Nuts coming loose (!)

mcvittym

I recently noticed that several of the foot-switches on my Mastermind PBC were wobbling, because the nuts holding them tight had worked loose. I took a look at the foot-switches on my Eventide H9 pedals and they were firm, although they had a washer behind them. Anyway, when I tightened the nuts, foot-switch 1 stopped working. Any advice, other than take the unit to a tech to fix?

It definitely sounds like the unit will need to be opened up to see what's going on. You can send it to us or a competent tech if you don't want to tackle it yourself. Here's a video showing how to disassemble it and tighten the switches (it works best if you tighten from the inside and from the outside simultaneously).

Regarding switch 1, I suspect that the spring that goes between the switch button and the actual switch element fell out or is misaligned. It should just be a matter of putting the spring back into position.

Great video, Ron! I've tightened mine a few times, and sometimes the switch would rotate with the force of tightening them from the topside only. I was always afraid the switches were hardwired and the wires were twisting when the switch twisted. So glad to know that's not the case! Great design!

BTW, the guys at XTS are really loving the PBC. Mine was the first they'd worked with, but since then they've done probably 1/2 a dozen, and always comment about the support you provide and how you are ahead of the game with the PBC.

Followed the video this morning, and yes the spring had detached itself from foot switch one, so I re-attached it, tightened the nuts and it's all working now! Thanks, Ron.

Great! Glad to hear it's working. Once they're tightened with two sockets, they should stay in place. We didn't discover that trick (or the need for it) until the PBC had been shipping for a while, so some earlier units are getting loose switches. But so far those that have been corrected are staying tightened.

Back