Questions about RJM and Voodoo Labs functionality.

DRC

I'm some what of a Midiot so excuse me if this is much more simple than I'm making it. If anyone has used Voodoo Labs products with a Mastermind please chime in.

I am using an Effects Gizmo in my rack with a Mini Amp Gizmo. Because I need to keep some pedals out in front and there is not an RJM product for the floor I am going to go with a pair of Voodoo Labs Pedal Switchers (as opposed to the Rocktron Patchmate 8 Floor that I haven't heard one good word about). I will also need to add a Voodoo Labs Control Switcher to my rack because all of my isolated jacks are taken up on the Gizmo. So it looks like my MIDI chain is going to look like this:

Mastermind > Voodoo Pedal Switcher #1 > Voodoo Pedal Switcher #2 >
Rjm Effects Gizmo > Rjm Amp Gizmo > Voodoo Control Switcher.

Question #1: It looks like the Voodoo Labs piece will be able to write in a similar way to my RJM stuff by accessing the buttons or footswitches. BUT, I see they have no "WRITE" button so I'm not quite sure how that will integrate with the RJM pieces I have.

Question #2: I am also worried about having 5 MIDI devices chained after the Mastermind. Will this end up a nightmare in dropped MIDI info?

You can control all of that from a single Mastermind. The two Pedal Switchers together will work like a GCX. You'll need to control them with control change messages, which takes a little extra programming, but will get the job done. The Control Switcher can be programmed in the "Write button" style like the Amp Gizmo. (It doesn't actually have a Write button, but pressing 1 and 4 performs the same function.)

5 devices in a MIDI chain is about the point where people start recommending a MIDI thru box. You might see some problems without it, but your system might also work fine - it's hard to say without trying it. The MIDI thru boxes by MIDI Solutions work pretty well and don't even need external power.

Thanks for the info Ron. I have one more question that you may or may not have an answer for. Do you think a Rocktron Patchmate Loop 8 Floor might integrate better than the Voodoo Labs stuff? Easier to program? Better sonics? Boy do I wish you had a floor unit so I could stay all RJM with my switching rig.

Attachments

• PBC_1.8.rjs
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
Unfortunately, I haven't used the Patchmate Floor or the Voodoo Labs pedal switcher. But, from what I've read, the Patchmate floor responds to program change messages, which will make it work a lot easier with most MIDI controllers (including the Mastermind). You wouldn't need to program a bunch of CC messages like you would with the Voodoo stuff.

Can't comment on the audio quality of either, unfortunately.

I still want to do a floor-based switcher, but it has been postponed.

Back