Rack Gizmo with VL GCP

emayhew

Hello,

Sorry if this question has already been answered, I tried looking through all the threads on this forum. I currently have a Rack Gizmo in my rig that has a Bogner XTC 101b with the Medusa cable from RJM. My setup is fairly basic, I'm using the function switches on the Rack Gizmo to control all the functions on the XTC which is working perfectly. I am using a Eventide H9, and a bunch of pedals in the first 5 loops as well. I have been using an old ADA MC-1 foot controller to just make patch changes and the RG is handling switching all the Bogner functions and effects in the loops of the RG with one press of a button. I want to take advantage of IA functionality and EXP pedals and have a VL GCP coming in the mail this week with hopes to take advantage of more options with this foot controller.

So I have two questions:

1. How do I setup the GCP with the Rack Gizmo? Do I follow the steps in the video for pairing a Effect Gizmo with a VL GCP? I guess I'm wondering if there's a difference since the RG has 8 function switches and 8 loops, so does the setup change compared to the EG? Also in the video for the Effect Gizmo with a GCP, you show how to configure them with performing a factory initialization of both of them. I'm assuming if I need to do that on the RG I'm loosing everything I configured and have to start over? Not a big deal, just curious.
2. I want to power the GCP from the RG using a 7 DIN MIDI cable. Will this work and does it matter which MIDI IN jack I use (front panel vs rear panel)?

Sorry, many more hidden questions in there than just 2. Hope it makes sense. If there's something I can reference (video or instructions) that's already been put together, please feel free to pass along any info.

I appreciate any help!!

Thanks, Eric

Follow the Effect Gizmo instructions, although the setup mode will be a bit different. When in setup, turn on Function Switches 5 and 6 to enable GCX emulation. Everything else should be turned off.

When programming the GCPro, GCX#1 loops 1-8 are audio loops and GCX#2 loops 1-8 are function switches 1-8

I do recommend factory resetting both before starting. Any presets programmed in the Rack Gizmo won't be used with a GRPro anyway (all presets will be programmed in the GCPro)

You can phantom power a GCPro from a Rack Gizmo, just be sure to use a 7-pn cable (or 6-pin XLR to 7 pin if you're plugging into the front panel).

This is working perfectly!! Thank you very much for the help. I got the GCP to control the 8 function and 8 audio loops on the Rack Gizmo independently and have been creating patch presets for the last two days with no issues.

Just waiting for the 7 DIN MIDI cable which is on back order now. Then I'll be able to power the GCP from the RG.

Thank you again. Your customer support is unreal. Second to none!!

Eric

Hello ,
I have recently added a GCX to my rack gear. Everything has been working perfectly with the setup you helped me with above. I needed to add a few more pedals in front of the amp which is why I added the GCX. I’m having an issue now where the GCX seems to be cloning or acting as if its GCX #1 on my GCP. So if I have a loop turned on for the RG the GCX also has the same loop on. I have it configured so GCX 1 controls the audio loops on the RG, GCX 2 controls the amp functions on the RG, and GCX 3 controls the actual GCX. I have the RG set to default MIDI channel 1. I don’t think you can assign a MIDI channel for the actual GCX. Do I have to change the RG to respond to a different MIDI channel or is the something in the programming that I need to change? This may be more of a VL question but I ask you because you always have the right answer.

So I just heard from the folks at VL and they suggested reprogramming the RG to GCX 2 and 3 and use GCX 1 for the GCX hardware. Can I tell the RG to use GCX 2&3?

Yes, you can. The Rack Gizmo manual is attached, there's information about GCX emulation in the Setup Mode section.

Attachments

• RG Manual.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Awesome thanks. So if I put it again in GCX emulation mode by turning on function 5&6 and then function switch 3 to activate GCX #2 to control the audio loops on the RG? What function switch needs to be on to control GCX #3 for the function switches on the RG?

In setup mode, turn on function switches 5 and 6 to enable GCX compatibility for both the audio loops and function switches. Then set function switch 1 on and function switch 2 off. This sets the audio loops to GCX2. Set function switch 3 off and function switch 4 on. This sets function switches to GCX3. Press Write to save the changes.

Back