jeffp

Hi; I`m jeff. I have a Marshall JVM 210H, and a G system from TC electronics. My amp dosen`t sound nearly as good through the G system as when i play directly from guitar to amp. Not good. I`m not sure but it seems even with no effects on, just using the channell/mode switching not right tonewise. Does this make sense? All level adjustments have been made. Looking to find a solution.
Thinking of getting RJM Mastermind and mini effects gizmo. Amp is already midi supported.Should that make a difference? I didn`t know what section of forum to post. All input appreciated. Thanks,Jeff

Welcome Jeff.
If the G system has a dry defeat function and you only want to use modulation/delay/reverb in the effects loop of the amp then you need to add a Mini Line Mixer to the MEG to eliminate the cause of the problem - the Analogue to Digital/Digital to Analogue conversion in the G System and its subsequent tone loss.

That is a fairly easy solution but requires very specific setup of the various components, and it imposes some limitations on the G System too. I did a similar thing with an Effects Gizmo, a selection of gain stage pedals, and a GT 8 for time based effects with good success but have moved on to eventide in the rack.

Let us know if we can help any further

:D

Jay

Doesn't the G system have a tone sucking input buffer? IIRC they even released a 'special edition' version that fixed the problem, but that doesn't help you...

I did a quick google on G system tone loss. Lots of other people seem to have this problem, the solution is to put a buffer between your guitar and the g system. RJM sell one - the 'tone saver'. I'd look into that if I were you.

The tone sucking tendencies of multi effect pedals is a widely discussed topic, the price of the unit has no bearing on the matter, it seams they all do it.

The RJM buffer only helps if you can bypass the one in the G System, but you still have the ADDA to deal with...

Basically I would not want to use anything in my effects loop without RJMs Mini Line Mixer, it does exactly what I want it to do - preserve my amps tone.

All my effects are set to 'dry defeat', I don't use units that don't have this feature.

Setup is potentially complex, that depends on what you are wanting to achieve and what you already own.

I advise you read the manuals for the Mini Line Mixer and all the Gizmo products. Figure out what you need and get back to the forum with one of the handy diagrams filled in and ask if your plan would work, between us all we use the products in a huge range of ways and will be able to better assist once we can see what you are trying to do

The learning curve is not too steep, I really enjoyed it. I own an Effects Gizmo and a Mini Line Mixer and think the world of them. :)

Jay; In your first paragraph right after welcome Jeff, you said it all. I`m using a JVM which is midi supported and gsystem. I don`t have a MEG.
The cause of the problem...adda conversion...agree. I have the 1st version of gsystem with my own buffer in front. I`m all level adjusted and tweaked out! I actually have the gsystem boxed up and i quit on it. I`m about to go with mastermind fc,meg and individual analog effects on my pedalboard. Just searching for anything i can do to fix problem w/Gsystem toneloss before i ditch my very expensive unit! Tell me about the very easy solution. No problem with specific setups.Thanks

Hi Jeff.
I do not know enough about your G system but it might still work for you. The following ideas are a starting point for your research not developed solutions. Here goes...

Possibility 1 use it as a MIDI controller for an MEG on a pedal board, use pedals for gain effects and the g system in dry defeat mode for reverb/delay effects through an MLM. Your amp comes after the reverb and delay this way, which you might not like when you hit the Marshal od channel.

Possibility 2 rack the g system in dry defeat mode into the effects loop of your amp with a Rack Gizmo and a MLM. Mount your drive pedals in a draw in the rack and controll the whole lot via the floor board part of the G system (if it can do that). You might get the best of all worlds this way.

Don't take my word for anything! Read all you can and develop the required skills because the words 'easy', 'MIDI', and 'rack' don't occour in the same sentence unless you pay someone to build it for you, then you can add the phrase 'horrendously expensive.

I found this for you, it might help with th G System:
http://www.guitaraffair.com/pdfs/g-syst ... pdf#page56

I built my own, it works a charm. I read a great deal on the subject.

Good luck :)

I saw the videp of building the pedalboard just the other day. Watched it again. I think building a full RJM pedalboard is what i`ll do! Basic,Simple, and Quality components. As mentioned earlier,I`ve had enough level adjusting and tweaking. Someone else can work that(G) out. I want to have fun! Thanks for your thoughts, and input.

Hi All,

Hope I'm posting in the right place.

Just purchased a MasterMind and Mini Effect Gizmo.

I've noticed that when using bank 1, programming preset 1 seems to also program preset 4 and vice versa.

All other banks and presets seem fine.

I'm running firmware 1.3 so hoping upgrading to 1.4 will iron out the gremlin.

I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP with midi interface, connected to a MacBook Pro running 10.8.4 and mmj installed in the library - but no dice.

The RJM firmware installer sees the Focusrite, but it's showing as both the in and out midi ports?

The Mastermind is connected from the Remote In port via 5 pin cable to the Midi Out on the Focusrite.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

A.

Hello,

It sounds like the presets have been edited on the Mastermind so that two presets send the same program change message. I'd factory reset the Mastermind and it'll put everything into the right state for controlling the Mini Effect Gizmo.

When doing a firmware update, both the input and output of the MIDI interface need to be selected, and two cables need to be connected - interface's MIDI out to to Mastermind's MIDI In, and interface's MIDI input to the Mastermind's MIDI Out.

Back