RJM and TC1128 Programmable EQ

neilvg

I have an old and super excellent TC1128 programmable EQ. I can send CC messages and alter EQ settings. however saving presets and using PC's should be the way to go. However when I hit any preset button and try to either use the PC change on the preset boxes checkbox selector for the device under presets, or if I manually try to create a PC action, it just stays at preset 1. I can momentarily see it go to the desired preset only to go back to 1 again. I can't figure out what to do. No matter what, it goes back to 1. I have had this issue before, but solved it with other devices.

And ideas?

It sounds like you have IA button(s) on the Mastermind that send PCs to the TC EQ and have Send on Preset Change turned on. Every button on every page that has Send on Preset Change turned on will send its messages every time you change presets. You probably have one or more buttons that are sending PCs, overriding whatever PCs your presets are sending.

I have other PC changes occurring in exactly the same way with other pedals fine. It's just the 1128. I tried turning off PC on preset changes and pretty much turning everything off, no avail. i may try turning off every buttons sending pc on preset change off...

but dont we need this on?

Also - no other IA buttons are sending to the TC. just on 1 preset. hmmm
maybe i will try to create a button that just changes TC preset and nothing else and see.

All I can say is that, if it's switching to the correct preset, then immediately switching back, it's definitely sending at least 2 PCs. You just have to find where they're coming from.

The other interesting thing is if i go to say preset 2 in the TC and only send CC changes with the preset button i was sending PC changes to before. It doesnt automatically switch to 1 on the TC. It correctly transmits the CC and that is all. There are other issues which i can write another post about concerning CC w the TC but wouldnt this mean that no other presets buttons are sending anything?

if i try yo do a PC change again though, same behavior as previously stated.

Yah I don't know what it could be. I tried the same thing with another midi device, tried everything I know. The Free the Tone Programmable EQ for instance. Works fine. The TC does the same thing - stuck at 1, after an attempt a different preset, it jumps back. So odd.

Yah I don't know what it could be. I tried the same thing with another midi device, tried everything I know. The Free the Tone Programmable EQ for instance. Works fine. The TC does the same thing - stuck at 1, after an attempt a different preset, it jumps back. So odd.
It could be a firmware bug in the TC, or its MIDI interface is starting to go bad.

Ok, so here is another solution, but it's way more a PITA.

CC changes work fine. 0-27 control each of the 28 bands of the EQ. With experimentation I have found values that give me from -12 to +12 db of gain per channel. So I can draw in my curve with CC actions.

Here are the issues:
- There are only 20 actions allowed from the IA actions button area
- There are only 10 actions allowed from the preset action area

I need 28.

More issues:
The EQ is iterative. So if I draw a curve even with the limited actions allowed, I have to somehow clear the curve. One hackey way to do this is to call a program change that always resets my unit to PC1. I can just keep PC1 blank and presto, an easy curve reset. Then I draw another.

However.. what are SCENES? I can't find this talked about in the PBC10 manual doing a search. Would scenes somehow allow me to get beyond 10 actions in the Preset Actions area?

The preset actions area is the only area that seems to really work well upon changing presets. If I try to use the IA actions button area to call a CC action, for some reason, if I de-select 'Send on Preset Change' - nothing happens on the TC. If I select 'Send on Preset Change' then every time I change presets it will draw that curve.. which I obviously want to avoid. I must be doing something wrong?

Also lastly, with regards to CC, on the Preset Action Area, there is only a CC ON value, whereas in the IA Button Action area, there is an on and off value... I usually keep the CC value numbers the same for on and off... not sure if this is pertinent here.

OK!! I think I might have figured it out. Tell me if I'm barking up the right tree.
SO... I can USE MACROS! A macro allows 32 actions. Since I mainly want 2 or 3 curves, I can make 2 or 3 macros and then call those macros when hitting a given preset button. The macro can have a PC curve Reset Call (just call a PC change which will go to Preset 1 which I will leave blank), and then up to 28 bands of CC calls to draw my curve.

Correct?

I know I'm likely talking to myself at this point ;) But I got it to work.

I use Macros and CC commands and was able to draw in and reset curves. And the benefit is this is actually faster and more controllable than PC messages. So I am good! And I learned something new about the way the RJM functions. Always impressive.

Yes, well, I never got the PC commands to work. But CC's do. So yah. Definitely an issue with the unit most likely - but I think in the long run the workaround is actually better.

Back