PBC/6X & Protein Overdrive Wiring

Devan Bumstead

This may sound dumb...but on the 2.2 version of the Protein overdrive you can run insert cables so you can use each side independently in a switcher. I, however, am out of free loops to use and can only use one for the Protein.

But if I were to hook the Protein up to one of the stereo loops, would there be some magical setting I could use to split the two sides of the Protein in the PBC internally? So just hook up TRS cables to the send and return of one of the stereo loops and then configure that loop somehow, some way, to be able to individually control each side?

I know it's a long shot.

You can do it! This is actually one of my favorite features that was added to the PBC 6/X after its initial release. If you're using the 6/X (not the 10), then any of the stereo loops (including the insert loop) can actually be split into two mono loops! Because of this, the 6/X can actually hold up to 11 separate mono pedals in individually controlled/ordered loops!

To do so you must have a TRS cable leaving the PBC. For the Protein, you can just run the TRS cables directly into the pedal (love that he did that), but in most instances you have to get a TRS to dual TS cable.

Once you have it connected properly, go to the Audio tab in the editor, and check the "Split Mono" button for the applicable stereo loop, or the "Split Insert Loop" box for the insert loop. Doing so will create an additional loop down below in the Audio Features section, and you can re-order it and set default bypass states from there.

Hope that helps!

You can do it! This is actually one of my favorite features that was added to the PBC 6/X after its initial release. If you're using the 6/X (not the 10), then any of the stereo loops (including the insert loop) can actually be split into two mono loops! Because of this, the 6/X can actually hold up to 11 separate mono pedals in individually controlled/ordered loops!

To do so you must have a TRS cable leaving the PBC. For the Protein, you can just run the TRS cables directly into the pedal (love that he did that), but in most instances you have to get a TRS to dual TS cable.

Once you have it connected properly, go to the Audio tab in the editor, and check the "Split Mono" button for the applicable stereo loop, or the "Split Insert Loop" box for the insert loop. Doing so will create an additional loop down below in the Audio Features section, and you can re-order it and set default bypass states from there.

Hope that helps!

I’M SOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!! Wooohooo!! Thanks for the good news

So...As far as what kind of cable I can use for a TRS connection (non-midi)..would I be able to use BTPA's CA-1007 cable? It's a mini starquad that I've been using for some of my midi to TRS connections. Is there any danger in using this for TRS audio?

You can certainly make it work, but that would be making it more complicated than necessary given that CA-1007 is a 4-conductor cable + ground and TRS only requires a 2-conductor cable + ground. You'd be better off using something like Mogami W2552 IMO.

You can certainly make it work, but that would be making it more complicated than necessary given that CA-1007 is a 4-conductor cable + ground and TRS only requires a 2-conductor cable + ground. You'd be better off using something like Mogami W2552 IMO.

It’s good to know it’ll work with the CA-1007. Thanks!! In my case, Mogami would be more complicated cause I’d have to order it.

You can do it!...To do so you must have a TRS cable leaving the PBC. For the Protein, you can just run the TRS cables directly into the pedal (love that he did that), but in most instances you have to get a TRS to dual TS cable.

So I got it all working, but not without some head scratching at first! I initally just made TRS cables and wired the send on one side and the return on the other. That method didn't work. It was basically just like wiring up a regular pedal, the sides weren't split. But then I actually read the PBC/6X manual and I realized the wiring in this case is a little more complicated.

To make it easy for anyone else interested, I make a little diagram!

Protein-Split-Mono-Wiring.jpg

Here's what she looks like in the wild...

Split-Mono-Cable-Detail-Protein.png

Last edited:
So I got it all working, but not without some head scratching at first! I initally just made TRS cables and wired the send on one side and the return on the other. That method didn't work. It was basically just like wiring up a regular pedal, the sides weren't split. But then I actually read the PBC/6X manual and I realized the wiring in this case is a little more complicated.

To make it easy for anyone else interested, I make a little diagram!

Protein-Split-Mono-Wiring.jpg

Here's what she looks like in the wild...

Split-Mono-Cable-Detail-Protein.png
Could you post your diagram please?

This is a great feature of the Protein drive that I didn’t know was there. I can see how this is useful when connecting each side of the pedal to different 2 loops, as you could turn on/off each loop or stack them - all from the RJM.

How does that work with a split mono loop? Can you turn on/off each of the split mono loops individually?

How does that work with a split mono loop? Can you turn on/off each of the split mono loops individually?
Yes! In the audio tab of the PBC 6/X editor there are options to split each stereo loop. When you do so, you’ll see new loops added to the signal chain order, and they’ll each be as controllable as any other loops.

Back