PBC 6/X - Buffers and Pedal Order

kingb

Hello ... I'm trying to troubleshoot and minimize some sonic differences relating to volumes, buffers, and pedal order. Here's the scenario:

King of Tone (4jack): yellow side in + loop * and red side in 5 loop
Volante in loop 4
PBC 6/X buffer on **

* using the + loop here because the KoT can be funny when there's no/some buffer before it. This just keeps it more consistent
** there's no apparent sound difference with the buffer on/off regardless of other loops being on/off .. all or none. I have in2 as Tuner Out so in that case the buffer may always be on, but also notice no difference with Tuner Out off and buffer on/off

So what happens is that when the pedal order is 4 > + > 5, then there is very little to no sonic change when toggling loop 4 (Volante) on/off. However, when the ordering is + > 5 > 4 ... then toggling loop 4 definitely has a volume and treble boost to the signal.

So I'm wondering...
- Is my buffer actually on (how to tell)?
- Is this unavoidable - that the Strymon buffer is that different then bypassed?
- any other suggestions?

Kevin

There isn't any way to tell that the buffer is on per se, except that it has to be on when the insert loop is activated.

Is loop 5 always on in your tests? If so, the interaction in your second test is between the output of the pedal in loop 5 and the input of the pedal in loop 4. The buffer isn't going to have any effect on loop 4 because loop 5 is in between.

Ok - I feel like a chimp here. I have a "stereo" setup (amp and line out). Turns out what I was hearing was due to the amp and line signals being out of phase. The clean channel on my amp switches phase. This completely explains the behavior (brighter, change in volume, etc).

But does raise another question: Do the buffers have any effect on the signal phase?

Ok - I feel like a chimp here. I have a "stereo" setup (amp and line out). Turns out what I was hearing was due to the amp and line signals being out of phase. The clean channel on my amp switches phase. This completely explains the behavior (brighter, change in volume, etc).

But does raise another question: Do the buffers have any effect on the signal phase?

No, they don't. The PBC/6X maintains phase throughout.

Back