Pedal Polarity Probs

middle_pickup

Does anyone know of a device with either midi, or function switch control that will let me selectively invert the polarity of a signal? The only one I have seen is the Mesa Boogie A/B/Y switcher, which is like $300. It's too expensive, and too large for my rig.

I'm looking for this because I'm going to route an alternate mono signal path of distortion pedals only through the right signal path of my PBC10. I have a bunch of mono pedals in the mono loops of the PBC10 already, and those pedals will be sent only through the left channel of the PBC10. Depending on the combination of pedals in the left chain I expect to encounter a polarity mismatch with the other signal path. I want to be able to test every combination of pedals I will plan to use with a signal generator, and correct polarity mismatches with this new device I'm hoping exists outside of some sort of custom build.

Hang on. I just read the PBC manual says I can invert the phase of the B output on a per preset basis! This might be exactly what I need.

My question is will it matter where in the signal path the polarity inversion happens? If the left and right signals being sent into my stereo effects (loops 7-10) are polarity inverted will that have an effect of the tone of the wet signal they produce? Should I polarity match the signals before sending them to the stereo effects?

Last edited:
If your stereo effects mix any signal from the left side to the right, and vice-versa, you're going to have a problem with a phase mismatch earlier in the signal path. Better to fix the phase problem right where it happens.

And unfortunately, I don't know of anything that just simply flips the phase of the signal and does nothing else. It's a very simple circuit, but it probably doesn't exist as a product because there isn't enough of a market for it.

If your stereo effects mix any signal from the left side to the right, and vice-versa, you're going to have a problem with a phase mismatch earlier in the signal path. Better to fix the phase problem right where it happens.

And unfortunately, I don't know of anything that just simply flips the phase of the signal and does nothing else. It's a very simple circuit, but it probably doesn't exist as a product because there isn't enough of a market for it.
Cool. At least I'm learning what I need to make this happen. Thanks, @rjmmusic!

Back