Second buffer for the MEG

cgscotto

I have a fairly long cable run from one of the loops on a MEG to an effect on my pedal board. The input cable to the MEG goes into the buffered input. My question is do I need a second buffer on the long cable run from the MEG to the pedal board or is the buffer on the input of the MEG sufficient to drive the long cable from the MEG loop?

I am using good Mogami cables, but the effect connected to the long cable run from the MEG loop might sound a little duller.

The CS Output on the MEG also has a buffer, so you're covered (assuming you're using that output).

Yes, I am using the CS on the MEG, but I was concerned about the long cable run from loop 2 to the effects pedal and then the cable run back to the MEG. Are you saying that the buffer on the CS output takes care of long cable runs between the input buffer and the CS?

I misunderstood, I read too fast and thought you were talking about the connection from the MEG to the amp. The performance of the pedal in that loop will depend on what's before it, and how good the output of the pedal is. If you only have loop 2 turned on, the cable leading to its input will be driven directly by the MEG's input buffer, so there should be no problem there. The pedal itself drives the cable leading back to the MEG, so as long as its output is good it'll be fine.

Yes, that is it. Currently, I don't have anything in loop 1, so loop 2 (when it is engaged) directly follows the buffer. I have the output of the effects pedal going into a buffer before returning to the return of loop 2 on the MEG, so I am good there as well.

You did give me an idea, I could actually move something else into loop 1, put a buffer in loop 2, and my long cable run to the effects pedal in loop 3. Then, as long as I have loop 2 and 3 on at the same time, the long cable run will be buffered.

Thanks.

Back