Nixie Firmware bug fixed

The Full Nelsons

Not sure if this has already been posted (couldn't find it when I searched ) but the bug that was present in the firmware update allowing the Big Sky and Timeline to work with Nixie ( the bug made the pedal think that it was in Kill Dry when it was not ) is apparently fixed according to Matt at Strymon. I have not tried it yet as my gear is at rehearsal hall but here is his email reply:

Matt Alegrete (Strymon)

Nov 10, 15:56 AKST

Hello David,
Thank you for supporting Strymon.

Yes, actually we have a new version of firmware out now that solves this bug and keeps compatibility with Nixie. I am attaching the file to this email for you now (for both pedals).

To load them up, just drag and drop the firmware over the respective pedals in Nixie and they will install automatically.

Hope this helps!

Matt Alegrete
Customer Support
Strymon Engineering

www.strymon.net www.youtube.com/strymon www.facebook.com/strymon www.twitter.com/strymon www.instagram.com/strymonengineering

Attachment(s)
BIGSKY 1v44.syx TLDeuce 1v84.syx

David Weaver

Nov 8, 17:04 AKST

Hello. I was trying to use Nixie in the past and there was a known bug in the firmware update necessary to use the software that told the pedal it was in Killdry when it was not in fact in that mode and you had to go in and turn it off and on again to work. Has there been a fix for that problem or any movement forward to get a stable version going. It would very handy to be able to use this program for setting up the Timeline and Big Sky.

Thanks for your reply

David

I've had these for weeks and weeks, but he told me not to give them out to anyone since they weren't public yet....doesn't look like he told you that, so maybe they are ready to release to everyone now. Good stuff!

I've had these for weeks and weeks, but he told me not to give them out to anyone since they weren't public yet....doesn't look like he told you that, so maybe they are ready to release to everyone now. Good stuff!
As I said I have not tried them yet....hope it was OK to post it here. Matt did not indicate that it was a Beta. I will load them up today and report my experience

Thanks for posting! I'll keep them up unless Strymon tells me otherwise. I suspect that they must be getting close to an official release.

Obviously test for yourself in case you find something I didn’t...but they work perfect. All the Drykill and spillover problems are gone and I can’t find any other issues. Nixie still has issues IMO, but hopefully they’ll fix that with an official release.

Can confirm that bugs are fixed up. Killdry on when it says it’s on. Still couldn’t figure out how to write to pedals using PCB midi in to connect ( reads from both pedals with no problems but can’t write back). Plugged directly into pedals all works as it should.

Can confirm that bugs are fixed up. Killdry on when it says it’s on. Still couldn’t figure out how to write to pedals using PCB midi in to connect ( reads from both pedals with no problems but can’t write back). Plugged directly into pedals all works as it should.

I experience the same. I have to connect right to the pedals in order to get the write to work. You would think that I should be able to plug into the PBC MIDI IN with my USB interface, then into the last Strymon pedal with the other side of the USB interface and it would work, but something about the PBC makes the interface not work right. My MIDI chain is simply PBC>BigSky>Timeline>Mobius at that point...no other splitters, converters, etc involved. Oh well....maybe we'll figure out a fix for it soon.

Hot off the press....unless I'm crazy (don't rule that out)...I believe Strymon just posted a new "non-beta" version of the Nixie editor on their website. I'm one of those freaks that checks everyday to see if they have!!

Downloading now to check it out...

Hot off the press....unless I'm crazy (don't rule that out)...I believe Strymon just posted a new "non-beta" version of the Nixie editor on their website. I'm one of those freaks that checks everyday to see if they have!!

Downloading now to check it out...
Cool ...let us know...if you figure out a way to use it with PCB I would love to know ( writing to pedals ) would be handy

Well, haven't gotten a chance to connect to my board yet, but honestly...the program looks EXACTLY the same. No new functions that I can see in any menu...nothing. Not sure what's different. In fact, if someone had updated my Nixie without telling me, I wouldn't have noticed.

Maybe it is different and I just can't see it. Maybe some bug fixes? Maybe it does something spectacular when you connect to the pedals...but from what I see now, same as before.

I'm actually running the new version right now, updating my Strymon pedal firmware using a PBC as the MIDI interface (!). It's an excellent test for that 4.0 feature. Nixie does look the same, but I'm hoping that they squashed some of those bugs in the editor and the firmware.

I'm actually running the new version right now, updating my Strymon pedal firmware using a PBC as the MIDI interface (!). It's an excellent test for that 4.0 feature. Nixie does look the same, but I'm hoping that they squashed some of those bugs in the editor and the firmware.

Ron, how are you using Nixie thru the PBC? I'm updating my firmware right now, but I couldn't get it to see the Strymons (I have all 3) through the USB cable.

I've got the regular USB cable going from the PC to the PBC. Then I have the USB MIDI interface plugged into the PC, the MIDI OUT cable is plugged into the MIDI IN on the PBC, and the MIDI IN on the USB interface is plugged into the MIDI IN on my last Strymon pedal. The MIDI cable that is permanent on my board (going from MIDI OUT on the PBC and daisy chaining all of my Strymons together) is still hooked up like normal.

If you're getting it to work another way, I'd love to know about it!

Ron, how are you using Nixie thru the PBC? I'm updating my firmware right now, but I couldn't get it to see the Strymons (I have all 3) through the USB cable.

I've got the regular USB cable going from the PC to the PBC. Then I have the USB MIDI interface plugged into the PC, the MIDI OUT cable is plugged into the MIDI IN on the PBC, and the MIDI IN on the USB interface is plugged into the MIDI IN on my last Strymon pedal. The MIDI cable that is permanent on my board (going from MIDI OUT on the PBC and daisy chaining all of my Strymons together) is still hooked up like normal.

If you're getting it to work another way, I'd love to know about it!

It's a new feature in the 4.0 firmware I'm working on, I hope to have others start testing it next month.

Back