Quick Mini Effect Gizmo/GT question

matt-phaeleh

This is another one of those questions which will have most of you hitting your head against a brick wall, so please excuse me if it seems obvious.

I'm using my GT16 to control 2 pedal boards, Ableton Live, MaxMSP and RME Totalmix software.

I had it working very nicely with the mini effect gizmo on each pedal board. Whereby for 90% of the time, i'm using IA buttons to send a combination of macro instructions, as well as program changes and specific CC messages to the pedals, it also lets the software know what i'm upto so that I can get visual feedback on screen and on my other midi controllers so they all play nicely together.

These buttons are just using program changes for the mini effects gizmo.

I was also using a 'pedal' page on my GT, where it's sending CC messages to the mini effect gizmo, so I have control over the individual pedals.

This was working fine, I could press an IA button to get a nice clean, chorus delay or something (via program change), then go to the pedal page and turn on the distortion via CC messages, keeping all the other effects on too. I'd then hit the next IA button with settings for the pedal board, it would go to those settings, and also turn the distortion off too.

After some recent tinkering this has stopped working. I know it's going to do with the Update on preset change, and Send on preset change tick boxes. I was just wondering if some one could quickly clarify which of these should be turned on. For the IA buttons doing program changes to the gizmo, and the IA buttons doing individual CC.

Also, is there any advice with the use of groups in this scenario. At the moment all the guitar buttons share a group so only 1 IA (using program changes for the gizmo) can be on at once.

IA link isn't really suitable for my setup, as a lot of the IA buttons are controlling 8 or 9 different CC messages/program changes.

I'm sure this will be obvious to everyone using a kemper or axe fx, so apologies to anyone shaking their head right now, but no matter how many times I see Ron demonstrating the patience of a saint and explaining it for the 700th time, i'm still never quite sure what i'm upto with these settings.

Thanks in advance! :)

Send and Update on preset change are set based on whether you want to be able to store and recall the on/off state of an IA button. If you want a button to change (and send its messages) when you change presets, then turn both checkboxes on. If you want the button to do something only when it's actually pressed, turn both checkboxes off.

Thanks for the reply Ron.

Just to clarify a bit further,let’s say for example I use program change from the GT to go to program 3 on the mini effects gizmo, then change the state of an individual pedal via cc.

If I was to then use program change to go to a different program or the original one again, should it then turn the pedal off I’ve previously switched on with CC?

It should do that for sure - assuming that the state of the IA button that controls the pedal is programmed to turn off in the preset you're switching to.

Thanks Ron, I'll have a play and see how it goes. I'm not using IA store at all, so I'm guessing everything should be off on the presets on the GT, though saying that certain presets load with buttons turned on, and others with them off. They have identical settings so not sure how I've managed it, but hopefully I"ll get this sorted fairly easily!

Back