Please recommend plug and cable for making TRS patch cables

eastern

Hi all! I'm making a new pedalboard with PBC/6X and would like to solder some TRS patch cables for routing Expression pedal and function switchers. Which lower profile plugs and cables that you would recommend to me?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Additionally, Squareplugs now has a right angle TRS:
https://btpa.com/sp550-s.html

Best-tronics sells TRS versions of their "stubby" straight plugs (I know because I'm using them), but I don't see them on their site, you'd have to contact them for those.

I found the BTPA part numbers for the TRS stubby plugs:

1/4" TRS stubby, small cable opening: MC-3641M
1/4" TRS stubby, large cable opening: MC-3641

They're still not listed on their site, but if you contact them directly, you should be able to order them.

So, having just watched a pedal board build, I am pondering dumping my george Ls and going to soldered cables, but, do this square ones fit the spacing on the back of a PBC/6X?

https://www.redco.com/Squareplug-SP400-Low-Profile-Flat-TS.html

Yes they do, though you need to raise up the PBC about .25-.5" in the back to give a bit to give the cable room to turn out and away from the PBC. I personally use double strips of normal profile dual lock to give me the height I need.

What cable do you recommend using for the TRS Squareplug SP550-S? I used Mogami w2528 dual cable wire before with larger plugs, but it won't fit the tiny Squareplug opening. I want to use the Squareplug TRS plug for my stereo loops on my PBC10.

I have my first batch of SP550-S on the way as we speak. I think I'm going to try using star quad cable - I'm only going to be using it for TRS MIDI connections, so it should be fine. There might be too much crosstalk between wires to use for stereo audio, though. I recommend asking Karim at Squareplug or the guys at Best-tronics. They would have suggestions. When I get the connectors in, I'll play around with all the cable I have here and see if I have any other ones that would work.

I have my first batch of SP550-S on the way as we speak. I think I'm going to try using star quad cable - I'm only going to be using it for TRS MIDI connections, so it should be fine. There might be too much crosstalk between wires to use for stereo audio, though. I recommend asking Karim at Squareplug or the guys at Best-tronics. They would have suggestions. When I get the connectors in, I'll play around with all the cable I have here and see if I have any other ones that would work.

Thank you for your reply. This is such a niche use case that I was wondering if I would find any relevant info. I would consider your input on the matter definitive gold, Ron. Thank you for any help you can offer! I definitely want to minimize crosstalk, but I would like to be able to use the TRS squareplugs.

Mogami 2528 does work with Squareplug SP550-S plugs, though it's a very tight fit. I used the combo on my personal board with excellent results and zero issues thus far.

RD1kdy0.jpg

Mogami 2528 does work with Squareplug SP550-S plugs, though it's a very tight fit. I used the combo on my personal board with excellent results and zero issues thus far.

Whoa! That's such great news! Thank you for the info. Did you manage to squeeze the rubber insulation of both channels of wire into the clamp section of the squareplug? I would love to see a pic of one of these plugs opened up if you have time.

Won't have time to pull things apart to get a picture, but I did get the insulation in! It's pretty easy once everything is soldered in and held in place.

Whoa! That's such great news! Thank you for the info. Did you manage to squeeze the rubber insulation of both channels of wire into the clamp section of the squareplug? I would love to see a pic of one of these plugs opened up if you have time.

So I just completed a pedalboard build with the PBC/6X and Square Plugs SP400s for mono and SP550-S for stereo. I bought Mogami 2528 per PianoMan's suggestion but I personally couldn't fit the whole cables in there. However, with a little effort I made it work. See my pics for details.

SP550-S-Mogami-2528.png

IMG_0636.jpeg

Yeah, they aren't easy to fit in there, but I promise it can be done! You can't do it with heat-shrink on the TRS end though.

Yeah, they aren't easy to fit in there, but I promise it can be done! You can't do it with heat-shrink on the TRS end though.

Yeah...yours look better than mine haha. I just didn't really spend much time trying, figured may be more effort than just stripping them back. But now people can see both options.

There is also the SPS7-S Square Plug straight connector specifically designed for Y-insert cables. What makes them unique is that the cable entry is elongated so that you can insert two cables side by side.

kmmk-squareplug-sps7s-end-view.jpg

Back