PBC 10 no trails when set to parallel - some pedals, not all!

jjtguitar

I'm having some weird issues getting trails working between presets on my PBC10.

Loops 7-10 are all parallel, and from looking at another thread on this topic (https://www.rjmmusic.com/forum/index.php?threads/no-trails-when-set-to-parallel.1851/) I have double checked loops are parallel (they are), and no redundant PC messages are being sent (they aren't in my test presets).

I have a Strymon BigSky in Loop 7, Eventide H9 in Loop 8, Free the Tone Future Factory delay in Loop 9 and Neunaber Illumine in Loop 10. All stereo in/out, all controlled by MIDI.

This is how I'm testing. I have two presets. "Big Wash" and "Dry".
"Big Wash" has drive pedals in Loops 3 and 4 on, plus I have been testing Loops 7-10 one at a time. MIDI PC messages are sent to all pedals to select presets.
"Dry" turns all active loops off, and turns on Loop 6. No PC messages are transmitted on this preset, so no MIDI pedals are doing any changes when I go between Big Wash and Dry.

So I choose a big washy traily preset on each pedal, strum away, stop strumming, then switch to the dry preset. I have done this individually for each of Loop 7-10.

Loops 9 and 10 seem to be working properly with trails. However when I test a huge washy preset on the BigSky or H9, get some good trails going, then change to a Dry preset, the trails are cut off. This happens with just Loop 7, and just Loop 8.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, or what I'm missing. Would love some insight into where the issue is.

Yeah I read that, but it shouldn't be the case here, as the BigSky does do spillover, and is set to spillover on, and the H9 isn't changing patches, so as I understand it, the H9 just thinks it's staying on that sound. The loop is the only thing changing, nothing on the H9.

I recommend trying to move the H9 to loop 9 or 10 to see if it starts working. That'll tell us a bit more about where the problem lies.

Ron like usual always has the best answer:cool:. Consider settings, if you have send on preset etc, that could affect H9 trails even though you're not changing to a different preset. Just thinking out loud.

Have swapped pedals around.
BigSky was in Loop 7, now in Loop 9
H9 was in Loop 8, now in Loop 10
Future Factory was in Loop 9, now in Loop 7
Illumine was in Loop 10, now in Loop 8

BigSky is the only pedal that will do spillover between presets. The other three do not spillover when changing presets.

I have double checked that I am sending no PC messages for the "Dry" preset. Can't remember the "send on preset" thing, but the pedals aren't reacting like they are getting any messages when I change to the "Dry" preset.

Loops 7 & 8 seem to be the culprit. I have set each MIDI pedal to a super long washy/long trails preset, and tested each loop individually.

Loops 9 & 10 (previously had Future Factory and Illumine, now have BigSky and H9) have spillover when changing between "Big Wash" and "Dry" preset.

Loops 7 & 8 (previously BigSky and H9, now Future Factory and Illumine), sound cuts off as soon as the preset changes. Spillover is still happening in the pedal itself because I can change back to "Big Wash" and the existing trails are still trailing.

If I go to my Loops page, if I engage Loop 7 or 8 (both in parallel), the pedal in each loop will make sound, but as soon as the loop is disengaged, the trails stop. Loops 9 & 10, if I do the same thing, the trails keep trailing even after I have disengaged the loop.

So the big sky works as it should in 7 & 9? Did you try just that one pedal in 8 & 10? It's not something with your cabling maybe something is out of phase?

Here is the settings file. I don't think that it would be cabling, because when I swapped the pedals around, the cables stayed in the pedals (I repatched at the PBC end)

Attachments

• HUMP PBC H9.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
I'd look at your loops button page. Aside from maybe there's something wrong with your board, as I mentioned untick the send on preset boxes on at least the pedals on those parallel loops which you're having issues. Every time you change preset it's sending multiple PC and CC messages on them. Some that see this may be the reason why trails are cut. Just an idea. The update on state box doesn't send messages.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've gone and tried unticking send on preset boxes, but it doesn't fix the problem.
I'm pretty sure the problem lies with the PBC, or maybe the cabling (phase?). When I set a super long decaying preset, activate one of Loop 7 - 10, play the guitar, then toggle each parallel loops on and off, Loops 7 and 8 cut off the sound, but when you activate the loop, the decaying sound is still there. Loops 9 and 10, the decay continues. So the pedals are definitely still decaying regardless of which loop they are in, it's just that the decaying sounds are getting cut off when Loops 7 or 8 are turned off. The display is showing that those loops are set to parallel, and when I toggle those loops to series they behave as I would expect (no dry signal, all wet because I have kill dry set on each of the pedals in loops 7-10).

Did you try this with only one pedal plugged in each loop...like the Strymon? Don't have any other cables connected since the jacks are normalized when nothing is plugged into them. That would eliminate cable/pedal concerns then... Unfortunitly, I've got nothing else to offer offhand. Curuious to to seeing the outcome in the end whatever the issue is. If anything, this is good information for others to help troubleshoot.

Did you try this with only one pedal plugged in each loop...like the Strymon? Don't have any other cables connected since the jacks are normalized when nothing is plugged into them. That would eliminate cable/pedal concerns then... Unfortunitly, I've got nothing else to offer offhand. Curuious to to seeing the outcome in the end whatever the issue is. If anything, this is good information for others to help troubleshoot.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that next week, have a gig this weekend and don't have time to troubleshoot that before hand (and it isn't a mission critical issue).

I have worked out what I was doing wrong. Turns out that Trails was turned off on loops 7 and 8. I didn't know there was a trails on/off setting, but now I do! Turned trails to on, and everything works perfectly.

I have worked out what I was doing wrong. Turns out that Trails was turned off on loops 7 and 8. I didn't know there was a trails on/off setting, but now I do! Turned trails to on, and everything works perfectly.
sometimes it's the simplest things! Glad it's working for you now.

Back