Preset Menu Problems

A_Rhodes

Ron, I've been having issues with the Preset Menu in my settings. After a while, mine seems to suddenly limit itself to one Bank of presets. The menu shows all my presets but when I choose one that doesn't fit into the Bank of 128 that it has randomly chosen (1-128;129-256, etc.) it just goes to the correlating preset in that bank. In other words, if it has chosen the first Bank of presets and I choose preset 130 it goes to preset 2. I have reset my Axe-Fx III as well as my Mastermind GT several times and eventually it will start having this problem again. I have both the Axe-Fx III Mach 1 and 2 and have the same problem with both. When I cycle power on the Mastermind GT, it behaves normally for a little while. (Maybe an hour or 2?) I have made a couple of short clips to show this behaviour. Hopefully you (or someone else, if they know) can help me figure this out. I am on the latest firmware on the Mastermind GT as well as the Axe-Fx III. I have followed the checklist of what should be on or off in both units and I have tested this with Axe-Edit running and not running. I have tested it with the USB cable connected and disconnected to the GT. Comes back no matter what I do.

Attachments

• Problem Child 12 01 20.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
I'll look into this, but this looks like something that's going to take a while to track down.

@rjmmusic Ron, I've still been trying to isolate this issue to no avail. I'm now uncertain that it's associated with the Preset Menu because it has done it without assigning that function to any buttons. I thought it was linked to assigning the Multiplexer in the Axe-Fx III to a button but, that proved not to be the case as well. It seems to be hit and miss. I've been leaving the Mastermind GT and the Axe-Fx III powered up for several days and intermittently adding or subtracting a single parameter at a time and then testing the buttons for a few days. Sometimes it goes a couple of days without an issue and other times it may pop up in a few hours. Not sure how to chase this much farther unless you have any tips.

This is the worst kind of stuff to try to track down. I'm going to have to set up a system for debugging and let it run for a long time, it seems.

I really appreciate your help Ron. If there's anything you want me ro try on my side, just let me know. I don't have your knowledge but, I'm willing to try whatever is needed to get to a solution.

Preset Mapping turned accidentally on the Axe-Fx?
Do you also also use Song Mode on the GT?
Does it happen after you've switched presets on the Axe-Fx itself instead on the GT?

Last edited:
Preset Mapping turned accidentally on the Axe-Fx?
Do you also also use Song Mode on the GT?
Does it happen after you've switched presets on the Axe-Fx itself instead on the GT?
@Alexander I do not think I have Preset Mapping turned on on the Axe-Fx. I'm not positive where to check to verify?
I do not use Song Mode on the GT.
It has happened when using the GT exclusively. Odd thing is, when it does get into this "cycle" I can still go to whatever presets I choose through the front panel or through Axe-Edit...until it loses Bi-Directional MIDI. This seems to happen randomly as well. Not sure if it's part of the same issue or a different one altogether.

At the moment, I have disconnected the RJM Phantom Power Adapter Box and have 2 5 Pin MIDI cables instead of the single 7 Pin I have been using for years just to see if this might be a cable or hardware issue.

Thanks for your questions and tips. I appreciate any help I can get!

It happens to me too, occasionally. Not sure how / when. But I think it happens after I've selected presets on the front panel instead of the GT. This messes up the syncing somehow.

It's not limited to the Preset Menu. I have a (hold) button assigned to System:preset:preset #384, and when things get confused that button doesn't work anymore either and is fixed on preset 128.

I don't think it's related to bidirectional MIDI. I think that the GT gets "confused" and somehow doesn't process Bank Type messages anymore as it should.

I'm using 6-pin XLR, but I don't think that matters.

BTW, Preset Mapping is found here: Setup > MIDI/Remote > PC Mapping.

Thanks Alexander! I Checked the Preset Mapping and it is off. FWIW, I haven't had any issues since I switched to the configuration I mentioned in my last post. Since this issue is so intermittent, and has happened to you as well, I'm not rushing to say it's solved. I will continue trying to see if I can find what may be causing this as best I can.

Thanks for chiming in! It helps knowing that it's not just my system or configuration that is having these intermittent issues.

Please let me know if you find it on your end as well.

@rjmmusic

Ron, I'm fairly certain where this problem is coming from now. It only occurs whenever I am merging MIDI into a single 7-PIN MIDI cable. I have tried two separate RJM Power Adapter Boxes (One has never been used until I began troubleshooting this problem), I have ordered a brand new 7-PIN MIDI cable and I have replaced the MIDI IN and OUT cables between the AXE-FX III and the Phantom Power Adapter Box. Without fail the problem came back within a few hours.

On the other hand, with 2 separate MIDI IN and OUT cables attached to the Mastermind, it ran 10 straight days without an issue.

Now that I know what the problem is, I wonder if it's a bug of some sort or a connection problem inside the Mastermind. If need be, I'm content to continue running on 2 separate MIDI cables but, if it's a problem that can be corrected I would prefer correcting it.

Very interesting! Great detective work there. That does sound like a bug, but I can't imagine why it would do that. It shouldn't treat one MIDI port different than the other.

But, this gives me something to go on. I typically test with a two MIDI cable setup because it's easier to monitor MIDI data back and forth, but I can set it up for a single connection and see what happens.

Hey Ron,

I would be interested if you could post here if you do find a fix as I, too, am having a problem with Preset Menu but slightly different (so it could be my error in programming).

For exanple, I am on Reset 1, then go to Page 2 and select Preset Menu. I select Preset 3, the Axe FX II goes to Preset 3, the GT22 goes back to Page 1 BUT Preset 1 is lit up (as if it was selected) instead of Preset 3 (which is active).

I tried the same process but put the Preset Menu on Page 1 (so there would be no page change after selecting a different Preset) and it worked perfectly.

Also, if I am on Preset 6 and switch to Page 2, if I now select Preset 5 directly with the front panel knob on the Axe Fx III the GT22 goes back to Page 1 and Preset 1 is lit up instead of Preset 5 BUT if I stay on Page 1 and turn the Axe Fx knob between Presets the GT2 works properly.

Is there a reason the GT22 always lights up Preset 1 when you leave Page 1 or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Hey Ron,

I would be interested if you could post here if you do find a fix as I, too, am having a problem with Preset Menu but slightly different (so it could be my error in programming).

For exanple, I am on Reset 1, then go to Page 2 and select Preset Menu. I select Preset 3, the Axe FX II goes to Preset 3, the GT22 goes back to Page 1 BUT Preset 1 is lit up (as if it was selected) instead of Preset 3 (which is active).

I tried the same process but put the Preset Menu on Page 1 (so there would be no page change after selecting a different Preset) and it worked perfectly.

Also, if I am on Preset 6 and switch to Page 2, if I now select Preset 5 directly with the front panel knob on the Axe Fx III the GT22 goes back to Page 1 and Preset 1 is lit up instead of Preset 5 BUT if I stay on Page 1 and turn the Axe Fx knob between Presets the GT2 works properly.

Is there a reason the GT22 always lights up Preset 1 when you leave Page 1 or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help.
This issue will be fixed in 4.6, which should be out in the next couple of days.

I still can't reporduce the original problem in this thread, I've tried with both 1 cable and 2 cable connections.

I still have never seen the bank-out-of-sync problem, but I did see something that might cause it. A PC on:prev action sends the previous PC, not the previously sent bank. So, when working with a device that has more than one bank, you probably shouldn't use "Prev" with PC actions.

No idea if this is relevant to anyone, but maybe it is. There may be other things like this that turn up that may explain the problem as well.

I still have never seen the bank-out-of-sync problem, but I did see something that might cause it. A PC on:prev action sends the previous PC, not the previously sent bank. So, when working with a device that has more than one bank, you probably shouldn't use "Prev" with PC actions.

No idea if this is relevant to anyone, but maybe it is. There may be other things like this that turn up that may explain the problem as well.
Thanks for that info Ron. I am away from my equipment on vacation at the moment but, I will check this out when I return and let you know what I find.

Wow, these emojis are getting annoying!

Anyway, this is referring to an IA button (or anything) with a PC / off:None on:p r e v - stuff like that

Back