RJM mini line mixer use with PBC 6X

Pieutr

Hello,

If i want to run my wet effects in parallel in the FX loop of my amp, do I need to put them all after the PBC like :
PBC out -> preamp -> FX send -> splitter -> wet FX -> Mini line mixer -> FX return

Or can I incorporate them into the PBC loops, and if yes, do i also need a splitter, and what would be the setup for it please ?

If i need a splitter anyways, would you have one to recommend ? I need to run 3 effects in parallel

Thanks.

You can use the PBC's loops as splitters - just connect the loop send to the pedal input, pedal output to line mixer input.

A couple of things you need to know:
- Nothing should be plugged into the loop returns. If nothing is plugged into a return, the loop becomes a splitter.
- You should put the parallel loops last in the signal path. Any loops placed after the parallel loops will be cut out of the signal path.
- The line mixer output is what goes to your amp, the PBC's output is used as the dry signal to go to the mixer.

Thinking about it, as the effects are going to be in parallel, can i split to mono each loop on which they are and thus get another 3 mono loops ?
I mean for ex. parallel effect on loop 4, 5 and 6 which are split to mono. One side (lets say the Tip) goes to the input of one of those 3 effect which outputs in stereo to the line mixer, and the other side (lets say the ring) goes to another mono loop which, according to what you said should be placed before those 3 parallel effect loops.

EDIT : i guess not possible since nothing has to be plugged into those loops return. But would it be possible if i get another mixer and put those 3 mono loops into this other mixer ?

And why does dry output of the PBC has to go to the mixer ? Can it not be used instead to go to another amp and thus get a wet dry sound (PBC output dry to one amp and mixer output with effects set to kill dry to another "wet" amp) ?

Last edited:
You're correct that splitting a loop will not allow you to use half of it for parallel and half for series. You could, I believe, use both halves for parallel sends, though.

The dry output doesn't have to go to a mixer, it can go to a dry amp.

Thank you.

If i wanna go stereo out of the mixer to 2 amps (left and right), do the mixer outputs have an isolated transformer ? I have not seen this mentionned in the manual so i guess not. Then what alternatives do i have ?

On another subject :
I wanna put the 2 channels of my HC30 amp into the insert loop (split to mono, channel 1 in insert 1 and channel 2 in insert 2)
Does the buffer present on this loop apply on both insert 1 and insert 2 ?

Last edited:
You'll need external transformers if you run into ground loop issues. There are a few out there by Ebtech, Radial Engineering and others.

Yes, both sides of the insert loop are buffered, and that still applies when the loop is split.

Thank you.
I just received the Mini Line Mixer.
Why is it better (recommanded) to use the right output instead of the left if only one output is to be used ?
Does it make any difference on the sound ?

If you plug a mono plug into the L/TRS jack, and nothing into the R/Mono jack, the output signal for the right side will be shorted to ground on the output plug (because it's trying to send the right side to the ring of a TRS plug).

Thank you. Why is it worse to have the right side shorted to ground (when plugging a mono jack into the L/TRS output) than having the left side ignored anyway when plugging a mono into the R output ?

If I got it right in both cases I'll get only one side of the signal anyway when plugging a mono jack with nothing on the other output so what is the difference ?

It doesn't make much difference, but if you plug into the R/Mono input, the signal is sent to both sides, so the right side opamp is sending signal to ground. It's going through a resistor, so it won't blow up, but it will draw a little more current and make the opamp work harder.

You should put the parallel loops last in the signal path. Any loops placed after the parallel loops will be cut out of the signal path.
I don't understand this comment. Please would you elaborate? I was under the impression that if you don't return your parallel effects to the PBC/6X, the dry signal just carries onto the next loop. Will the following not work?

Code:
  1 →→→ 2 →→→ 3 →→→ + →→→ 4 → dry → 5 → dry → 6 →→→ out (dry)
 ↓ ↑   ↓ ↑   ↓ ↑   ↓ ↑    ↓         ↓        ↓ ↑ 
 s/r   s/r   s/r   s/r    s         s        s/r
pedal pedal pedal  amp  mixer     mixer     pedal
                          |---------|
                               ↓
                               ↓
                           out (wet)

I realize that this is a slightly contrived order; I'm just trying to understand Any loops placed after the parallel loops will be cut out of the signal path.

My original comment wasn't really correct, your diagram is good. The pedal in the last loop will still have an effect on the dry signal, it just won't be sent to the inputs of the parallel effects. I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that.

Back