Sending CC Commands From DAW to IA Buttons

Michael Scarabino

Hey Ron,

I'm having a tough time cracking this trick. I want the MMGT to receive a CC command from my DAW to turn IA buttons on/off. I see what it says in the manual about cc values compared against actions in the action list, however I'm struggling to find which CC value I need. What I think is that I need to find the right CC on/off value for an individual IA button.

For example, I have an IA button that when switched on, triggers a PC for a whammy pedal preset, and triggers a CC for it's loop in the Rocktron Patchmate (treating it as an effect gizmo). I attached an image with the button settings. In this instance, what would be the correct CC value to use in my DAW for this?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 5.32.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 5.32.40 PM.png
    138.8 KB · Views: 1
To set up CC Link, you first need to set up a devce for the DAW in the Devices tab. Then, on your button, add a CC Toggle action that is set up to send a CC message to the DAW. This action needs to be the first action in the list. The CC number can be anything. Values are typically 0 for the off value and 127 for the on value. Send this CC to the GT and it will control the button.

I did everything you recommended and it makes sense, however my DAW is still not sending the CC command. It's working fine for PC's though! I beat my head for hours on this. These are my current settings in the GT Editor, and you can see in my DAW that I have the control setup corresponding with the IA button.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 12.53.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 12.53.04 AM.png
    117.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 12.53.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 12.53.18 AM.png
    186.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 12.53.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 12.53.32 AM.png
    144.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 12.53.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 12.53.52 AM.png
    82 KB · Views: 5
Try changing the PC/CC Device to something other than channel 5, and sending the CCs on that channel. The "MIDI Receive Channel" (which is responsible for handling incoming PCs) may be conflicting with the PC/CC device on the same channel.

I"m looking to have my DAW send PC's for presets, and CC's for IA buttons in one single session. So do I need to create 2 separate devices on their own channels in both the GT and my DAW?

PC reception is controlled by MIDI Receive Channel - any PC coming in on that channel will change presets on the GT. Device settings don't affect this at all.

CC Link is done on a per-device basis. It needs to have a device defined, and that device needs to have a unique MIDI channel not used in another device or in MIDI receive channel.

I don't know your DAW software, but you may need a second device defined in the DAW, if that's what it takes to send PCs on one channel and PCs on another.

Another thing that I forgot to mention is that MIDI Port is relevant. For example, if you have your GT connected to the computer with a direct USB connection, the device you've set up in the GT's settings to represent the computer needs to have MIDI Port set to USB.

Ahhhh ok that was a little difficult to understand, my apologies for the back and forth! So with that said, I got somewhere! I have my DAW set with the GT working with channel 5 for PC's, and channel 6 for CC's. The devices on the GT are set respectively. However, the IA triggers only when I hit the stop button on the DAW's cursor when it's crossing it's automation command.... I must've inverted something.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 6.14.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 6.14.35 PM.png
    68.7 KB · Views: 1
When I disconnect the device for the PC's, and I go to hit play, THEN the CC channel works properly. Now I just have to find out how to get these 2 to work flawlessly together.

You might want to try turning off Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change on your CC Linked buttons. That will prevent them from responding to preset changes on the GT.

Ron, I want to thank you for your most incredible help and patience! Everything is working just fine! Some concepts of this are tricky to understand at first but then again, I've never worked with something like this before, it's quite a system. But seriously, score one for RJM on best customer service ever!

Back