Send CCs on preset change

cgscotto

Hello,
I am still getting a handle on programming the Mastermind LT. Coming from the old Mastermind, several things are different about programming the LT. In the first video on programming the LT, after setting up button pages, you go to button pages, activate the what you want on the device, and then save using the Page/IA Store button. The video demonstrates that you can even recall program changes on devices, such as the H9, Mobius, and Timeline (all of which are in my rack). In other words, I don't have to program the MEG, for example, by first sending a program change message to the MEG, and then pressing the Write button on the MEG.

If I am understanding everything correctly, this new method of programming a preset works because on a device's setup page, you select "Send CCs on preset change" (and you have "Send On Preset Change" and "Update State On Preset Change" in each IA button.

Using this method of programming, I am having problems with programming a preset with my Y-Not and JP-2C. On the Y-Not Device page, I have everything setup as I described above and program the Y-Not in a preset as described above. However, when I choose the programmed preset, the Y-Not flashes the proper A or B selection, then goes dark and selects nothing. The same thing happens with the JP-2C. It seems as if each piece is receiving multiple messages, PC and CC. The only way to get these pieces to work is to turn off "Send On Preset Change" and program the old way, send a PC change, select what I want on the device, then press the write button (store switch on the JP-2C). I have tried turning off send PC changes and other things, but I cannot get these two pieces to work like the H9, Mobius, and Timeline.

Any idea what I am doing wrong? Thanks.

Those two devices can be controlled by both PCs and CCs, and (unlike the other products you have), CCs control the same things that PCs do. So, if you send CCs then a PC, the PC will have precedence and will change whatever the CCs had just turned on. If you want to set up to do programming using IA buttons on the LT, then on the Devices tab turn off Send PC for both the Y-Not and JP2C devices. That will prevent any PCs from being sent to them.

Those two devices can be controlled by both PCs and CCs, and (unlike the other products you have), CCs control the same things that PCs do. So, if you send CCs then a PC, the PC will have precedence and will change whatever the CCs had just turned on. If you want to set up to do programming using IA buttons on the LT, then on the Devices tab turn off Send PC for both the Y-Not and JP2C devices. That will prevent any PCs from being sent to them.

Thanks, I will try that. I may be wrong, but the advantage to programming with IA buttons seems to be that if you go an IA page after selecting a preset, the button's on/off states on the LT will match the state of the "buttons" on the device.

Correct. That, and you have direct, manual access to turning on individual features

Well, I unchecked "Send PC" in the Y-Not's device page, but the Y-Not still reacted as if it was receiving both PC and CC messages. Just to be sure it was not another device sending PC messages, connected the LT directly to the Y-Not. The only thing that seems to work is in the Y-Not device page selecting "Send PC" and unchecking "Send CC on present change."

Also, if I save the button state on the Y-Not button page of a preset, when I choose the preset the button state updates, but does not change the button on the Y-Not. I know this is because I have deslected "Send CC on Preset Change," but it did not work when I had it selected. This same procedure on the MEG works perfectly. I also notice that when I deselect "Send PC" on the device page of the Y-Not, that option disappears from the preset pages in editor software. In spite of deselecting "Send PC," could the LT still be sending PC messages? Just for comparison, I have a second Y-Not and it behaves the same way.

As always, Thanks

It sounds to me like you have multiple buttons controlling the Y-Not and they're conflicting. If you'd like to send me your settings, I can investigate.

I can send you the .rjs file, if that is what you mean by settings. I have uploaded it. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• JP-2C.rjs
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
You have four buttons that control the Y-Not, A, B, A or B, A and B. Each one of them is programmed to send CC messages when you change presets. Three of the buttons are controlling loop A and three of them are controlling loop B. This is where the problem is coming from.

For example, if you turn on the A button and save it, and all other buttons are off, the LT will send the following commands for the current preset:

A button sends "turn A on" message
B button sends "turn B off" message
"A or B" button sends "turn A on, B off" message
"A and B" button sends "turn A off, B off" message

Since they're sent in that order, A and B both turn off because that's what the last button tells the Y-Not to do.

There are a few ways to fix this, but perhaps the easiest is to get rid of the "A or B "and "A and B" buttons. Then, for each preset, you can use the two buttons to program whether A and/or B are on - you still have access to all possible combinations of A and B states. But, getting rid of the other buttons will avoid conflicts.

Great! Everything works perfectly now. Plus, I have a better understanding of how the programming works, which let me reorganize some of my button pages and external buttons more efficiently. I also love that on a button page that controls buttons controlling different devices, I can distinguish the button groups by assigning them different on/off colors. The LT is a great midi pedal, and so is the editing software. Thanks again for all the help.

Back