Noise Floor Issue with PBC through amp

Hey everyone!

I’m having a bit of a noise issue potentially with my PBC. In my home studio I use the PBC to route audio both to my amp (matchless) and out of my DAW back into the stereo path for parallel FX. This allows me to use the Parallel Stereo FX as outboard units quickly, and can run vocals, acoustic, drums, etc... through the pedals.

All of this works fine until i connect the PBC to the front of my amp. I use a loadbox off my main amp and run impulse responses in my DAW. When the PBC (output 1-6) is run into the front of my amp, i get increased noise floor (about -40db), even with no pedals on.
I tested this even with the PBC off (fully bypassed) and still got noisefloor issues.

Now here’s the strange part, if I unplug the PBC to the front of my amp, and go direct into the amp from my guitar, the noise is gone (-70db or less).

I’ve turned on/off all buffers, isolated ground on the PBC, amp loadbox ground, flipped phase, etc....

The PBC is powered via a strymon Zuma (i think it’s 12VDC but could also be 9V at 500ma.

I initially thought the noise was my amp, until i plugged directly into the amp and had no noise at all.

Any idea what this could be?

The noise doesn’t sound like grounding noise, it’s more like a static sound intermittent, but definitely loud enough to be heard in a mix.

Here is a video i made showing what I’m talking about.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gc3ig1dq6bvdkb1/PBC Noise Floor Test.mp4?dl=0

Thanks!

If that's just guitar->PBC->amp, then there's probably something going on with the PBC. Please contact us at support@rjmmusic.com and we can arrange to get it in here to look at it.

Back