PBC: HX Stomp & Walrus D1 CC Messages (Solved!)

Natty84

I've had the PBC for close to a month now and I'm loving it more and more as I unlock different ideas and capabilities. Such a great piece of kit and it is saving me a massive amount of time with its editor. Well done Ron and the RJM team! Really satisfied customer.

I am however struggling to get two things working the way I'd like. I've attached my config file here as well for context.

1) HX STOMP: I have a Gain block on my Stomp that I use for solo boosts (+3.5dbs). The goal is for that Gain block to activate whenever I hit the PBC presets that I've designed to be solos. I've tried two ways of sending activate CCs from the PBC - Footswitch 2 where I assigned the Gain block (CC msg 50 value 127) and the MIDI CC I assigned on the Stomp (CC msg 11 value 127).

The issue I'm having is that the Gain block will cycle on and off whenever I change presets. That's even for presets where I don't have any Gain Block CC msgs being sent. Even adding a CC message to deactivate the block for non-solo presets doesn't stop it from cycling on / off.

I've tried CC Toggle / CC Momentary on the Buttons page and also in the Preset Actions... As soon as I add a CC msg to control Footswitch 2 or my assigned CC it will toggle on / off when changing presets.

I'm at a loss how to rig this up! HELP!

2) Walrus D1: The second is with the Walrus Audio Mako D1. The default state when turning on is bypassed. I want to program the PBC to send the CC msg to engage the pedal on startup. I tried it under Macros but was unable to get it to work. I even tried adding the CC msg to the first preset and it still wouldn't engage. At the moment I'm manually engaging it. Which is fine... Just not as streamlined as I want :)

It's worth saying that all other MIDI commands and devices are working as expected (I have several of them). I can control the Stomp's looper from a page I dedicated to its controls so I know it can be controlled by the PBC correctly. The D1 changes presets as desired... MIDI chain is PBC > Stomp > H9 > D1 ...

Appreciate the ideas :)

Attachments

• RJM PBC10 Master-Export.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
If you have an IA button that's programmed to send CC messages, check the Send on Preset Change setting - if it's turned on, the button will send its messages every time you change presets. Turning that setting off may fix the problems' you're seeing.

Thanks for the quick reply Ron!

I'm assuming you mean any IA button that's programmed to send the same CC message - correct?

I have other IA's that are sending CCs that have Send On Preset Change which are working the way I intended (they engage/bypass and change presets for different levels of verb/delay over a chosen preset).

I've gone through all the pages and double-checked I haven't added any other IA with the same CC msgs. I even created a new file and tried again from a clean set up and still have the same occurring. I can get replicate the Footswitch 2 on the PBC by creating IA button but that's kind of redundant because I could use it on the Stomp itself and means double-tapping when I want to change to a solo preset.

Does the pedal take a while to start up? Some pedals take longer than the PBC to boot up, and they miss the initial MIDI messages from the PBC.

Does the pedal take a while to start up? Some pedals take longer than the PBC to boot up, and they miss the initial MIDI messages from the PBC.

A couple of updates.

1) The CC message for engage in the Walrus online manual has the wrong number (it's 11 not 29). Secondly - you're right... It's likely that the issue is in the MIDI chain. The HX Stomp takes a good while longer to finish its boot sequence which is the first inline and doesn't pass any messages until finishing booting. As a workaround I've just added that CC msg on the first preset which I can hit again once the Stomp has loaded.

2) Do you have any more thoughts on the Stomp and engaging FS2? Getting the lead boost to work is the last piece of the PBC puzzle (well at least for the initial set up)... I've attached the settings file again if you have a chance to look at it. It looks straight forward yet it's still tripping up.

You have an "Ambient" button, and it has Send on Preset Change turned on. This button will send its messages every time you change presets. CC50 is one of those messages. You probably want to have Send on Preset Change turned off on this button, and any other IA button that sends CC50

I have a similar question. I have a preset made on HX stomp which has a few blocks. I have dedicated my first bank of PBC presets to that HX preset so that when I toggle between PBC presets.....there's no drop out in sound.

I have a delay block that I want to access when I hit my lead preset on the PBC6X.

I guess I'm a little confused in the CC. The PC is fine. I have it working to where it accesses the right preset.

I went into the HX and did a CC assign to the delay block - which is CC5. Should I not have done that? I went into the preset and added an IA action:

HX Stomp / CC Toggle #5 / off:0 on:127

When I do that, it turns the delay on on that patch. But when I go to another preset in the bank, the delay stays on. I want it to turn on only for that PBC preset.

I like the way the page / tuner combination button is. Can I set it to where I access tuner button without a hold? Or should I make the tuner a global preset so I can always access it? Thanks! I love the PBC.

Very last questions because Ron is great and always answers... I had sent an email through the website.

I use the Fn switches of the PBC to control the FS 4 and FS 5 on some presets on the HX. Is there a way for me to use the Expression output of PBC and configure it to do the same thing as the Functon swtiches Basically and on / off? I'm potentially thinking of snagging an amp interface cable to switch between my amp channels and I'd have to use the PBC Function swtiches for those. Thanks

Last edited:
I went into the HX and did a CC assign to the delay block - which is CC5. Should I not have done that? I went into the preset and added an IA action:

HX Stomp / CC Toggle #5 / off:0 on:127

When I do that, it turns the delay on on that patch. But when I go to another preset in the bank, the delay stays on. I want it to turn on only for that PBC preset.

I don't recommend using preset actions for that purpose for that reason. If you do that, you will have to add an action to every preset, telling it to turn the delay block on or off, whichever is needed for that preset.

It's better to create an IA button. It doesn't matter which page it's on, it doesn't even need to be accessible when using the PC. Create an IA button with Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change turned one. Add your CC action from your post. Then, in the presets tab, click the button (in the editor) to turn it on in those presets you want to have the delay block turned on. Every time you change presets, the IA button will automatically turn on or off as requested, sending the appropriate CC message to the HX Stomp.

One more thing: make sure that Max Page (in Global settings) is set to the highest page number you're using. Anything above that page number will be ignored.

I had answered the other question by email (at least I thought I did...) The expression pedal input can't be used for any other purpose. You're better off using MIDI to control the HX Stomp anyway.

With that said about expression jack. Is there a better way to set up the PBC to control those fs4 and fs5 via midi so I can free up that fn switch jack for amp channels?

It's better to create an IA button. It doesn't matter which page it's on, it doesn't even need to be accessible when using the PC. Create an IA button with Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change turned one. Add your CC action from your post. Then, in the presets tab, click the button (in the editor) to turn it on in those presets you want to have the delay block turned on. Every time you change presets, the IA button will automatically turn on or off as requested, sending the appropriate CC message to the HX Stomp.

One more thing: make sure that Max Page (in Global settings) is set to the highest page number you're using. Anything above that page number will be ignored.

Ron - thank you for this explanation! It's that added step in the presets tab which never clicked until I read this. The boost now works exactly like I want. Super happy mate!

With that said about expression jack. Is there a better way to set up the PBC to control those fs4 and fs5 via midi so I can free up that fn switch jack for amp channels?

You should be able to assign an IA action to a button that controls FS4 / FS5. Right click on a button in the editor, select Assign CC > HX Stomp > FS4

You should be able to assign an IA action to a button that controls FS4 / FS5. Right click on a button in the editor, select Assign CC > HX Stomp > FS4
Been revisiting the FS4 and FS5 on HX. I connected a TRS cable from RJM FN SW jack to the Exp jack of HX.

So for example, if I want to have Fn1 control FS4 and Fn2 control FS5. I went into HX, and assigned one effect to FS4 and then another to FS5. Both of them I put as momentary. When I click Fn1 it does nothing on HX. When I click Fn2, it toggles FS5 effect on and off. What did I do wrong for FS4?

It appears that you can edit CC numbers on the HX Stomp - go into the menus and make sure that FS4 is assigned to the same CC number that is assigned on the GT.

Thanks - I'll make that change and report back!
A couple of updates.

1) The CC message for engage in the Walrus online manual has the wrong number (it's 11 not 29). Secondly - you're right... It's likely that the issue is in the MIDI chain. The HX Stomp takes a good while longer to finish its boot sequence which is the first inline and doesn't pass any messages until finishing booting. As a workaround I've just added that CC msg on the first preset which I can hit again once the Stomp has loaded.

2) Do you have any more thoughts on the Stomp and engaging FS2? Getting the lead boost to work is the last piece of the PBC puzzle (well at least for the initial set up)... I've attached the settings file again if you have a chance to look at it. It looks straight forward yet it's still tripping up.
Ron - thank you for this explanation! It's that added step in the presets tab which never clicked until I read this. The boost now works exactly like I want. Super happy mate!
hey I'm having trouble getting the walrus d1 to work midi any tips on how you are using it?

I'm having the same issue with the Walrus D1. Whenever I go to a certain loop, which has the D1 to be on, it flashes on and then turns off right away. See video.
I also attached my rjs file.

Attachments

• Walrus D1 - RJM PBC6X.MOV
    14.9 MB
  • RJM Set Up - Apr 2021.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
I'm having the same issue with the Walrus D1. Whenever I go to a certain loop, which has the D1 to be on, it flashes on and then turns off right away. See video.
I also attached my rjs file.
Ok, so I noticed I didn't have my Golden Boy setting under devices set to "Send redundant PCs" on and that fixed that issue. But now in order to use the Golden Boy, I have to have on the Mako D1. If I turn it off, the Golden Boy is really low to almost off. Can someone help, please? I'm thinking of switching back to my Timeline now. The D1 is just way too complicated unless I'm missing something.

You have the Mako and Golden Boy both set to the same MIDI channel (1). Switch one of them to an unused MIDI channel, and it probably will fix the problem you're seeing.

Oh yes, I did notice that as well and the Golden Boy is set to midi channel 4 now.

Attachments

• RJM Set Up - Apr 2021.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Back