POG2 MIDI suddenly not behaving

kiesshauer

Hey guys —

So my MIDI-modded POG2 has never given me any issues until recently; all my buttons that control it (a set of IA cycle buttons which are used to set each preset) still control the unit as intended, with no changes to either those buttons, the device settings, or the MIDI channel (1). I'm wondering if maybe a recent firmware update somehow impacted the device?

Here's what happens:

Say I have a preset that is calling up PC5 on the POG2. Sometimes the POG2 will change to PC5 like it should in that preset, and other times it seems to get 'stuck' on PC1 instead. I can't explain it.

Any ideas what might cause such on/off behavior, Ron?

Thanks in advance!

Look at your IA buttons that control the device. You probably have Send on Preset Change turned on for one or more of them. Any button with Send on Preset Change turned on will send its messages on every preset change, and that would override any PC message you have set in the preset.

I actually thought I had to have 'send on preset changed' selected because I use these IA cycle buttons to program presets — it's actually the only thing telling the POG2 what to do. Am I wrong about that?

Yes, if that's the only source of PCs, then you're correct, Send on Preset Change needs to be on.

The next thing to look for is make sure that all of the buttons that send PCs to the POG2 are grouped together, and that group has Send Off Msgs turned off. Otherwise, you can have two buttons trying to send PCs to the POG at the same time.

Good on that front too — the group for those buttons allows all messages off, but does not have 'send off messages' checked...

The whole thing does work most of the time, it's just lately something has it just randomly not working sometimes. It's really weird.

How do you work around it when the issue happens? Does it eventually accept a PC message and change presets, or do you have to power cycle the POG?

I’ve noticed on mine that occasionally it will get stuck in a weird state where it won’t change presets at all, I think because I accidentally hit the white push knob on it. If you ever potentially bump anything on the POG, that could be the same issue.

Sometimes if I power cycle or if I cycle through presets on the POG (with either the footswitch or another IA button I have), it will sort of "wake the POG back up" to accepting PC messages again, but it doesn't behave predictably. And no, it'll still happen even if I don't touch anything on the unit — it's in the top left corner of the board so it's pretty difficult to touch it by accident at all, haha.

Who installed the mod? Is it possible there’s a poor connection on the circuit board? I did mine myself, and let’s just say I got lucky it works as well as it does

Haha — yeah, I installed mine myself too. But it's been years of working fine now, so I doubt it's a bad connection all of a sudden!

Back