No Presets

cgscotto

Hello,
I had something unusual happen, and I wanted to ask what might be the cause. In my rack, I have an Effect Gizmo that is phantom powering the Mastermind LT. Like most rack setups, I am using a Furman PL-8C to supply power everything including the power supplies that feed the EG and pedals. The PL-8C has a protection feature called EVS or Extreme Voltage Shutoff, so if the voltage spikes over 140, a relay trips and shuts power off to the PL-8C before the spike can damage the things plugged into it. In the many years (and I mean a lot) I have been using these power conditioners, I have never experienced a spike that tripped the EVS, until a couple of nights ago. I have no idea what caused the spike, there was no lightening. The Furman did its job. Once I switched the unit off and back on (which is what you are supposed to do to reset the EVS), everything attached to it worked perfectly.

The only problem I had was the Mastermind LT displayed "No Presets," and it was right it had no presets at all. I loaded the backup I had onto the LT and everything has been fine. What I am curious about is how did it get into the state where all the preset information was gone, as if I erased the memory. Side question is do you think any damage was done. It seems to operating just fine once I reloaded all the information.

As always, thanks in advance.

It's hard to say what happened, but either the memory got corrupted, or the LT switched to an empty song or setlist. When you say it had no presets at all, how did you verify that? If the actual preset list was empty, then memory was actually erased. But, if you couldn't access any presets from the normal operating mode, it could be (and probably was) an empty song or setlist.

The display was showing "No Presets." When I pressed the preset buttons nothing happened. I just tried switching modes to both setlist 1 and all songs (I don't have songs or andy setlists defined at the moment). The display showed the last preset that was active and none of the preset or bank buttons accessed any presets, which is the behavior you described if the LT was on an empty song or setlist. But the display did not say "No Presets." I tried it on my other two LTs, and the behavior was exactly the same, and neither of those units displayed "No Presets."

Everything seems fine with the LT once I loaded a backup. I think I may have had it connected to my laptop (running on battery) with the Mastermind editor open at the time, and I am wondering the memory could have become corrupted when the power to the unit was suddenly disconnected. If I had not panicked at the time, I should have gone into setup mode to see if the LT had switched to song or setlist mode.

Anyway, no harm done. I just like to know what is going on, so I can take the best course of action.

Back