PBC/6X not syncing Mobius properly with midi clock.

Rod Castro

So i have a bit of a weird issue happening. Im relatively new to Midi. I have my pbc/6x running midi clock on my timeline and my mobius. I have a dedicated page that has banks 1-3 as my gain stages and bank 4 is set to be a tap tempo running midi clock not "cc" tap. the timeline syncs perfectly whereas the mobius will occasionally be off by 1 or 2 bpm. i also set the bank up and bank down mode to be able to adjust the tempo by increments of one so when i'm in the studio its fairly easy to sync both to whatever song i'm working on.

when i adjust the tempo using this, the timeline syncs perfectly and the mobius will only catch on every couple of adjustments. i tried going direct to the mobius from the rjm and its having the same issue. seems weird that the timeline has zero issues but theres an issue with communcating the information from the timeline to the mobius. all midi settings in the mobius seem to be identical to the timeline. not sure what else could be the issue? i hope this makes sense?

i didnt have this issue before with a previous midi controller so im assuming its some kind of user error on my end but i just cant figure out what it is exactly.

Any help is super appreciated!

Ive attached my settings here as well in case anyone can take a look and see if im missing something.

thanks!

Rod

Attachments

• Rod Castro PBC 6x Settings.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
I'm pretty sure Jim is answering this one on the helpdesk already, but I'll chime in here.

MIDI clock is a broadcast signal that's sent out and any pedal can listen to it and interpret it as it likes. If the Timeline is receiving the clock correctly, then the clock signal is being sent correctly.

I recommend trying to connect the Mobius directly to the PBC's MIDI output and see if its behavior improves. If it does, the Timeline is doing something to the clock signal and you would need to contact Strymon about it. If the Mobius doesn't improve, I would suspect the Mobius itself, or perhaps the MIDI cable that connects them. I'm not inclined to suspect the PBC at this time because the Timeline is getting a stable clock signal.

Yeah the mobius has the same issue when going direct to the RJM with a separate midi cable. Wondering if anyone else has had this issue? The mobius is pretty new.

Yeah the mobius has the same issue when going direct to the RJM with a separate midi cable. Wondering if anyone else has had this issue? The mobius is pretty new.
I haven't used a Mobius in a couple years. I know that no one else has brought this up to me in the past, and we have a tons of customers that use Strymon pedals.

One thing to check is to make sure the Mobius has the latest firmware, they could have had a bug.

I can also confirm this same behavior. PBC6X and Mobius connected directly over MIDI. Tap Tempo button (Flash w/ Tempo On) for the clock works and the Mobius registers this for the most part, it isn't always accurate (the RJM tempo and Mobius tempo can end up a couple numbers off sometimes). If I set a button for Add 1 and a button for Minus 1 in System/BPM, the Mobius doesn't register every press, but rather every 2 or 3 presses.

So if Tap in 125BPM, everything is good (usually... sometimes it doesn't sync up exactly, there must be a discrepancy in how the RJM rounds to whole numbers and how the Strymon rounds to whole numbers). So that's where the Add 1 or Minus 1 can come in handy. If I step on add 1 or minus 1, the RJM tempo changes but the Mobius takes 2 or 3 presses of either button to sync up and then it'll jump straight to the tempo 2 or 3 bpm away. I have also just stepped on Add 1 and waited several minutes for it to maybe catch up, but it doesn't respond until 2 or 3 presses later.

This has worked fine with a Boss ES5, ES8, and Disaster Area DPC5 in other rigs. Timeline works perfectly with the clock tap tempo and the add 1/minus1 via the RJM, but the Mobius seems to have a quirk!

So weird, I can't imagine how that's even possible. I do have a Mobius somewhere, I'll see what I can figure out.

Back