Selecting presets/program change with Axefx II

Glennski

Just a question about the behaviour of changing presets, I think I might have a wrong setting somewhere...

I'm running with bidirectional data ON, and everything works great except if you change presets in rapid succession, both units seem to get confused and you sometimes don't end up on the last button pressed. This shouldn't be a problem in normal use, but I guess the situation could come up if your feet are being a bit sloppy and press the wrong preset, then you quickly correct.

What happens midi-wise when you change a preset on the GT? Is it that the axefx is copying the pc message back to the GT as if you've turned the knob on the axefx? The midi in on the axefx seems to light up a few times each press of the button. Is it just a limitation with midi speed and the messages don't neccessarily arrive/leave FIFO?

Also if I change the preset from the axefx, the yellow edited button lights up. I actually just spun the big knob on the axefx and now they are stuck in a loop changing from preset 49 to preset 26! Pressing preset buttons on the GT or axefx isn't breaking the loop, only changing it from looping between 26 and whatever I choose. I'm sure I have a wrong setting, it works great in the axefx youtube video.

I'm not sure if this have anything to do with it, but in the setup page the Midi Rx Channel is set to none for receiving PC messages which is the default - should that stop the axefx from controlling the preset number on the GT normally? Or does bidirectional override that?

I hope I'm not being too confusing :) Thanks for your help!

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

Do you have any other MIDI devices defined in the GT that are on the same MIDI channel as the Axe-Fx? That's the only situation where I've seen that problem pop up.

Eureka!

Still getting my head around how it all works together, but it makes perfect sense! While trying to figure out something else I did a factory reset and set it up pretty much exactly as you did in the youtube video - including leaving the rack gizmo (which I don't have) in slot 1, but I left the axefx midi channel as 1, so that would explain the double up in pc messages, edited light on the axefx etc..

An easy troubleshoot. Thanks Ron! :)

Back