Pedals with remote switching/MIDI

You'll have to ask Chase Bliss about that - I wouldn't try it without consulting them.

The Midibox has a midi thru. I'm currently running 5 cba pedals and and empress reverb on my board...

A lot of people online have had issues with the midi to trs cables, I highly recommend the empress or cba midi box, it's a small investment,

The Midibox has a midi thru. I'm currently running 5 cba pedals and and empress reverb on my board...

A lot of people online have had issues with the midi to trs cables, I highly recommend the empress or cba midi box, it's a small investment,

I'm a tester for cba and have been using the brothers for a couple months now so feel free to ask me any question you may have regarding the cba stuff.

@Rob Leishman I just picked up a Tonal Recall from Joel, and have the CBA midi box on the way (should be here tomorrow). It will be next week before I can get it wired up proper, but I'm not sure I understand how to save presets via midi on the Tonal Recall? Can you explain it?

Thanks!

@Rob Leishman I just picked up a Tonal Recall from Joel, and have the CBA midi box on the way (should be here tomorrow). It will be next week before I can get it wired up proper, but I'm not sure I understand how to save presets via midi on the Tonal Recall? Can you explain it?

Thanks!

All the cba pedals save a preset by the following procedure.

1) send the PCs message of the slot ou want to edit (let's say we use 20)
2) edit the preset to your liking
3) hold down both buttons ( bypass and tap on the tonal recall) and resend the Pc message at the same time (20 in this example)

There are a few things to take in to account with the rjm stuff...
On the device page for the tonal recall resend redundant PCs should be on.
On the global page preset 2nd press should be set to resend.

That's how I have it set up to save, that way I just press the current preset button to send the correct pc message that I want to save. I sure there are other ways to set this up but I'm not aware of them. The only downside to my system is that any time a pc message is resent to a cba pedal it will reload the preset...

I highly recommend joining the chase bliss users group on Facebook. Paul Uhl, Joel, myself, and others are pretty quick to help out with questions there.

Last edited:
So sad, I was rejected by the group, maybe 'cause I am a new facebook user(in fact I registered my account for some groups). :(

BUT the mastermind pbc group approved me instantly!

Last edited:
A pedal that I believe is underrated is the Nova Drive by TC. It is an anolog OD and Distortion pedal with complete midi control.. I have had one on the board for years and could not live without it. It plays very nicely with PBC. I use the expression pedal to control gain levels on the fly....very handy
I love my TC Nova Drive, but find that it is difficult to get unity gain in many settings. As a result, the drive sounds are always louder than the clean sounds. I've resorted to using e.g. a compressor to boost the level when using a clean tone. Have you had this problem?

Not an effects pedal per se, but I just ordered one of these to be able to use a couple of my regular pedals outside of the PBC's loops but still being controlled by it:

http://championpedals.com/tapdance.html

It's a 2 true bypass loop switcher that you remotely activate via a TRS or TS jack, either each loop individually or toggle between them. This way I will have one of the PBC's switches to change channels on my amp, and the other one to activate pedals using this gadget.

A pedal like the Superbolt connects directly to one of the function switch outputs on the PBC. JHS pedals don't accept MIDI, Chase Bliss pedals do, but you need their adapter box.

Sorry for my ignorance, but how would the PBC tell the Superbolt V2 how to switch from Gain 1 to Gain 2? Is it just by running another loop into the Gain Jack and then telling that preset to turn on that specific loop which would in turn access the second gain option?

Sorry for my ignorance, but how would the PBC tell the Superbolt V2 how to switch from Gain 1 to Gain 2? Is it just by running another loop into the Gain Jack and then telling that preset to turn on that specific loop which would in turn access the second gain option?

You would use one of the function switch jacks on the PBC. There are 4 function switches that are intended for things like this, and you can program any of them to be on for each preset.

You would use one of the function switch jacks on the PBC. There are 4 function switches that are intended for things like this, and you can program any of them to be on for each preset.

Thanks for the insight. I don't have the V2 yet, just the V1... Hopefully will switch over here in a week or two and was trying to prepare :)

Thanks for the insight. I don't have the V2 yet, just the V1... Hopefully will switch over here in a week or two and was trying to prepare :)

I do this with the JHS Morning Glory V4 (it also has the jack to toggle gain stages) and it works like a dream.

I do this with the JHS Morning Glory V4 (it also has the jack to toggle gain stages) and it works like a dream.

Awesome! Do you mind taking a screenshot of your settings to activate this? I'm away from the software all week, so I won't be able to poke around.

Awesome! Do you mind taking a screenshot of your settings to activate this? I'm away from the software all week, so I won't be able to poke around.

It is done per preset. When you are on the preset menu for the particular preset you want to edit, on the button tab in the middle of the screen, go to the page where you have the function switches (that could be different from what I have below depending on how you have your pages setup) and click the button that turns on the function switch you have the pedal wired to (for me it's FN1). As you can see in the screen shot, I renamed that button on the bottom left "MG Gain Boost".

It's as simple as that. Now when I go to that preset, FN1 will come on, which for me toggles the Morning Glory to the higher gain setting. (Sounds glorious on that setting by the way!!). Hope that helps some...

upload_2017-11-10_8-22-36.png

You're the man! Have yet to look at the editor, but feel pretty good about this. Should know here shortly!

Just connected and went through what you had pictured... BOOM! It works like a charm. Thanks a bunch!

Last edited:
Hi everyone new here and ordering my mastermind pbc this week.im new to midi control I have a bogner blue pedal and would like to be able to add the boost in presets.do you run a trs from a function switch to the remote on the pedal?I will be doing a new board and will be adding a strymon mobious and timeline so I'm sure I will be having many more questions!!Thank you for adding me!

Hi everyone new here and ordering my mastermind pbc this week.im new to midi control I have a bogner blue pedal and would like to be able to add the boost in presets.do you run a trs from a function switch to the remote on the pedal?I will be doing a new board and will be adding a strymon mobious and timeline so I'm sure I will be having many more questions!!Thank you for adding me!

Yes, TRS cable from a PBC function switch output to the Bogner pedal input will do it. Set the function switch settings to momentary on the PBC.

Back