Question About Groups

Neill00

I’ve tried to get this to work but it appears that you can’t use the group function with a momentary switch. I’m wondering if it’s because “groups” waits for the release of the footswitch remaining in the “on” state before it turns off any other switch in the group. Maybe there is a setting that I can’t find that would activate the group function up simply depressing the footswitch?

Groups don't really make sense with momentary switches. As soon as you release a momentary switch, it turns off, so grouping it with other momentary switches doesn't really do anything. No switch would ever be on for any length of time, so a group isn't necessary.

What were you trying to set up? Maybe there's another way to accomplish it.

Hey Ron, thanks for the quick reply. I have a voicelive rack for my vocals and axe fx 3 for guitar. For many songs I just need vocal harmonies for short bursts so it makes more sense to put that switch in momentary mode. So far there is only one song that this has come up but it happens a few times in this song. There are short solos between verses and coming out of those solos is a harmony on the vocals. So I wanted to activate the solo and be able to turn it off with the momentary harmony button because there isn’t time to hit the solo button first and then get to the harmony button in time.

You could add a System / Set IA action to the momentary button, which would then turn off the solo button. That should do it, I think.

I am definitely going to explore that idea. Thanks for the guidance. This is something that is definitely beyond my knowledge base.

In short:

On the solo button, set IA ID to 1

On the momentary button, add this action: System / Set IA ID:1 off:None on:0

This will force any button with IA ID of 1 to turn off

To go a little further into this solution. I followed the instructions and it worked but I didn’t really understand why. I had read the manual but this device is so deep that you can’t possibly retain it or understand it all right away. This solution made me go have another look, I do now understand this solution and learned some other things that I think will be useful. I’ll do some experimenting to see if these things work as I think they do. Lesson learned, it’s not just a case of read the manual, it’s read the manual, work with the MMGT, then read the manual again and so on.

Back